Warburton's "Mark"

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Warburton's "Mark"

Post by Robespierre »

This forum seems to be well-populated by old’uns from the 50s and 60s when the game had traditional values!
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:59 pm
Big Dai wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:27 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:49 pm In my early playing days (1955) onwards a mark was called on a clean catch and a heel striking the turf, I don't think it even had to be inside the twenty five, of course as a prop it was not an essential part of my game and even when I guessed in the backs I don't recall resorting to that tactic. I do remember playing away to Bedworth, never the most genteel of sides in the 60's or early 70's when a young hooker for us called mark, the disdain and what would now be classed as homophobic comment he received from the home front row led to an entertaining time at the ensuing lineout.
In the 50's there was " forced out" a slight touch.On a ball carrying winger would see them leaping out of play to retain the ball at the lineout.
I do agree line outs were more simple and quicker with no lifting and probably a winger throwing the ball in.
Yup....The inside the 25 (Nice one!) was a later addition. From memory about the same time as bouncing kiks into touch from outside the line.....though I may be wrong there. A lot of laws concerning the relevance of the 25 were changed during my time as a turf inspector. Including its name.

I loved line outs! The winger threw in and a fight broke out. Marvellous!!!
I remember, vaguely, back to the early 60s when I was an enthusiastic young schoolboy fullback, catching the ball and screaming MARK and simultaneously thrusting my heel into the soggy turf. Yes, them’s were the days when wingers threw the ball in line outs. Can you imagine Johnny May doing that today?!!!
At least Henry Arundell would get the ball in his hands 🤣
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:04 pm
Yup....The inside the 25 (Nice one!) was a later addition. From memory about the same time as bouncing kiks into touch from outside the line.....though I may be wrong there. A lot of laws concerning the relevance of the 25 were changed during my time as a turf inspector. Including its name.

I remember, vaguely, back to the early 60s when I was an enthusiastic young schoolboy fullback, catching the ball and screaming MARK and simultaneously thrusting my heel into the soggy turf. Yes, them’s were the days when wingers threw the ball in line outs. Can you imagine Johnny May doing that today?!!!
😂😂
Semper in excretia
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:49 pm In my early playing days (1955) onwards a mark was called on a clean catch and a heel striking the turf, I don't think it even had to be inside the twenty five, of course as a prop it was not an essential part of my game and even when I guessed in the backs I don't recall resorting to that tactic. I do remember playing away to Bedworth, never the most genteel of sides in the 60's or early 70's when a young hooker for us called mark, the disdain and what would now be classed as homophobic comment he received from the home front row led to an entertaining time at the ensuing lineout.
In the 50's there was " forced out" a slight touch.On a ball carrying winger would see them leaping out of play to retain the ball at the lineout.
I do agree line outs were more simple and quicker with no lifting and probably a winger throwing the ball in.

I do often wonder why more players don't practice lineout throwing... I mean what is it about the 2 or 16 shirt that means you're the best at throwing in.

I always thought it started being the Hookers because they were the smallest front row player...

Some of the fantastic passes 9's or 10's make are amazing in open play. Surely with practice they could do it

I mean a lot of sides have a forward in the receiver position, why not have the 9 throw in, they may be the guy with a more accurate throw if they actually practiced the skill
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:31 pm

I do often wonder why more players don't practice lineout throwing... I mean what is it about the 2 or 16 shirt that means you're the best at throwing in.

I always thought it started being the Hookers because they were the smallest front row player...

Some of the fantastic passes 9's or 10's make are amazing in open play. Surely with practice they could do it

I mean a lot of sides have a forward in the receiver position, why not have the 9 throw in, they may be the guy with a more accurate throw if they actually practiced the skill
The hooker joins the back of the maul after though and guides it after receiving the ball back,love to see a 9 do that :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:04 pm

The hooker joins the back of the maul after though and guides it after receiving the ball back,love to see a 9 do that :smt005
Yes but if you put your hooker in the "receiver" position they can join the maul quicker from there than the thrower.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:10 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:04 pm

Yes but if you put your hooker in the "receiver" position they can join the maul quicker from there than the thrower.
Or let’s just let the hooker carry on throwing in 🤷‍♀️
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:04 pm

Yes back in the day, the winger would throw in the ball, standing sideways on, ball resting in the palm of 1 hand, he would deliver it like a fast bowler, releasing it as his hand and arm came over. And you did all you could to get ball into touch from wherever to retain the line out.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:31 pm I mean a lot of sides have a forward in the receiver position, why not have the 9 throw in, they may be the guy with a more accurate throw if they actually practiced the skill
Didn't this happen in the 80s / 90s in France and Oz? Or am I dreaming it?!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

No lifting made the lineout much more of a fair competition based on the ability of the locks to jump .. the only advantage on put in was knowing where it was supposed to be going
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Much more fair, the talent required to get a foot on the opposing jumpers toes or a hand in his pocket. Props legally blocking in the line-out to protect the catcher and the 9. I will say though that lineouts were quicker no need for a conference before the throw.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:11 am Much more fair, the talent required to get a foot on the opposing jumpers toes or a hand in his pocket. Props legally blocking in the line-out to protect the catcher and the 9. I will say though that lineouts were quicker no need for a conference before the throw.
An let’s be honest unless you were playing at the top of the sport an absolute mess, and even at the top it wasn’t ideal
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:47 am
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:11 am Much more fair, the talent required to get a foot on the opposing jumpers toes or a hand in his pocket. Props legally blocking in the line-out to protect the catcher and the 9. I will say though that lineouts were quicker no need for a conference before the throw.
An let’s be honest unless you were playing at the top of the sport an absolute mess, and even at the top it wasn’t ideal
That was the point of it. A restart that gave a chance to both sides of getting the ball rather than the aerial ballet of today.

Personally I loved the mess!!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"