Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Premiership - Saturday 4th November - KO:15-05

Post by markharbtiger »

fentiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:13 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:07 pm Somebody call a fire engine for the StoneX. The pundits are blowing so much smoke up Sarries’ :censored:.
Really grates my goose all that fawning over the London clubs, did you hear Monye all over Quins again? If they were at least dispassionate we could put up with him and Dayglo!
I don't expect anything else - always been that way
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Van Wyk must be good in training.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I am not too disheartened by that result. I thought we were going to be on the end of an English cricket score defeat.
If we had put all our World Cup stars into the Home fixture of this game and only won by this margin then some would be calling for the head coach to go. Sarries loaded their team, that will bite them later in the season. Sensible decision not to by us. Also proves our squad players are capable of holding their own.
True I am what used to be called a happy clapper, but let’s not lob the baby out with the bath water. We lost against Sarries away with all their stars. Caps v Caps I think they would win by some considerable margin.
It could be worse, we could be Bath who have hardly anyone coming back and on the back of 2 defeats…I text my Bath mates that!!
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

I'm am old bunny.
Tigers has always had to rely on 2nd and 3rd string teams during International periods and invariably they have kept us in the fight during the season.
I am proud of the effort today against a full bore Sorries. who have targeted this game and showed us the respect by jeopardising their Internationals and resting against newcastle away
Its not how you start the season.......
With 6N in the new year we will be reliant on others to get us in touch. Sorries have suffered with the obvious absentees.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Wellscity wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:39 pm I'm am old bunny.
Tigers has always had to rely on 2nd and 3rd string teams during International periods and invariably they have kept us in the fight during the season.
I am proud of the effort today against a full bore Sorries. who have targeted this game and showed us the respect by jeopardising their Internationals and resting against newcastle away
Its not how you start the season.......
With 6N in the new year we will be reliant on others to get us in touch. Sorries have suffered with the obvious absentees.
There are no clashes between the 6 nations and the premiership in 2024 - other than possibly the week before it starts when I assume we lose the English contingent for a training week (we are away to quins)
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:05 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:03 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:02 pm Thought Kata showed promise :smt023
Who did he come on for?
he replaced Porter but seemed to play 12 with Kelly moving to 13
Dan Kelly did start as a 13. The best teams seem to have a bigger 12 to get them over the gainline - something Kata can do for us. Wouldn’t mind seeing Kata / Kelly starting together next match.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:53 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:05 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:03 pm

Who did he come on for?
he replaced Porter but seemed to play 12 with Kelly moving to 13
Dan Kelly did start as a 13. The best teams seem to have a bigger 12 to get them over the gainline - something Kata can do for us. Wouldn’t mind seeing Kata / Kelly starting together next match.
we are short of 13 options Cokanasiga is a 12 and with Scott out it only really leaves Porter from the senior squad so if Kelly can do that it will be very useful
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:17 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:13 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:07 pm Somebody call a fire engine for the StoneX. The pundits are blowing so much smoke up Sarries’ :censored:.
Really grates my goose all that fawning over the London clubs, did you hear Monye all over Quins again? If they were at least dispassionate we could put up with him and Dayglo!
I don't expect anything else - always been that way
Posters on here moan about all the summarises. You can't have it all ways. Would much prefer Kay than any of the others they have knocking around.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Closer than I was expecting. But why not kick penalties, Saracens are always willing to give away penalties and rely on scramble defence, they can't defend a kick. The handling is laughable at times, and they don't seem that bothered when they drop a pass. That said so many passes at head height or on toes. For professional players the lack of ability to give and take a pass is embarrassing.

From where I was sitting it looked like many of the stolen lineouts were under thrown.
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

I wonder how our internationals feel watching that game, and whether they’d prefer to be out there playing and helping the club or taking the rest after a gruelling World Cup.

The sarries internationals genuinely looked happy to be out there to me
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

nicmattyg wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:58 pm The sarries internationals genuinely looked happy to be out there to me
Probably because they know they haven't got to go to Kingston Park next week! :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Kata looks good.

I personally i'm glad we didn't play the England internationals yet. Other games I would rather play them in.

Next week I would have
1. Cronin, 2. Dolly, 3. Cole
4. Martin/Chessum, 5. Henderson
6. Hanro, 7. Reffell, 8. Rogerson
9. Youngs, 10. Shillcock
12. Kelly, 13. Kata
11. OHC, 14. Bassett, 15. Steward

16. Montoya, 17. Whitcombe, 18. Hurd
19. Martin/Chessum, 20. Ilione/Cracknell
21. Whiteley, 22. Atkinson, 23. Porter
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Pretty well agree RB, but would probably have Montoya starting.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:44 pm Closer than I was expecting. But why not kick penalties, Saracens are always willing to give away penalties and rely on scramble defence, they can't defend a kick. The handling is laughable at times, and they don't seem that bothered when they drop a pass. That said so many passes at head height or on toes. For professional players the lack of ability to give and take a pass is embarrassing..
I agree, I'm a little baffled at what I've seen in four games...

Where are the creative attacking lines? Offloads? Inside passes? Anything to keep the opposition guessing! We just use one off runners, time and again. And without Jasper, few of them have the raw power to make a difference. TBH, I'd change the attack coach immediately if this is his work.

I might accept the Borthwick-style kicking it to death of it was effective, but when the opposition are catching it and successfully returning it every time, it's bonkers to just keep doing it. Bassett and OHC are barely touching the ball.

I have to say it l, but I don't think this squad is as good as we thought.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I quite enjoyed the match althoughTigers' line out this afternoon was unusually poor, but the moment that made me grin like a Cheshire cat was when Shillcock handed off Farrell and scored!
Altogether, it was quite a gutsy performance against a star-studded side.
Semper in excretia