Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Premiership - Saturday 4th November - KO:15-05

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:54 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:45 pm oh btw JGriffin, other sides have their England players back too, not all started we seem to be about the only side to not pick them.

RFU need to have a rule regarding this stuff
They are supposed to have, for player welfare. However, there are get-outs, of course - like no penalties for ignoring them.
I am glad we have our players welfare at heart. We were never going to play Pollard anyway on that abomination of a pitch. BTW all but 5 points for Sarries were scored by players in the WC semis.
I don't disagree with you on the welfare thing but I am annoyed that we always willingly take a weakened team to face Sarries, we give them a huge mental edge before they even travel to the match. If we have to rest the players do so at Newcastle not Sarries
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Lots of positives from that given the opposition was stacked with un-rested RWC players, and it was a strong finish. The point was made by Flatman that Tigers have quality to come. My worry is whether 5 points is already too far off the pace?
Last edited by markharbtiger on Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

LE18 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:57 pm Better score than I was expecting, still a loss but not murdered.
Indeed, considering the disparity in playing staff if I were Saracens I'd be disappointed with that margin!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:57 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:54 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:45 pm oh btw JGriffin, other sides have their England players back too, not all started we seem to be about the only side to not pick them.

They are supposed to have, for player welfare. However, there are get-outs, of course - like no penalties for ignoring them.
I am glad we have our players welfare at heart. We were never going to play Pollard anyway on that abomination of a pitch. BTW all but 5 points for Sarries were scored by players in the WC semis.
I don't disagree with you on the welfare thing but I am annoyed that we always willingly take a weakened team to face Sarries, we give them a huge mental edge before they even travel to the match. If we have to rest the players do so at Newcastle not Sarries
Thats a gamble, it could be win1 or lose 2. Which do you prefer?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Gloucester haven't selected theirs and I don't think Bristol have either. Sale picked some but not all. I think Sarries are the only team that went full bore.

Considering the side we had unavailable I think we did pretty well to keep it to 34-17. First choice 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15 all to comeback in. More than 300 caps worth of international experience amongst that.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Thought Kata showed promise :smt023
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

fentiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:02 pm Thought Kata showed promise :smt023
Who did he come on for?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

fentiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:00 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:57 pm Better score than I was expecting, still a loss but not murdered.
Indeed, considering the disparity in playing staff if I were Saracens I'd be disappointed with that margin!
Hmmm not quite sure about that. Yes we had loads of players missing but still a decent side we had out.
A2O
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:02 pm

Gloucester haven't selected theirs and I don't think Bristol have either. Sale picked some but not all. I think Sarries are the only team that went full bore.

Considering the side we had unavailable I think we did pretty well to keep it to 34-17. First choice 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15 all to comeback in. More than 300 caps worth of international experience amongst that.
our first choice 14 is still a month away, assuming he's fit come December, we don't have a real 14 as Kata is needed in the centres to give us some grunt there. Bassett is a left winger is the lad we got from Jersey still with us and is he more of a left wing or right wing?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:03 pm
fentiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:02 pm Thought Kata showed promise :smt023
Who did he come on for?
he replaced Porter but seemed to play 12 with Kelly moving to 13
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

We are 5 points off top 4. (Will probably be 6 points off after tomorrow)

We have more players than any others to return (given Sarries are already back)

Personally think that's a good position to be in...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Somebody call a fire engine for the StoneX. The pundits are blowing so much smoke up Sarries’ :censored:.
Sampy

Post by Sampy »

Tigers played well considering the difference in internationals. Defence and scrum did well as did the half backs controlling the game. Big difference was losing the collisions which was expected with the teams named. Not seen Itoje dominate a game like that for years too. Would expect our lineout issues today to be sorted next week in part with Montoya, Chessum and Martin coming back but mostly because we won't be against Itoje. Great to see Kata come on and give us some much needed gainline success and attract defenders. Hopefully Kelly and Porter will find some form soon, I imagine it'll come when the pack starts getting on the front foot.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I’d be interested to know what the relative international and club caps were for that fixture. What made me laugh was Flats saying that the Sarries returnees were given the option of playing at home to Tigers today, or next week away at Newcastle! :smt043
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:07 pm Somebody call a fire engine for the StoneX. The pundits are blowing so much smoke up Sarries’ :censored:.
Really grates my goose all that fawning over the London clubs, did you hear Monye all over Quins again? If they were at least dispassionate we could put up with him and Dayglo!