Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bath (A) - Premiership - Saturday 28th October 2023 - KO:15-05

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Shillcock you beauty! Great game

Terrible terrible conditions.

Powell had a shocker. However I'm not ruling him out of contention for us in the future.

Our last 4 main scrum halves have been Youngs, Van Poortvliet, Wigglesworth & White. All four now accomplished internationals.

The other thing with those four is they are all consistent, as the Rolling Maul pod they are in the 8 out of 10 club. Powell is not that sort of scrum half, he is a maverick who may win us a game, create something out of nothing, he will also have shockers. He came onto the pitch unlike those who were used to playing in it, had acclimatised, he dropped a kickoff, unfortunate. He also gave one silly penalty. Liebenberg gave a daft penalty earlier in the game.

Today he owes Shillcock and Van Wyk a pint, but no baby and bathwater moments. He played poorly vs Bristol and today, was fantastic vs Newcastle though.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Generally, the forum predicted wins for the first two games and a loss for this one, so please keep predicting; ideally a loss next week. :smt005
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Powell looks like a player who is too keen to show the cute tricks than concentrating on the basics.

Why block a player who has hoofed it too far to get near to regathering the ball.

Some penalties are forced, some are overeagerness, some are an anger, some for benefit but this was in the utterly dumb as there was no gain to be made in an era of video reviews and consequences great.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

daktari wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:35 pm Is it just me but Is TNT’s coverage…well a bit pants
Yes.

Their commentary team suggested that Spencer’s break was a great attack when it was pure chance that the kick was touched in flight to play him onside rather than any action on his or Bath’s side.

No that’s luck rather than skill and arguably lazy for not retreating.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:30 pm BT Sports app changed its name to TNT Sports and I log in with the same user details and password as before.
separate apps but you can switch over for free
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:44 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:30 pm BT Sports app changed its name to TNT Sports and I log in with the same user details and password as before.
Mine just changed its name with an update.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

mol2 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:43 pm
daktari wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:35 pm Is it just me but Is TNT’s coverage…well a bit pants
Yes.

Their commentary team suggested that Spencer’s break was a great attack when it was pure chance that the kick was touched in flight to play him onside rather than any action on his or Bath’s side.

Goode also called out how stupid that law is and the main commentator followed it up, as I said a few pages back that law needs amending somehow so a player 70 meters downfield isn't suddenly legal because someone comes close to charging down the kick, I suggested everyone within 10 metres of the kick becomes onside as a fairer law.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:47 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:44 pm
Mine just changed its name with an update.
they must have done that more recently, that said discovery+ isn't just for the sport they have it has everything
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

mol2 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:43 pm
Yes.

True, but I thought Andy Goode was very pro Tigers. Although, I have to say, I try and block them out as much as possible. I'm still waiting for them to shut up when the ref is saying something important; "Well, we heard the ref there..." No we didn't because you were blathering on and you have a ref feed.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It always seemed daft that it could play an offside player onside.

Those in front of the kick should still be offside and thus out of the game until they have retreated or played onside by the kicker.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fortysix wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:30 pm I think Steward needs to reinvent himself. He would certainly make a sturdy No 12, and imagine
Brown/ Shillcock
Watson
Kata
Steward
Hassell Collins
Pollard
JVP
SB must be taking note of Hodge and Carpenter, so our problem position in the centres needs resolving . Kelly and Porter seem to have regressed badly.

And on another note, Genge would make a great No 8..
I wonder if posts like this are partly tongue in cheek or just rugby ignorant.
Firstly let’s forget about Steward at 12, he is not nor will he ever be Jordie Barrett. He is however the full back that was unanimously voted the best 15 in the World Cup semifinals.
As for Kelly and Porter they haven’t suddenly become bad players. What has happened is that they are playing outside untried half back pairing and the forward pack that gives them decent ball aren’t there.
Oh did anyone mention the weather.

As for Genge at 8 yes he will run over people but what about all the other aspects of the 8s role
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:52 pm
fortysix wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:30 pm I think Steward needs to reinvent himself. He would certainly make a sturdy No 12, and imagine
Brown/ Shillcock
Watson
Kata
Steward
Hassell Collins
Pollard
JVP
SB must be taking note of Hodge and Carpenter, so our problem position in the centres needs resolving . Kelly and Porter seem to have regressed badly.

And on another note, Genge would make a great No 8..
Firstly let’s forget about Steward at 12, he is not nor will he ever be Jordie Barrett. He is however the full back that was unanimously voted the best 15 in the World Cup semifinals.
As for Kelly and Porter they haven’t suddenly become bad players. What has happened is that they are playing outside untried half back pairing and the forward pack that gives them decent ball aren’t there.

As for Genge at 8 yes he will run over people but what about all the other aspects of the 8s role
Steward is only 22. He’s got plenty to work on but I’m sure in 10 years time he’ll be known as one of Tigers and England’s best fullbacks of all time.

Thought Barbeary did well for Bath. If he can stay fit he’s very much in the Wiese mould that SB has been craving for in an England shirt!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Barbeary has done well since moving from hooker , the difference with Genge is that Alfie has done it early in career, as mentioned his biggest issue is his fitness.

Notable Tom Willis scored 2 tries last night in a head to head with Mercer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:52 pm

All Ellis Genge has to do fix his form is to put his hand up and say "sorry Leicester I made a mistake can I come back please and I am really sorry I allowed Pat Lam make me look a chump in that video after signing for the wrong club"
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I do agree about Genge. He is a very aggressive loosehead scrummager which he could do with Tigers as there was Cole locking out the tighthead side.
He doesn’t have that luxury with Bristol and rarely had it with England in France