Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Nation's League approved

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... sport.html

The old boys club won the vote...
6N, Rugby Championship, Fiji & Japan, from 2026 will only play each until th earliest of 2031...

So no more top tier games for (outside of the World Cup)

Portugal
Georgia
Spain
Chile
Uruguay etc

One more nail in the coffin of the sport
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Nation's League approved

Post by Scott1 »

Narrowest of margins 41 to 10 :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:47 pm https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... sport.html

The old boys club won the vote...
6N, Rugby Championship, Fiji & Japan, from 2026 will only play each until th earliest of 2031...

So no more top tier games for (outside of the World Cup)

Portugal
Georgia
Spain
Chile
Uruguay etc

One more nail in the coffin of the sport
So sad that, thought that Agustin might just swing it in favour of tier 2. We saw some great spirited sides in the RWC, I would have liked to see more.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

DIdnt really expect the turkeys to be voting for Christmas did we?
I'm not cynical just experienced
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Can they not see that rugby has topped out in the existing nations and is on the decline in many. The newer rugby nations are the only way of growing the game but that is ignored. As long as they keep filling the stadiums with walking cash cows as few times a year they are happy. Even that will start to see a decline soon I reckon.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

At least there's promotion and relegation. Eventually.

And at least the lower ranked tier 2 nations should have more opportunities to play higher ranked tier 2 nations, which is probably more useful than having Chile play the All Black's every year.

Not what I would have voted for, but could have been worse and seems like an improvement on the current status quo.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:39 pm At least there's promotion and relegation. Eventually.

And at least the lower ranked tier 2 nations should have more opportunities to play higher ranked tier 2 nations, which is probably more useful than having Chile play the All Black's every year.

Not what I would have voted for, but could have been worse and seems like an improvement on the current status quo.
There's no promotion or relegation until at least 2030...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

OK, am i getting this right (knowing me I could be totally off the mark)

You have this Tournament starting in July, then you have a Pacific nations tournament in August/September and I am assuming the Rugby Championship as that is normally July/August time and then back to this new tournament in October and November then the 6 Nations in February and March. Bearing in mind that you have to fit player rest periods in that, this would leave the clubs without some or all of their international players until the last few weeks of the season. In fact, if you look at a couple of weeks off at least post 6 Nations and maybe more with little or no break for the year before and with expectation that they will be back on international training at the beginning of June.

Goodbye club rugby
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

GB72 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:33 pm OK, am i getting this right (knowing me I could be totally off the mark)

You have this Tournament starting in July, then you have a Pacific nations tournament in August/September and I am assuming the Rugby Championship as that is normally July/August time and then back to this new tournament in October and November then the 6 Nations in February and March. Bearing in mind that you have to fit player rest periods in that, this would leave the clubs without some or all of their international players until the last few weeks of the season. In fact, if you look at a couple of weeks off at least post 6 Nations and maybe more with little or no break for the year before and with expectation that they will be back on international training at the beginning of June.

Goodbye club rugby
My understanding is that this fits into the existing windows and replaces the AIs and 'Summer' (Northern Hemisphere) tours, so on tbe surcace, no change in demands on players .However, any use by the NH teams of the Summer tours for development will probably end
Last edited by Cagey Tiger on Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Would the matches not just replace summer tours and autumn internationals? Genuine question, I don't know the answer.
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:26 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:39 pm At least there's promotion and relegation. Eventually.

There's no promotion or relegation until at least 2030...
That's why I put "eventually" on the end. :smt001

I'd prefer it from the start.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:40 pm
GB72 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:33 pm OK, am i getting this right (knowing me I could be totally off the mark)

Goodbye club rugby
My understanding is that this fits into the existing windows and replaces the AIs and 'Summer' (Northern Hemisphere) tours, so on tbe surcace, no change in demands on players .However, any use by the NH teams of the Summer tours for development will probably end
I will be interested to see how it pans out as there are an awful lot of new and existing matches to fit in. It is also a competitive tournament and so the countries are going to want their squads in training longer in advance and then I cannot see where the player break periods are going to fit in as it will be solid international rugby each year.

I am more than a little worried about what the new player release agreement will bring but I can see clubs saying goodbye to their international players for most of the year.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Looks to me like it’s going the way of cricket which I fear might see the end of club rugby as we know it.
I’ve had lots of younger Tigers’ “supporters “ who still haven’t thought about coming to Welford Road because of us not having our best players available!
I don’t, as an old fashioned type like the new International set up: and I still prefer refs to ref not to have to rely on the TMO!!!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:30 pm Looks to me like it’s going the way of cricket which I fear might see the end of club rugby as we know it.
I’ve had lots of younger Tigers’ “supporters “ who still haven’t thought about coming to Welford Road because of us not having our best players available!
I don’t, as an old fashioned type like the new International set up: and I still prefer refs to ref not to have to rely on the TMO!!!
The attendance is why I feel that we are more at risk than some. We have a big ground and facilities to pay for. We need a decent crowd week in week out and we will not get that with a side devoid of internationals.

Depending on the wording of the player release contract, I fear that club rugby as it is now will cease to exist in 3-5 years tops. TNT are already, according to rumours, looking to cut what they pay for TV rights. I can see 3 or 4 teams going cap in hand to the URC for places soon. In fact, I would be suprised if the URC had not already made vague approaches to some prime clubs to join to strengthen their product. Sadly I think that the Premiership as a viable league and structure is over.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

One thing has crossed my mind which any plan to get the Tier 2 nations playing more games, including this proposal. Any team with T2 international players will see an increased demand for those players as well as any increased demand for their T1 internationals. This could have a particular impact in France with all their Georgian and Pacific Island players (amongst others).
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:04 am One thing has crossed my mind which any plan to get the Tier 2 nations playing more games, including this proposal. Any team with T2 international players will see an increased demand for those players as well as any increased demand for their T1 internationals. This could have a particular impact in France with all their Georgian and Pacific Island players (amongst others).
It is a good point that the internationals from certain nations who were seen as vital to fill gaps during international absences may find themselves less in demand.

This could all come to a head. My thought is that the RFU are going to look at some form of central contract scheme to offset wanting the international players for much of the season (a really bad idea but I suspect what is coming) but what happens to those nations with similar commitments who cannot afford central contracts. Would we want Pollard and Weise if they could only play a few matches a season, or Montoya? How many matches do they need to be here for to be reasonable value. It all becomes very interesting and there is a risk that by pushing through more Tier 2 matches, you then make the players less attractive to their main employers.