Tigers v Sale (H) - Premiership - Saturday 21st October 2023 KO:15:05

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Sale (H) - Premiership - Saturday 21st October 2023 KO:15:05

Post by mol2 »

simoscribbler wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:30 pm Given the absentees I think it's worth noting how well some of the younger players performed: especially Henderson and Heyes. To me they both now look good enough to be starters in even our strongest side.
I think Chessum and Martin might not think so. Heyes is getting better and could have been with England.

I was criticised when I was unhappy at the signing of Williams given the feeble efforts of his previous spell with us. No further comment.

They tried hard but lacked the ability to break the line.

Haskell-Collins looked lonely on the wing. Put himself in space only for the midfield to repeatedly ignore him or go the other way. Even worse they did that when Bassett came over to the left to create an overlap.

Those who said JVP and Young’s might have a fight to start...
Come back Pollard. In the meantime let’s hope Atkinson finds form. I know he was benched today but he seemed more assured when carrying an injured knee!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Bassett and Haskell-Collins were like wingers when I played; keep your hands in your pockets boys against the cold because the ball is only coming to you by accident.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bptiger25

Post by Bptiger25 »

Well I thought we might have got rid of the kick kick kick version of football, but her it is again , no set plays , really nothing , the only time we looked dangerous was in extra time , we need a coach like LAM his team play great attacking football, not the rubbish we are getting .
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Bptiger25 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:17 am Well I thought we might have got rid of the kick kick kick version of football, but her it is again , no set plays , really nothing , the only time we looked dangerous was in extra time , we need a coach like LAM his team play great attacking football, not the rubbish we are getting .
What is it about Lam's style you want us to replicate? The attacking rugby? Regressing scrummaging skills? Or the chronic underachieving?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:00 pm Bassett and Haskell-Collins were like wingers when I played; keep your hands in your pockets boys against the cold because the ball is only coming to you by accident.
I would like them to come off their wings and look for work more but at the same time we found room for OHC to look pretty threatening at times and he did score that very nice try.

I don't think we were particularly kick heavy, more that the defensive alignment was poor. Sale made metres and line breaks far to easily and we had a limited threat at the breakdown. We need more than Cracknell challenging at the breakdown.
Notinthecounty

Post by Notinthecounty »

Just rewatched the winning sale try. Sale player ahead of the ball trips the inside tigers defender ( accident or otherwise), this creates the hole du preez runs through and leaves Kelly stranded.

The officials were poor, for both sides. So much was missed or given the wrong way.

We didn’t slow their ball down enough in defence, the aggression we showed against the Newcastle ruck in the cup doesn’t seem to exist now. We really need a fetcher on the field..

I’m afraid our centres are just not up to scratch, thought sales backs were very good and accurate at pace. Thought for the last couple of years our centres are a bit of weak link in our full team. Kelly hasn’t got back to where he was pre injuries and Porter and Scott do an ok job outside.. usually better in defence than attack.

Our kick chase was atrociously yesterday, hardly anyone actually competed for the ball.

But if your forwards aren’t making the hard yards …
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Look at the fall of Genge if you want the likes of Lam. Genge has disappeared off the rugby planet since he went to Bristol, his woeful scrummaging technique and power ( and Sinckler's) cost us the match v South Africa...
peteD

Post by peteD »

Notinthecounty wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:59 am Just rewatched the winning sale try. Sale player ahead of the ball trips the inside tigers defender ( accident or otherwise), this creates the hole du preez runs through and leaves Kelly stranded.

The officials were poor, for both sides. So much was missed or given the wrong way.

We didn’t slow their ball down enough in defence, the aggression we showed against the Newcastle ruck in the cup doesn’t seem to exist now. We really need a fetcher on the field..

I’m afraid our centres are just not up to scratch, thought sales backs were very good and accurate at pace. Thought for the last couple of years our centres are a bit of weak link in our full team. Kelly hasn’t got back to where he was pre injuries and Porter and Scott do an ok job outside.. usually better in defence than attack.

Our kick chase was atrociously yesterday, hardly anyone actually competed for the ball.

I first thought it was an accidental clash, but seeing the replay you can see him extend his foot to complete the trip!

https://x.com/andygoode10/status/171576 ... d70GAcAZqg
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

To be honest I thought we mixed things up pretty well yesterday.
Hassell Collins nearly scored another try, Mike Brown certainly ran the ball back several times but their defensive line pushed the offside rule to the very limit, their second try was dubious, 3 times the ref had to get the TMO to look at it,from where I sat I couldn’t see if they’d grounded the ball and the replays on the large screen looked inconclusive:the ref was poor for both teams.
Sale thrashed us at home last year and a good many of that squad played today.
Yes they were missing Ford but Du Preez was impressive last season and certainly was yesterday as were all the backs.
Dan McKellar needs patience from us all and it might be a difficult season not just for us but all the teams both playing wise and financially so I’m grateful for the chance to watch my beloved Tigers and to mix with our great fans and those of other teams. Cant make Bath but will be at Sarries which could be a bottom of the table clash!!!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Just seen this social media post from the club: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4515832856

Is anyone aware of anything kicking off yesterday or at the last home game?
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:03 pm Just seen this social media post from the club: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4515832856

What does it say please, for those of us who don't have facebook
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:03 pm Just seen this social media post from the club: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4515832856

Sadly I hope not,but I did chuckle at the comment on there about kicking the ball away
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fortysix wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:00 am Look at the fall of Genge if you want the likes of Lam. Genge has disappeared off the rugby planet since he went to Bristol, his woeful scrummaging technique and power ( and Sinckler's) cost us the match v South Africa...
I wonder if Genge will return to us, once a future England captain and World class LH, now neither and profile going south, which isn't good for business. He will no longer command as much £££.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

peteD wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:15 am
Notinthecounty wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:59 am Just rewatched the winning sale try. Sale player ahead of the ball trips the inside tigers defender ( accident or otherwise), this creates the hole du preez runs through and leaves Kelly stranded.

I first thought it was an accidental clash, but seeing the replay you can see him extend his foot to complete the trip!

I'd be interested to see the Quirke high shot on Kelly again. Was surprised that wasn't brought to sirs attention.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:57 pm
peteD wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:15 am

I'd be interested to see the Quirke high shot on Kelly again. Was surprised that wasn't brought to sirs attention.
I'm sure it was and the response was it was impact on the ball and then caused a bounce up - or words to that effect. This was also mentioned by the commentary team, when Ugo wasn't wittering on about something or other.

It was shoulder to neck area as far as I remember, without seeing it back.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.