Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: 5 Tigers in England U20 squad

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:28 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:14 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:12 pm There must be some English heritage in there somewhere. Grandparents possibly
Must be as he only signed last January. He sounds like a player who's worked his way from the back of the scrum to the front, and historically they've been quite successful!
I may be wrong (as I can't find it now) I have a recollection that due to logistical issues they allow players at age grades (now they cannot be capture teams) to play for the country of their residence &/or education (in addition to other eligibility)

For example U20's don't have the budget to fly Miell over to SA for training and camps, but the main national team does.

So it may well be that he is not *yet* EQP by the main definition of the word in terms of senior teams
Ahh, I see. Makes sense.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Harry Beddall (Back row) and Osian Thomas (Lock) selected for Wales for the U20 Six Nations
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Carnduff captains from 6 for England

Thomas starts, with Beddall on the bench, for Wales
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:33 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:14 pm

Must be as he only signed last January. He sounds like a player who's worked his way from the back of the scrum to the front, and historically they've been quite successful!
I may be wrong (as I can't find it now) I have a recollection that due to logistical issues they allow players at age grades (now they cannot be capture teams) to play for the country of their residence &/or education (in addition to other eligibility)

For example U20's don't have the budget to fly Miell over to SA for training and camps, but the main national team does.

So it may well be that he is not *yet* EQP by the main definition of the word in terms of senior teams
Ahh, I see. Makes sense.
His father was born in England (Southampton) apparently
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not England but Wales U20
Osain Thomas starts at 6
Beddall is on the bench
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigris wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:47 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:33 pm

Ahh, I see. Makes sense.
His father was born in England (Southampton) apparently
Ah, clears that up. Thanks.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Carnduff puts away a nice finish in the corner in a good first half for England.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Strong 11-36 win for Finn's men! Though Italy were very competitive, despite the score. Henry Pollock is the real deal.

Wales earned a 37-29 win over Scotland, in what looked like a very entertaining tussle.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The Pollock/Carnduff flank combination has a really nice balance to it. Pollock looks like a real firecracker of a player.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Great to see
Congratulations all
Has anyone looked at legacy planning for the next few years and where these boys could potentially fit in ?
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

KiwiTig wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:17 pm Great to see
Congratulations all
Has anyone looked at legacy planning for the next few years and where these boys could potentially fit in ?
Martin moving to lock full time. Carnduff becoming a 6/8. Josh Manz playing 6 or 7 as well. Ilione at 7 and Koroiyadi at 8/6. Reckon we could lose one of Martin/Chessum x2 as all will want to be regular starters.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LekkerTigers wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:49 am
KiwiTig wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:17 pm Great to see
Congratulations all
Martin moving to lock full time. Carnduff becoming a 6/8. Josh Manz playing 6 or 7 as well. Ilione at 7 and Koroiyadi at 8/6. Reckon we could lose one of Martin/Chessum x2 as all will want to be regular starters.
Think Cam Henderson is too good to be forgotten.

We have plenty of good options, but we have time to develop them before they are all there.

There's lots of water to go under the bridge between now and then, predicting who will be here in 2 or more years time is big steps away.

I think look at the players we have atm and key ones coming for next season and beyond that just let them develop at their own pace.

Currently

Senior Locks: Martin, O.Chessum, C.Henderson, Wells, Carter

Development Locks: T.Manz, L.Chessum, Carmichael, Carnduff, Thomas

Senior Back Row: Liebenberg, Reffell, Wiese, Rogerson, Hatherall, Rogerson, Cracknell

Development Back Row: Ilione, J.Manz, Koroiyadi, Beddall, Perkins, Williams

I think what we can say, with Tom Manz being (since Browning left) the only Dev squad player in his 5th season that he may be on borrowed time unless he breaks out soon.

The good thing is that plenty of our Development squad are clearly showing potential. Even the likes of Tom Manz should he leave us would likely get a decent Championship squad contract. It may end up a case of us trying to back the right guys and work out which of those will break out, but it was ever thus...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Carnduff and Pollock look to be 2 really high quality flankers and both gaining 1st team experience with their clubs.
Carnduff finish reminded a little of a bloke called Croft
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Outside of the the pack there's there's a couple of Charlies that might make the grade, Davies and Myall, both showing very well at the Lions in Nat 1.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Thomas and Beddall both start for Wales. Carnduff skipper again.