RFU to take control of 20 England players with ‘hybrid contracts’

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RFU to take control of 20 England players with ‘hybrid contracts’

Post by GB72 »

Thing is, I do not think that the pie can be grown. Everyone is full up on football, they do not want anything else. 7 days a week there is football on, there are live games most days, there are highlights at the weekend, there is social media, there is radio that bumps every other sport for football, it is being rammed down peoples' throats until they are full. My personal opinion, there is enough football to fill the channels, radio stations etc, they really do not want or need anything else.

Rugby cannot complete with that and sometimes we do not help ourselves. We have a useful situation in that Tigers and City cannot play at the same time so there is room to try and get some of the non travelling City fans into Welford Road. You could even look at a cross promotional deal where for a match or 2, City season ticket holders get a cheap Tigers ticket and vice versa. Trouble is, we are so anti or unwelcoming to football fans, so derogatory about the game they support (wendyball anyone) that there is no way I as a football fan would want to set foot in a rugby ground but these are people who enjoy live sport, spend money on live sport and are a target audience.

Rugby has to be more welcoming and inviting to grow the pie and we to be more accepting of fans of other sports if we want to attract them to rugby.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

There actually quite a few sports fans that attend both City and Tigers, many Tigers fans are checking their phone after a match to see how City got on.
One of the problems for Rugby is that it has become a bit over complicated from the game I played. When you have played at any level.it is fairly easy to understand the basics, unfortunately it is rarely played in state schools anymore so we are not growing the next generation of players and spectators in sufficient quantity. To replace the aging fan base. Todays young sports can via tv will be exposed to American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Wrestling and a host of other sports but will.probably only have.played soccer. Many young people will not even venture off their backsides as they are glued to games on line. Schools need to do more, parents need to do more and the RFU needs to do much more.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The point re the rules of the game being confusing for the non enthusiast.
I haven’t checked recently but there used to be over 100 laws relating to the lineout alone.
One of the best known facts is that the ball cannot be knocked forward yet this World Cup we have had tries scored after the ball has come off Marlers head and Kochs shoulder, try explaining that
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:09 pm The point re the rules of the game being confusing for the non enthusiast.
I haven’t checked recently but there used to be over 100 laws relating to the lineout alone.
One of the best known facts is that the ball cannot be knocked forward yet this World Cup we have had tries scored after the ball has come off Marlers head and Kochs shoulder, try explaining that
Exactly this, the rules are way too complicated. Case in point, taken back in, for the 50/22 or kick from the 22. Does it really matter if it was taken back in? Just play it from where it was kicked irrespective of what happened before. That rule is so complex it needs the ref to shout it out beforehand.
Another one, which happened in an earlier match this World Cup. Ball squirted out the back of a ruck, oppo player dived on it. Barnes (I think) blew for pen, commentators said what a poor decision. Then someone obviously checked the rules. Apparently Barnes was right, you can’t dive on the ball if it is out the back of a ruck. Play it yes, dive on it, no. Why not?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

northerntiger wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:47 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:09 pm The point re the rules of the game being confusing for the non enthusiast.
Exactly this, the rules are way too complicated. Case in point, taken back in, for the 50/22 or kick from the 22. Does it really matter if it was taken back in? Just play it from where it was kicked irrespective of what happened before. That rule is so complex it needs the ref to shout it out beforehand.
Another one, which happened in an earlier match this World Cup. Ball squirted out the back of a ruck, oppo player dived on it. Barnes (I think) blew for pen, commentators said what a poor decision. Then someone obviously checked the rules. Apparently Barnes was right, you can’t dive on the ball if it is out the back of a ruck. Play it yes, dive on it, no. Why not?
Makes it worse that it’s within a metre of the ruck
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Oh yes, forgot that bit
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Yes, odd that law. When I were nobbut a lad, see a loose ball dive on it, (if you had the guts, or were bonkers) and wait for the shoe pie. :smt005
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:02 pm "Sigh"
Wasn't life simpler before the money got involved. :smt009
Indeed, and the beer was cheaper, the merchandise was simpler, and there was no TMO because half the opposition infringements were sorted out at the next ruck or maul by the players themselves.
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So Sweeney says it’s around 25 players not 20, makes way more sense to me. Had to be at least a squad of 23.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

and Borthwick wants more control of "HIS" players.........................................This really is the beginning of the end for club rugby
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

tigerburnie wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:24 am and Borthwick wants more control of "HIS" players.........................................This really is the beginning of the end for club rugby
Yep! All very sad ,maybe there will be franchises ,maybe there will just be 4/5 clubs with all the elite players concentrated across them. I don't see how the game survives though as we know it.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

People(especially in the RFU boardrooms) seem to forget that rugby is not just about the National team and the PRL, players, absolutely all of them, begin their rugby playing at the grass roots of the game. If the game fails at local level as it is currently in Wales with lower league clubs cancelling fixtures due to lack of players, the game will collapse with no foundations. Academies, as good as they are do not replace minis and juniors at their local clubs or the colts for those who are just under the academies. For an alleged salary of £680,000 a year Sweeney should be doing a lot more than this. The National leagues have started and as of yet do not know what they are playing for, will there be the new leagues? will there be promotion/relegation? The Championship do not know what next year holds for them, they cannot plan ahead, they cannot sort out finances, as we have seen with the collapse of Jersey Reds, this is a monumental collapse of the RFU and its governance of the game. Re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic is a phrase I am seeing in many places.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Almost true, but Sweeny helped himself to a cost of living pay rise this year!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Shed loads of players left to play great rugby. If we* were to lose all our England internationals tomorrow we'd still have a great side, and the competition would still be as good as last season.

I mean, which Tigers at the world cup are likely to get 'central' contracts? Steward, Watson and Chessum, that's about it.

If we're winning, WR will be full.

*not just us, all team with Eng Ints...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ads wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:27 pm Shed loads of players left to play great rugby. If we* were to lose all our England internationals tomorrow we'd still have a great side, and the competition would still be as good as last season.

I mean, which Tigers at the world cup are likely to get 'central' contracts? Steward, Watson and Chessum, that's about it.

If we're winning, WR will be full.

*not just us, all team with Eng Ints...
Whilst I agree about the shed load of players comment , the league will still be high quality not sure on your list of central contracts.
With the contracts supposedly being awarded next Summer I would be surprised if a 30 year old injury prone Watson got one.

If I was pushed I would say 4 Tigers would be Chessum, Martin, JVP and Steward