Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: RFU to take control of 20 England players with ‘hybrid contracts’

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:55 am
trendylfj wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:19 am
ads wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:27 pm Shed loads of players left to play great rugby. If we* were to lose all our England internationals tomorrow we'd still have a great side, and the competition would still be as good as last season.

I mean, which Tigers at the world cup are likely to get 'central' contracts? Steward, Watson and Chessum, that's about it.

If we're winning, WR will be full.

*not just us, all team with Eng Ints...
Just to nitpick about what you say and I agree with a lot of it but when was the last time MWR was full???? I would dare bet that it hasn't been full more than once in the last 2 years even when we won the championship. If the clubs were to lose 25 England-qualified international players for most of the prem games and get them back for the European ones, there is a link between the money from European games, how you qualify to play in the HC and the position you finish in the Prem which seems to be ignored. I don't know how many prem games these players will be able to play but they will be missed. I think we could lose 5 or even 6 if Kelly has a good season - Steward, Watson, Chessum, JVP, Kelly and Martin. He will have to go for a larger number of the younger players if he is planning for the next World Cup then people expect. Most players who are 30+ will not be picked IMHO - Manu (32) Farrell (32) May (33) Care (36) Yonugs (34) Daly (31)are among those who may not be around for the next WC just to look at the backs are certainties not to be included. Of course, he will keep most of them after the WC to give some continuity but looking ahead they have to be omitted early rather than later in preperation for the next one.
Many flaws in your summary. Firstly there are unlikely to be many clashes between premiership and England games due to the collapse of 3 clubs. Secondly the article said that clubs will have full selection of their players and thirdly in a squad of 25 would be very surprised if Tigers had more than 4 players in the 25. Chessum and Steward for sure and possibly JVP and Heyes.
So you don’t think Watson, or Martin