Tigers v Bedford Blues (A) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 07th October 2023 KO: 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bedford Blues (A) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 07th October 2023 KO: 3-00pm

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:19 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:16 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:14 pm

Already been mentioned that the reduced crowd for such a game probably means we would make very little revenue
But if a semi or final, our gates would surely increase, I cant beleive we opted to play away for that reasom :smt017
I think they were looking at the bigger playing picture
ummm.

Anyway back to watching England. :smt013 :smt013
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bedford Blues (A) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 07th October 2023 KO: 3-00pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

LE18 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:28 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:19 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:16 pm

But if a semi or final, our gates would surely increase, I cant beleive we opted to play away for that reasom :smt017
I think they were looking at the bigger playing picture
ummm.

Anyway back to watching England. :smt013 :smt013
I take your point but nothing is certain and Jersey failing has muddied the waters a little.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Matt Smith has said the game was prioritised for development not the result.

Long term against short term and hopefully we’ll get the benefit from it as these young players push on in the next 2-3 years
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Congratulations to Bedford. No matter what we think they played very well and beat us.
The Bristol game will be the one to gauge how well prepared we are!
Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Terracetiger4 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:50 pm Matt Smith has said the game was prioritised for development not the result.

Long term against short term and hopefully we’ll get the benefit from it as these young players push on in the next 2-3 years
I appreciate that we need to see what the young lads can do. But this attitude is nonsense we’ve thrown an away a home semi and potentially a home final. To learn what? A couple of more senior players like crackers and wells and maybe one of shillock and brown and then one more experienced player in centres we would have won that game and that’s what every Leicester team should be going on the pitch to do.

It might just be me but i don’t like just chucking full team of kids out. I think there needs to be a bit of a balance.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Terracetiger4 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:32 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:50 pm Matt Smith has said the game was prioritised for development not the result.

I appreciate that we need to see what the young lads can do. But this attitude is nonsense we’ve thrown an away a home semi and potentially a home final. To learn what? A couple of more senior players like crackers and wells and maybe one of shillock and brown and then one more experienced player in centres we would have won that game and that’s what every Leicester team should be going on the pitch to do.

It might just be me but i don’t like just chucking full team of kids out. I think there needs to be a bit of a balance.
Im with you 100%
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Terracetiger4 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:32 pm

This ^
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I don't feel like we have the player depth right now to risk players on the whole if Mckeller doesn't want to focus on it, The coach made his call and I respect it. People saying it's a mistake before we see what happens rest of season is overreacting IMO.

Let's say we did this v Caldy at the start of season, literally no one here would be complaining about it. So what's the difference now? the outcome would've been the same in either case.

It's the Prem cup, if we are still involved in Europe and chasing the Prem title then it's two extra games and McKeller would most likely select a pretty young team for that also.

The Board and Coaches in the past have always focused on the Premiership not the Prem cup, Borthwick was sending 2nd/3rd teams away in Europe during that Prem winning season.

The team still went for the win, we where winning at half time with that squad, bench was just very very green.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:11 pm I don't feel like we have the player depth right now to risk players on the whole if Mckeller doesn't want to focus on it, The coach made his call and I respect it. People saying it's a mistake before we see what happens rest of season is overreacting IMO.
Nail head

For me in a non world cup year with 11 players who we don't have a return date on. Just take care.

Names people threw out to play

Wells, 2nd row is the one position we have depth, but was definitely our strongest section of our team today with Carter, Chessum & Manz.

Cracknell, I certainly wouldn't have our 2 leading 7's in the same team and Ilione will have learnt more from that game. And maybe with Hatherall, Rogerson, Liebenberg & Cracknell rested we could have played one. As it is Carnduff & Ilione went in as both IMO prem standard players. Carnduff I think also picked up a hand injury. So would we have had one of those 4 injured instead.

Front row, we have 2 players each there, no depth to go deeper
(Whitcombe/Van Wyk, Dolly/Clare, Heyes/Hurd) any of those get injured and we're struggling with essentially a weaker bench option for Bristol.

Backs
Again with JvP and Youngs unavailable, risking Whiteley or Powell is foolish.

We had one of our leading fly half options playing 10 (2nd/3rd choice atm)

Centre's, well Woodward/Cusick are both getting there and not worth risking Kelly, Porter or Cokanasiga with Scott out (we do get Kata back soon, but I'd rather not chuck a player in to the deep end having just joined the club in a league game.

Back 3
With Simmons out, then I couldn't see us risking any of our leading 4 back 3 options (Brown, Shillcock, Hassell-Collins & Bassett are all too valuable)

Right so if we're not risking those who do we risk... well then those who played are the strongest we have.

As it is Carnduff getting an injury is almost worst case of those who played and we're still in a good position
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Terracetiger4
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Terracetiger4 »

I don’t think it should be seen as a risk it’s about putting a team out that can win rugby matches. Injuries happen all through out the season. I’m not saying play all your starting 15 for next week because then you are creating a headache for your self but a couple of players who are in the wider squad. There’s still a few lads that could have played to get minutes in their legs. Injuries happen at any point in the season It’s part of rugby. I don’t think putting a side out and saying after the game we told the lads before the game the result doesn’t matter is a good luck for a club like Leicester. This is just my opinion i appreciate not everyone will agree.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I was there ..well done young boys …we managed this perfectly …lots of boxes ticked
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

KiwiTig wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:51 pm I was there ..well done young boys …we managed this perfectly …lots of boxes ticked
Could we have won it with a little bit more experience and got a home fixture?
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Yes, I think we could but I have faith that whatever is next will deal with it ..Dan is long game
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Looks like it's another game that isn't going to be uploaded to the Prem website in full.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

IMcWT
Hehehehehehehehe