Tigers v Bedford Blues (A) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 07th October 2023 KO: 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Tigers v Bedford Blues (A) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 07th October 2023 KO: 3-00pm

Post by Tigerbeat »

Looks like Tigers may secure home semi and final if they continue to win and finished Rank 1. Exeter and Tigers have one remaining game, Exeter away to Bath and a 7 points difference advantage over Tigers.
A big win needed at Bedford,.

PREMIERSHIP RUGBY CUP RULES
The Format consists of 4 pools:

- 2 x pools of 6
- 2 x pools 5

Each team in the pools of 5 will play a cross-pool match.

The pools were seeded based on league position in the 2022/23 season\*.

League points follow the normal rules, 4 for a win, 2 for a draw, 0 for a loss, and Bonus Points for 4 tries or more and/or losing by 7 or less match points;

Post the pool stage:

- On completion of the pools, each Club will be ranked within each pool on the following basis:
- The Club with the greatest League Points will be placed above a Club with lesser League Points; or
- If League Points are equal it will be the Club with the most wins; or
- If the number of wins is also equal it will be the Club with the greatest points difference; or
- If the points difference is also equal it will be the Club with the greatest points for; or
- If the points for is also equal it will be the Club who has scored the higher number of tries; or
- If the number of tries is also equal it will be the Club who has the least number of red cards; or
- If the number of red cards is equal it will be the Club who scored the greater number of points scored in the match between the two Clubs; or
- If the number of points scored in the match between the two Club is equal, the Tournament Director shall conduct a draw of the relevant Clubs, being that the first Club drawn shall be deemed the higher-ranked Club.
- Winner from each pool will progress to the semi-finals.
- The knock-out stage shall be divided into two semi-final Matches and a final Match.
- The semi-final Matches will be knock-out, each played over one Match
- The semi-final Matches shall comprise:
- Semi-final 1: 1st ranked Club v 4th ranked Club
- Semi-final 2: 2nd ranked Club v 3rd ranked Club
- The first Club listed in each of the semi-final matches shall be the Home Club.
- The winners of the two semi-final Matches will proceed to the Cup final.
- The Cup final will be played at a venue of the highest ranked finalist Club based upon the rankings determined in accordance with the principles above.

For operational reasons, Premiership sides Leicester Tigers and Exeter Chiefs are in different pools to which they are seeded.

Championship seeds 9 and 10, Nottingham and Caldy also swapped position with Championship seeds 11 and 12, London Scottish and Cambridge for operational reasons. As the higher seeds in the cross-pool fixture, London Scottish will play Cambridge as the home side.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Bedford Blues (A) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 07th October 2023 KO: 3-00pm

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting how this goes personally would like to see Shillcock at 10, but Atkinson seems to be on good form.
01. Whitcombe
02. Dolly
03. Hurd
04. Carter
05. Chessum
06. Hatherall
07. Ilione
08. Cracknell
09. Whiteley
10. Shillcock
11. Simmons
12. Woodward
13. Cokanasiga
14. Cusick
15. Brown

16. Vanes, 17. Van Wyk, 18. Richardson
19. Manz, 20. Carnduff
21. Edwards, 22. Wilkinson, 23. Gourlay

With an eye for Bristol of
1. Van Wyk, 2. Clare, 3. Heyes
4. Wells, 5. Henderson
6. Liebenberg, 7. Ilione, 8. Rogerson
9. Powell, 10. Atkinson
12. Kelly, 13. Porter,
11. OHC, 14. Bassett, 15. Shillcock

16. Dolly, 17. Whitcombe, 18. Hurd
19. Williams, 20. Hatherall
21. Whiteley, 22. Cokanasiga, 23. Brown
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Bedford Blues (A) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 07th October 2023 KO: 3-00pm

Post by GB72 »

I can see us going at this one pretty hard. That home Semi final and final are a good source of income at a time later in the season when there is next to no rugby.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:54 pm I can see us going at this one pretty hard. That home Semi final and final are a good source of income at a time later in the season when there is next to no rugby.
Precisely.

Think we need to assume Ealing will be awarded 5 points for their game vs Jersey (likely 20 or 28 point difference)

This means we will likely have to get the TBP to get a home Semifinal.

I don't think Cov will roll over vs Gloucester, they for me are in with a good shout for the Championship title this year (having recruited well out of Worcester & Wasps players not wanting to relocate) and they are still in a shout of getting through (though need a TBP win to do it) I do think they may push Gloucester more than anticipated.

Bath are also going to be Exeter's biggest test after Bristol put the kids out vs them, but they will go strong wanting that TBP that ensures a home final if they get there, think they may have too much for Bath without their international stars
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Gloucester currently 19pts - points difference - 71
Tigers currently 19pts - points difference - 151
Exeter currently 20pts - points difference - 158
Ealing currently 19pt = points difference - 79

Top of group teams will not change - just the rankings to sort out.
Exeter away at Bath (Exeter BP Win - finish top, Win with No BP - 1st or 2nd)
Tigers away at Bedford (Need a BP win to have any chance of Top ranked side) - placing dependent on Exeter
Gloucester home to Coventry (expect a home BP win)
Ealing away at Jersey (Dependent on the panel awarding points - 4 or 5 points)
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Could certainly do with Barf doing us a favour. It is a little annoying that 70 odd of Exeters point difference came against Bristol youth, take that away and they aren’t averaging 30 points against championship sides whereas we are averaging the best part of 50 including games against 2 premiership sides. I would certainly expect us to make up the points difference it’s whether or not Exeter can get a tbp point win.
Like others I would expect us to go fairly strong with some rotation so as many as possible are match ready for Bristol given there is a 6 day turnaround. Re Atkinson he is our starting 10 and Brown appears to be the favoured 15, and Atkinson does need some goal kicking practice so personally I’d start him at 10 then replace at half time if a few tries have been scored.

Whitcombe
Dolly
Hurd
Wells
Williams
Cracknell
Ilione
Hatherall
Whiteley
Atkinson
Simmons
Porter
Cocanasinga
Bassett
Shilcock

Claire, Van Wyk , Heyes, Henderson, Rogerson, Powell, Wilkinson, Brown
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:20 pm
GB72 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:54 pm I can see us going at this one pretty hard. That home Semi final and final are a good source of income at a time later in the season when there is next to no rugby.
I don't think Cov will roll over vs Gloucester, they for me are in with a good shout for the Championship title this year (having recruited well out of Worcester & Wasps players not wanting to relocate) and they are still in a shout of getting through (though need a TBP win to do it) I do think they may push Gloucester more than anticipated.
It's unfortunate for them that Pellegrini has been poached to the RWC and Tonga have a fixture left.

I think from Tiger's point of view we should probably rotate the front row, maybe play Shillcock at 15 and maybe play a 6:2 bench (allowing maybe a few more run outs for our crop of young back 5 talent). You then have the option of taking the kicking pressure off Atkinson a little, whether he kicks or not.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:28 pm Gloucester currently 19pts - points difference - 71
Tigers currently 19pts - points difference - 151
Exeter currently 20pts - points difference - 158
Ealing currently 19pt = points difference - 79

Top of group teams will not change - just the rankings to sort out.
Exeter away at Bath (Exeter BP Win - finish top, Win with No BP - 1st or 2nd)
Tigers away at Bedford (Need a BP win to have any chance of Top ranked side) - placing dependent on Exeter
Gloucester home to Coventry (expect a home BP win)
Ealing away at Jersey (Dependent on the panel awarding points - 4 or 5 points)
Technically only 2 of the spots are confirmed in the semifinals

Ealing and Exeter are both confirmed

We'd have to have a terrible defeat and for Falcons to have a dizzying victory, which is nigh on impossible.

I certainly don't think Gloucester are through though, yes they are strong favourites, but a Cov side with it in their own hands will give it a big go...

I expect a Gloucester win without a TBP tbh
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Personally think they will give Wells and Cracknell another game. Both played 50/55 minutes on Saturday so could see them giving them 60-70 minutes so they can be in the mix for Bristol. Otherwise i guess a similar team to the ones picked v Caldy and Ampthill.

Whitcombe, Dolly, Hurd, Wells, Chessum, Carnduff, Illione, Cracknell, Whitely, Willkinson, Simmons, Woodward, Cokansiga, Cuisick, Shillcock. Bench of Vanes, Van Wyk, Richardson, Carter, Hatherall, Edwards, Atkinson Gourlay
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Bedford are also a decent outfit, finishing 4th I believe last year. A decent step up in class from Caldy and Ampthill. Whilst i still back us to win, this should prove a decent test for our young lads and fringe players picked. We will need to be on our mettle to get the win and BP required.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:01 pm Bedford are also a decent outfit, finishing 4th I believe last year. A decent step up in class from Caldy and Ampthill. Whilst i still back us to win, this should prove a decent test for our young lads and fringe players picked. We will need to be on our mettle to get the win and BP required.
Maybe they fielded an under strength side but they only won away at Ampthill by 5 points, no doubt a keenly contested local derby
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:13 pm Looks like Tigers may secure home semi and final if they continue to win and finished Rank 1. Exeter and Tigers have one remaining game, Exeter away to Bath and a 7 points difference advantage over Tigers.
A big win needed at Bedford,.

PREMIERSHIP RUGBY CUP RULES
The Format consists of 4 pools:

- 2 x pools of 6
- 2 x pools 5

Each team in the pools of 5 will play a cross-pool match.

The pools were seeded based on league position in the 2022/23 season\*.

League points follow the normal rules, 4 for a win, 2 for a draw, 0 for a loss, and Bonus Points for 4 tries or more and/or losing by 7 or less match points;

Post the pool stage:

- On completion of the pools, each Club will be ranked within each pool on the following basis:
- The Club with the greatest League Points will be placed above a Club with lesser League Points; or
- If League Points are equal it will be the Club with the most wins; or
- If the number of wins is also equal it will be the Club with the greatest points difference; or
- If the points difference is also equal it will be the Club with the greatest points for; or
- If the points for is also equal it will be the Club who has scored the higher number of tries; or
- If the number of tries is also equal it will be the Club who has the least number of red cards; or
- If the number of red cards is equal it will be the Club who scored the greater number of points scored in the match between the two Clubs; or
- If the number of points scored in the match between the two Club is equal, the Tournament Director shall conduct a draw of the relevant Clubs, being that the first Club drawn shall be deemed the higher-ranked Club.
- Winner from each pool will progress to the semi-finals.
- The knock-out stage shall be divided into two semi-final Matches and a final Match.
- The semi-final Matches will be knock-out, each played over one Match
- The semi-final Matches shall comprise:
- Semi-final 1: 1st ranked Club v 4th ranked Club
- Semi-final 2: 2nd ranked Club v 3rd ranked Club
- The first Club listed in each of the semi-final matches shall be the Home Club.
- The winners of the two semi-final Matches will proceed to the Cup final.
- The Cup final will be played at a venue of the highest ranked finalist Club based upon the rankings determined in accordance with the principles above.

For operational reasons, Premiership sides Leicester Tigers and Exeter Chiefs are in different pools to which they are seeded.

Championship seeds 9 and 10, Nottingham and Caldy also swapped position with Championship seeds 11 and 12, London Scottish and Cambridge for operational reasons. As the higher seeds in the cross-pool fixture, London Scottish will play Cambridge as the home side.
I dont have a degree in statistics. :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Sarries have announced a friendly against Leinster in February
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

A few people have popped Simmons in their projected teams - isn't he crocked?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:57 pm A few people have popped Simmons in their projected teams - isn't he crocked?
It looked a bad one yes