Tigers vs Newcastle (H) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 30th September 2023 KO 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Newcastle (H) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 30th September 2023 KO 3pm

Post by markharbtiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:01 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:51 am
ay2oh wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:14 pm It wasn’t really our second team though was it. Probably 12 of that squad would be in our first choice match 23.
What, if anything, do these matches predict? A serious, non-sarky question. I must confess, reading the results and the comments on here has filled me with a certain optimism, but will it translate to the Prem?
It’s an excellent question. Personally I think that when playing another premiership side there is always a plus to beating another side. Away win a Sale, admittedly 2 mixed sides, is a rare thing and good for the memory banks.
Yesterday 2 sides near full strength without their RWC, was for me a real statement of intent.
Having watched the highlights the pack were immense, as cohesive a unit as I’ve seen in a while, whilst the running game is definitely improving.
Yes there will be bigger tests than Newcastle but the signs are good
TBH they probably don't predict very much. But that said, it's an excellent opportunity for (1) the new coaching team to assess what they've got in games that don't matter so much and (2) players to put their hands up. Winning also helps confidence. As we all recall from not so many seasons ago, a lack of confidence tends to put the team of the wrong side of close results. Yes the competition has been mixed so far, but this will all change once the premiership starts.
AViewFromLe2

Re: Tigers vs Newcastle (H) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 30th September 2023 KO 3pm

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

mol2 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:27 pm It will be interesting to see how our plays change with the return of our internationals.

Is Youngs' dithering a reflection of the attacking structure over the past few years? Given runners offering themselves and getting in position quickly change that.

A lot of our play has been very structured over the past few years and England the same. The ability of the scrum half to snipe is often the result of defenders being drawn away from the ruck by the runners.
I think what we're seeing is the McKellar way, so when the internationals return, if they want to play they will have to meet the standards that he sets in terms of speed and attacking structure. Certainly i am pretty confident that no-one at the WC will struggle with what he is asking them to do when they return so I don't see it being an issue.

The bigger issue is how to get them all into a 23. Not seen competition like this in a squad since the Pat Howard years IMO.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:35 pm
I think what we're seeing is the McKellar way, so when the internationals return, if they want to play they will have to meet the standards that he sets in terms of speed and attacking structure. Certainly i am pretty confident that no-one at the WC will struggle with what he is asking them to do when they return so I don't see it being an issue.

The bigger issue is how to get them all into a 23. Not seen competition like this in a squad since the Pat Howard years IMO.
Agreed. If this is the McKellar way, I like what I am seeing. There seem to be additional options to run the ball rather than kicking possession away. That will keep the opposition guessing and enables us to react to the defence. But things might be different with tougher opposition.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:06 am Newcastle are a different side with their Argentinians, don't think they'll be top 4, but they seem to have recruited well.
I don’t think that 4 returning players will make Falcons that much better. Bearing in mind we had 7 of our first choice pack missing their pack looked massively underpowered . Can’t see them finishing anywhere but 9th or 10th.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just returning to Powell and the commenter Youngs supposed dithering, this was more often down there being no options and certainly no runners when it came to delivering the ball.
From what I’ve seen the coaching of Mckellar and Dickens has moved on from this.
Both Youngs and JVP will be much happier playing a game where they can provide a quick service and snipe more
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Hopefully Youngs free of having to "worry" about International rugby might play with freedom & play what's in front of him not what is prescribed by a coach.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Youngs seems to dilly dally at the BD,runners or not. First thought at times seems to be trying to buy a penalty. Could be the coaching and tactics as others have said though
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Agreed. Powell had a great time but for most of the game our forwards provided quick ball: it has also been noticeable in the Premiership Cup how the forwards are now arriving to the breakdown much quick( more like Sarries) and Youngs and JVP had to adapt their games( not for the best) to suit Borthwick’s kick and chase game. We will see how good Powell is v Bristol and Sale. Having said that Powell was a standard player for Irish last April when we narrowly beat Irish in Brentford.
Yesterday OHC excited all of us down there because a) he is incredibly strong and b) he isn’t a player who will see kicking the ball away as the first option.
Like another poster (who was also at the game) said we were on fire in the first half when we decided to hold onto the ball then for the first 20 of the second half we kicked the ball away, didn’t look so good,so reverted to holding onto the ball more.
To balance it all, as has been said, teams in the Premiership won’t defend as poorly as Newcastle( but they will improve a lot once their internationals return.
Let’s hope Pollard gets the chance to play with yesterday’s backs and he will also help develop Atkinson who took the ball to the line brilliantly yesterday.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

People shouldn't be seduced into thinking that running everything is going to be the right way forward. All the best sides around marry their attack with a strong kicking game, including kicking on the front foot. We also need multiple ways to win, especially if conditions are unfavourable.

I suspect that, having already secured the win, they were told at halftime to try some kicks in behind. Looked a clear change in tactic.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:59 pm People shouldn't be seduced into thinking that running everything is going to be the right way forward. All the best sides around marry their attack with a strong kicking game, including kicking on the front foot. We also need multiple ways to win, especially if conditions are unfavourable.

I suspect that, having already secured the win, they were told at halftime to try some kicks in behind. Looked a clear change in tactic.
Quite right and I’m sure tactics will change depending on the opposition. I think that there is now a plan B if trying to smash down the door doesn’t work is a big step forward
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:04 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:59 pm People shouldn't be seduced into thinking that running everything is going to be the right way forward. All the best sides around marry their attack with a strong kicking game, including kicking on the front foot. We also need multiple ways to win, especially if conditions are unfavourable.

Quite right and I’m sure tactics will change depending on the opposition. I think that there is now a plan B if trying to smash down the door doesn’t work is a big step forward
Yes - dare I suggest we were becoming a bit predictable under SB. Having multiple plans keeps the opposition guessing. I also think there was a deliberate change in the second half yesterday.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Newcastle looked like they were struggling massively to contain us physically.

I wonder a bit if they are still doing any "beasting" as a preseason, yes it seems late on to be doing it, but just wondered if that could be the case at all?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:44 pm Newcastle looked like they were struggling massively to contain us physically.

I wonder a bit if they are still doing any "beasting" as a preseason, yes it seems late on to be doing it, but just wondered if that could be the case at all?
You would have thought with the premiership 2 weeks away all sides would be at a similar stage in their build up.
Also don’t think that there were many changes in the Newcastle side from that which beat Sale the week before
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Tigers match

Post by YoWaGoWan »

Anyone know why the Tigers/Newcastle full match is not on the premiership site?
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Tigers match

Post by YoWaGoWan »

Anyone know why the Tigers/Newcastle full match is not on the premiership site?