Tigers vs Newcastle (H) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 30th September 2023 KO 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TiltonTiger

Re: Tigers vs Newcastle (H) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 30th September 2023 KO 3pm

Post by TiltonTiger »

At the risk of jumping the gun, where’s the final? Am I right to think it’s not Twickenham?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Newcastle (H) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 30th September 2023 KO 3pm

Post by Rugbygramps »

TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:34 pm At the risk of jumping the gun, where’s the final? Am I right to think it’s not Twickenham?
Could be wrong but I think it may be played at the home of the highest remaining side
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:54 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:34 pm At the risk of jumping the gun, where’s the final? Am I right to think it’s not Twickenham?
Could be wrong but I think it may be played at the home of the highest remaining side
Correct

Who knows what will happen with Ealing's last game meant to be Jersey next weekend.

However we are in a prime position to do well

5 points and with our points difference almost assured a home semifinal.

Ideally Bath can deny Exeter something in the last group game to mean we can be top seeds, but if not then a home semifinal will be very useful to club finances
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I would imagine Ealing will be awarded the tie 28-0 giving them 5 match points
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If today was anything to go by, this is going to be a tough season for Newcastle.

This makes it hard to judge how good we are, but our second string looked comfortable.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Lutontiger wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:12 pm We’re like greased bears! 😝
Greased Tigers surely? :smt044
Last edited by markharbtiger on Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I was very impressed with Joe Powell today: I think Youngs and JVP will have a fight on their hands to start at 9.
Forwards were excellent and what I saw of OHC and Shillcock looked good for the future. OHC looked like he tweaked his hamstring from where I was sitting - he came off immediately which looked more precautionary.
Porter, Kelly and Brown put in good shifts. I would have liked to see more of Bassett with the ball.
As to the Falcons: they had clearly planned for us to box kick all game and their game plan was ruined by us passing the ball… :smt002 :smt003
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:21 pm I would imagine Ealing will be awarded the tie 28-0 giving them 5 match points
That would be right, proper and fair.

So, as this is English rugby I'd imagine it will be anything but that.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

mol2 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:23 pm If today was anything to go by, this is going to be a tough season for Newcastle.

This makes it hard to judge how good we are, but our second string looked comfortable.
It wasn’t really our second team though was it. Probably 12 of that squad would be in our first choice match 23.
A2O
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

So Steward, Montoya, Wiese, Chessum, Youngs, Cole, Pollard, Reffel & Martin on international duty wouldn’t be in the starting 15?

Cronin and Watson missing on injury grounds. JVP & Youngs playing in the same position can’t both start.

So if all fit 12 of that squad wouldn’t be in the 23 and, arguably 11 starters would be different.

Perhaps not an entirely second team but probably only 4 of today’s team would start.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:39 pm So Steward, Montoya, Wiese, Chessum, Youngs, Cole, Pollard, Reffel & Martin on international duty wouldn’t be in the starting 15?

Cronin and Watson missing on injury grounds. JVP & Youngs playing in the same position can’t both start.

So if all fit 12 of that squad wouldn’t be in the 23 and, arguably 11 starters would be different.

Perhaps not an entirely second team but probably only 4 of today’s team would start.
I think Powell could be our first choice SH, he is very quick to the breakdown, very quick around the fringes, and has a good pass, good signing. Also not sure Watson will be first choice, todays wingers excellent.
We should do very well this season, but todate opposition has been poor so its difficult to accurately judge, however we could be title contenders. Newcastle very poor, they are in trouble if todays team was their strongest. Great ffirst half, running passing rugby what I enjoy but there seemed to be a switch in tactics at half time and we kicked far more, including grubbers which didnt come off.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

We all felt sorry for Atkinson with regards to his kicking from the T but with a good coach that could be fixed. Some of his attacking play was superb but on the other hand not many Premiership teams will defend as badly as Newcastle.
It was a very entertaining match to watch with plenty to improve on:
a couple of times the line out malfunctioned, kicking off was a problem, the slow start to the second half again and as mentioned kicking from the T. All fixable.
I’m a huge fan of Shilcock but Brown was immense today: great running lines, encouraging Atkinson after every kick and a great turnover. His experience will be needed.
I do think Atkinson can go on to be an England player so maybe Johnny Wilkinson could come to coach him with the kicking( his line kicking today was superb which meant the forwards didn’t have far to get over the try line.
I hope we do get a great result v Bedford then it’s Bristol away: they haven’t shown their true colours yet so we will have to be sure we go to put the game beyond them as soon as possible.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Brown was yawping at OHC to drop back at one point when Newcastle had turned the ball down near their own line. Getting him in the right positions.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A fit Watson was justifiably a Lion. He would have been at the World Cup but for injury.

Hassell Collins has potential to become an England regular but there is competition. Bassett is a good club player but not anywhere the other two. To be fair to him today, he might as well have been in the pub. Waving and screaming for the ball in acres of space only for the forwards to keep the ball.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:23 pm A fit Watson was justifiably a Lion. He would have been at the World Cup but for injury.

Hassell Collins has potential to become an England regular but there is competition. Bassett is a good club player but not anywhere the other two. To be fair to him today, he might as well have been in the pub. Waving and screaming for the ball in acres of space only for the forwards to keep the ball.
It was the same for both 14s. How Falcons can have a weapon like Radwan and not get him into the game is beyond me.