Tigers vs Newcastle (H) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 30th September 2023 KO 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers match

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Huge conspiracy theory or we don't want the rest of the Prem to know how good we were.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

YoWaGoWan wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:35 pm Anyone know why the Tigers/Newcastle full match is not on the premiership site?
No there are quite a few not to have been put up from yesterday, but they have managed to get today's match on there already...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

Generally highlights within 24 hours and full match after 48 I believe.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

PJM wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:48 pm Generally highlights within 24 hours and full match after 48 I believe.
They have sped them up, normally full match uploaded the following morning.

I suspect that the fact there are more matches with all championship teams involved that there is a bigger backlog in editing, however it seems strange they have rushed Sarries Quins from today before yesterday's games
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AViewFromLe2

Re: Tigers vs Newcastle (H) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 30th September 2023 KO 3pm

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

For all the talk of the new emphasis on attack a new way of playing, it's worth remembering 9 out of our 10 tries yesterday were scored by a forward, including several rolling maul tries. On top of that the forwards monstered the opposition scrum and pretty much delivered front foot ball for the vast majority of the game for the backs. So overall it was a very good display of all the things we've been good at since Steve came in.

Our fundamentals in terms of forward play, kick chase and physicality in defence were also pretty good - as was our discipline in the first half. With that in mind it was a damn good team performance as the forwards dominated and the backs played with a speed and verve that put Falcons under constant pressure.

What was interesting was that with front foot ball, the backs were able to really able to play, led by Powell and Atkinson at 9 & 10. Given how strong our forward work has been over the last 3 years, it feels like we're in a pretty good place.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Newcastle (H) - Prem Rugby Cup - Saturday 30th September 2023 KO 3pm

One thing that was quite apparent yesterday was that in defence we were hitting rucks hard and also counter rucking regularly. Something we've not seen a Tigers side do to that extent in a while
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Yes we did seem to be competing furiously at ruck time and stringing together many more phases than I’ve seen for a long time. Newcastle couldn’t cope with our physicality .
A2O
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:02 pm For all the talk of the new emphasis on attack a new way of playing, it's worth remembering 9 out of our 10 tries yesterday were scored by a forward, including several rolling maul tries. On top of that the forwards monstered the opposition scrum and pretty much delivered front foot ball for the vast majority of the game for the backs. So overall it was a very good display of all the things we've been good at since Steve came in.

Our fundamentals in terms of forward play, kick chase and physicality in defence were also pretty good - as was our discipline in the first half. With that in mind it was a damn good team performance as the forwards dominated and the backs played with a speed and verve that put Falcons under constant pressure.

What was interesting was that with front foot ball, the backs were able to really able to play, led by Powell and Atkinson at 9 & 10. Given how strong our forward work has been over the last 3 years, it feels like we're in a pretty good place.
You must have been watching a different game to me. I remember at least 4 tries from backs. 2 from Joe Powell, 1 from Guy Porter and 1 from Tom Whitely. There may have been more I can't be bothered to go and check.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:32 am
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:02 pm For all the talk of the new emphasis on attack a new way of playing, it's worth remembering 9 out of our 10 tries yesterday were scored by a forward, including several rolling maul tries. On top of that the forwards monstered the opposition scrum and pretty much delivered front foot ball for the vast majority of the game for the backs. So overall it was a very good display of all the things we've been good at since Steve came in.

You must have been watching a different game to me. I remember at least 4 tries from backs. 2 from Joe Powell, 1 from Guy Porter and 1 from Tom Whitely. There may have been more I can't be bothered to go and check.
Correct
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

You are correct but 1 of Powell and Whitely tries were directly caused by the the Falcons scrum being destroyed.
Mckellar was quoted after the game as saying the foundation of our game will always be set piece and defence. The pretty stuff comes later, I added the last bit
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I've just watched the highlights and there seemed to be a mix of players scoring, though with so many tries the highlights didn't show much of the game, just folk scoring and smiling.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Fleckneyrussell

Post by Fleckneyrussell »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:04 am

You are correct but 1 of Powell and Whitely tries were directly caused by the the Falcons scrum being destroyed.
Mckellar was quoted after the game as saying the foundation of our game will always be set piece and defence. The pretty stuff comes later, I added the last bit
Not quite the same as 9 of the 10 tries scored by the forwards though
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Fleckneyrussell wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:24 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:04 am

Not quite the same as 9 of the 10 tries scored by the forwards though
Welcome to the forum and no it isn’t but I can see the point being made re forward dominance
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The nature of Rugby is that the backs do little until the forwards have won the ball from the opposition, it is lovely to see the backs running with he ball but it usually has been provided by the pack. If you do not enjoy a forward battle or exerting dominance over the opposing eight.you are watching the wrong sport. The half backs regularly get.man of the match, occasionally a winger might but but we're it not for the eight men of the pack there would have been nothing to celebrate.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:48 pm The nature of Rugby is that the backs do little until the forwards have won the ball from the opposition, it is lovely to see the backs running with he ball but it usually has been provided by the pack. If you do not enjoy a forward battle or exerting dominance over the opposing eight.you are watching the wrong sport. The half backs regularly get.man of the match, occasionally a winger might but but we're it not for the eight men of the pack there would have been nothing to celebrate.
Indeed, the old adage is often true that the forwards decide who wins and the backs decide by how many (though you could argue that the forwards make both decisions in many matches).