How to Bring On the Tier 2 Nations

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

How to Bring On the Tier 2 Nations

Post by GB72 »

As the World Cup thread was in danger of getting hijacked, I thought I would start a new thread.

Much of the media, social and otherwise, is getting behind the idea of giving the Tier 2 Nations more exposure to higher level rugby, ostensibly with more matches against Tier 1 Nations. The question remains that, whilst this is a noble and admirable idea, how do you actually do it:

Adding another club to the rugby championship and the 6 nations is going to mean another week or 2 that the clubs lose their big names at a time when they are already struggling.
The Turkeys will not vote for Xmas so promotion and relegation in those tournaments will not happen.
You will not get them being given a regular autumn international slot. Games against Tier 2 nations would not sell out Twickenham at full price, even the Italy match in the 6 Nations struggles. Adding an extra game has the same issue with clubs losing players.
An increased international calendar possibly opens the door for the unwelcome introduction of central contracts.

So, how do you do it. There are plenty of people, including past and present players, touting for Tier 2 nations playing more games against the Tier 1 sides but none of them have actually come forward with a way of making it work
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How to Bring On the Tier 2 Nations

Post by sk 88 »

1) Give them fair & direct representation at World Rugby on the council. There is no fair & justifiable reason for Tier 1 nations to receive 3 votes each & others like Georgia receive 1 vote while Chile receives 0 votes.

That means they can sort out the best route themselves rather than being reliant on charity.

2) Either: Expand 6N to 8 teams, copy Rugby Europe Championship & Autumn Nations Cup (from Covid year) format of two pools then final. OR replace 6N once every four years with an expanded European Competition featuring 12 sides. Other three years play as is.

3) Rugby Championship to be played at same time as 6N & expanded in same way as 6N, either to 8 or biannual replacement with expanded comp.

That would be my, relatively, simple suggestions.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Obviously a discussion point only, but I feel during the World Cup is a good time to look at the impact of central contracts.
Clubs are without their England players but they seem to have been able to field high quality sides while being able to develop young players. I know to date that this has only been in the PRC, but will continue into the first weeks of the premiership.
If they were ever to go down the route then there may be less players than the current 33 missing, possibly only a match day squad of 23.
This also ties into the thread of the number of players going on loan to get game time
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

SK88 has suggested that rugby championship is played at the same time as the 6 nations. 2 potential issues, firstly which one moves, secondly each is played in their respective hemisphere’s winter/spring time, so whoever moved would be playing in summer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

sk 88 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:44 pm 1) Give them fair & direct representation at World Rugby on the council. There is no fair & justifiable reason for Tier 1 nations to receive 3 votes each & others like Georgia receive 1 vote while Chile receives 0 votes.

That would be my, relatively, simple suggestions.
Isn't that how FIFA ended up corrupt with dodgy individuals taking over?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

How about letting 6N/4N enter b teams into competitions for Tier 2 teams.
Slight drop of level so less mismatches
No increase in International games for top players so still able to play for clubs sometimes.

I've heard that cancelling the Churchill Cup has hindered US & Canada
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Chile spoke about how valuable their match against a touring Scotland XV was for their development. How they'd never faced a team that played as quick as them.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Also, the world cup is a great shop window for T2 players to find full time contracts in better competitions. Especially guys from the likes of Chile, Uruguay and Portugal.

I think it was Martin Sigren who was talking about how Chile had built a foundation at home, and now the next step is for some players to go abroad and ply their trade in other more established environments.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Farmboy wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:56 pm How about letting 6N/4N enter b teams into competitions for Tier 2 teams.
Slight drop of level so less mismatches
No increase in International games for top players so still able to play for clubs sometimes.

I've heard that cancelling the Churchill Cup has hindered US & Canada
Very good point that the demise of sides such as England Saxons has meant less games for tier 2 nations. A Saxons tour to say Uruguay and Chile would have been great to help them build for the tournament and plenty of English players who didn’t make the squad
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

It is a balancing act, developing nations/players whilst managing player welfare and the requirements of the club game. As it is we see far too many games without our international players, more games would mean a poorer league, which in turn means poor development of future players. No idea what the answer is, but I think some players are playing too many games and our teams suffer the consequences of that.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:32 pm It is a balancing act, developing nations/players whilst managing player welfare and the requirements of the club game. As it is we see far too many games without our international players, more games would mean a poorer league, which in turn means poor development of future players. No idea what the answer is, but I think some players are playing too many games and our teams suffer the consequences of that.
Could be looked at as more of a development opportunity rather than an issue. I honestly don’t know as you say a fine balancing act
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:32 pm It is a balancing act, developing nations/players whilst managing player welfare and the requirements of the club game. As it is we see far too many games without our international players, more games would mean a poorer league, which in turn means poor development of future players. No idea what the answer is, but I think some players are playing too many games and our teams suffer the consequences of that.
A good point and one that brings about more concerns if the Saxons team is re-introduced. You would then have twice as many players off on summer tours and needing rest on their return. With players contributed to England, Saxons and the other nations playing at that time, Tigers could reasonably have the entire first team squad out on international duty.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Slightly off set by there being 6 less league games per season than there were 2 seasons ago
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Another issue could be that we as fans are very insular. The title of the thread is developing tier 2 nations, rightly it’s said worldwide rugby authorities need to do more, and yet the first question asked is what impact will it have on my club and it’s players.
Can we have both or does it have to be one or the other ?
Who knows
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

It’s not a case of being “insular”;as you put it. Most people on here are staunch Tigers fans so anything that makes the experience at Welford road less enjoyable/value for money would not go down well with me + many others. The people running the unions are highly paid individuals so should be able to find a solution acceptable to all parties.
A2O