Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Tigers vs Sale (A) - Prem Rugby Cup - Friday 15th September 2023 KO 7-45pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Ok so TBP win vs Caldy tied up.

Do we use this match to play out likely Prem team vs Bristol, or yet more rotation of giving people gametime, or a mix of those two?

I think we may see Powell and Pollard get some time together
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Sale (A) - Prem Rugby Cup - Friday 15th September 2023 KO 7-45pm

Post by ads »

Mix and rotate for me. These cup games don't really matter to us and just give a game a bit more competative than a pre season friendly. I'd probably wait unitl Newcastle to play a bit more of a 'first team'.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Agree with Ads, mix with those who have yet to get some gametime and target some 'away experience' for some of the youngsters. Then use Ampthill to test a few combinations. Then strong vs Newcastle and gives the chance to gain momentum vs Bedford or to give the younger players a chance and not risk injuries depending on how the group looks and players look vs Newcastle.

Something like this for Sale for me:

Brown
Bassett
Scott
Woodward
Gourlay
Atkinson
Powell
Rogerson
J Manz
Cracknell
Henderson
Carmichael
Richardson
Vanes
Cronin

Clare
Whitcombe
Heyes
Wells
Liebenberg
Edwards
Pollard
Cusick
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Do you think that we will see Pollard in these matches.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:33 pm Do you think that we will see Pollard in these matches.
Yes, I personally think he'll start this one. From his personal standpoint he'll be desperate to prove match fitness to the Springboks should there be a chance of joining the squad late.

I think for us we'll want him to play and prove some fitness. If SA come in for him it is what it is, we as a club have always supported international recognition.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:53 pm
GB72 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:33 pm Do you think that we will see Pollard in these matches.
Yes, I personally think he'll start this one. From his personal standpoint he'll be desperate to prove match fitness to the Springboks should there be a chance of joining the squad late.

I think for us we'll want him to play and prove some fitness. If SA come in for him it is what it is, we as a club have always supported international recognition.
Apologies, did not mean it like that. More wondered if we were just keeping him fit and fresh in case of a call up rather than risk him in what are pre season games. Makes some sense to get some game time under his belt
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

GB72 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:59 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:53 pm

Apologies, did not mean it like that. More wondered if we were just keeping him fit and fresh in case of a call up rather than risk him in what are pre season games. Makes some sense to get some game time under his belt
I think regardless of whether he gets a call up to the 'Boss we want / need him to have some gametime before Bristol. If he stays with us then we want him firing ahead of the Bears' trip. Think he will get a couple of games off the bench maybe and then start either vs Newcastle of Bedford depending on which game we go full tilt.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:26 pm Agree with Ads, mix with those who have yet to get some gametime and target some 'away experience' for some of the youngsters. Then use Ampthill to test a few combinations. Then strong vs Newcastle and gives the chance to gain momentum vs Bedford or to give the younger players a chance and not risk injuries depending on how the group looks and players look vs Newcastle.

Brown
Bassett
Scott
Woodward
Gourlay
Atkinson
Powell
Rogerson
J Manz
Cracknell
Henderson
Carmichael
Richardson
Vanes
Cronin

Clare
Whitcombe
Heyes
Wells
Liebenberg
Edwards
Pollard
Cusick
I'm probably not too far off yours - Brown, Bassett, Scott, Woodward, Browning, Atkinson, Edwards, Cracknell, Manz, Rogerson, Henderson, Wells, Heyes, Vanes, Whitcombe

Bench of Theobald-Thomas, Cronin, Hurd, Carmichael, Liebenberg, Whitely, Pollard, Gourlay

Might be too early for Pollard, but he's certainly going to be playing soon. 20 minutes off the bench on Friday could be a good starter for him
Ltandy111

Post by Ltandy111 »

Matt Scott is definitely injured. Saw him yesterday and was limping with heavy calf strapping. 👎🏽
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:08 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:26 pm Agree with Ads, mix with those who have yet to get some gametime and target some 'away experience' for some of the youngsters. Then use Ampthill to test a few combinations. Then strong vs Newcastle and gives the chance to gain momentum vs Bedford or to give the younger players a chance and not risk injuries depending on how the group looks and players look vs Newcastle.

Brown
Bassett
Scott
Woodward
Gourlay
Atkinson
Powell
Rogerson
J Manz
Cracknell
Henderson
Carmichael
Richardson
Vanes
Cronin

Clare
Whitcombe
Heyes
Wells
Liebenberg
Edwards
Pollard
Cusick
I'm probably not too far off yours - Brown, Bassett, Scott, Woodward, Browning, Atkinson, Edwards, Cracknell, Manz, Rogerson, Henderson, Wells, Heyes, Vanes, Whitcombe

Bench of Theobald-Thomas, Cronin, Hurd, Carmichael, Liebenberg, Whitely, Pollard, Gourlay

Might be too early for Pollard, but he's certainly going to be playing soon. 20 minutes off the bench on Friday could be a good starter for him
Wouldn't complain with any of that! Agree on Pollard, I think we'll see him in the next 2 weeks.

Shame about Scott's injury if that is the case. Doubt we would see Kelly and Woodward play together as they are too similar, and doubt Cokanasiga will have another game with him having played a lot recently. Maybe Porter and Woodward? Kelly and Cusick with Woodward on the bench? Time will tell!
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:25 pm

Brown
Bassett
Scott
Woodward
Gourlay
Atkinson
Powell
Rogerson
J Manz
Cracknell
Henderson
Carmichael
Richardson
Vanes
Cronin

Clare
Whitcombe
Heyes
Wells
Liebenberg
Edwards
Pollard
Cusick

Wouldn't complain with any of that! Agree on Pollard, I think we'll see him in the next 2 weeks.

Shame about Scott's injury if that is the case. Doubt we would see Kelly and Woodward play together as they are too similar, and doubt Cokanasiga will have another game with him having played a lot recently. Maybe Porter and Woodward? Kelly and Cusick with Woodward on the bench? Time will tell!
Real shame about Scotty being injured. In that case Porter at 13 to partner Woodward would be my vote! As an aside Phil C has looked good the last 2 weeks, albeit against Championship opposition. Wouldn't mind him partnering Kelly v Newcastle to see how he gets on. I know he came to us as a 12, but i think i prefer him at 13.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:40 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:25 pm

Real shame about Scotty being injured. In that case Porter at 13 to partner Woodward would be my vote! As an aside Phil C has looked good the last 2 weeks, albeit against Championship opposition. Wouldn't mind him partnering Kelly v Newcastle to see how he gets on. I know he came to us as a 12, but i think i prefer him at 13.
Phil C seems to have bulked a little which adds the power to his skill set. He already had a wicked pass on him and nimble footwork. His kicking has had a notch added (including a 50:22 vs Nottingham) and his defence seemed good against Caldy - though as you say it's against Championship opposition. Porter looked eager but made a few handling errors against Caldy - wouldn't mind having DK and PC at centres vs Bristol and GP in the 23 shirt assuming he comes through against Newcastle as you say.

Exciting as the lads are starting to look sharp!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Does anyone know if this game will be shown live anywhere on line please?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

WOW - what a strong side - we look as though we are going for this seriously
Hehehehehehehehe
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Dan McKellar has named the matchday squad for Friday's Premiership Rugby Cup away game against Sale Sharks at Salford Stadium.

The Leicester Tigers Head Coach has made eleven changes to the starting side from last weekend's 50-6 victory over Caldy RFC at Mattioli Woods Welford Road.

Hanro Liebenberg will captain the side on Friday evening.

The matchday squad includes nine players to have featured in 10 games or less for the club.

Among the new faces in the side are Josh Bassett and Matt Rogerson, who will make their senior club debuts after arriving in Leicester over the summer.

Dan Kelly will make his 50th starting appearance for the club after being named to start in the midfield alongside Guy Porter for the first time this season.

Summer-signing Joe Powell, who came off the bench in Round 1 of the Cup campaign for his club debut, is set to make his first start for the club.

The additional new faces named in the starting line-up for their first competitive fixture of the season are James Cronin, Charlie Clare, Joe Heyes, Cameron Henderson, Hanro Liebenberg and Mike Brown.

Sam Carter, Kyle Hatherell and Jamie Shillcock, who debuted last Saturday at home, are among the replacements.

Also included on the bench is Handré Pollard who will make his first appearance of the 23/24 campaign if used on Friday night.

STARTING XV
15 Mike Brown [7]
14 Josh Bassett *
13 Guy Porter [60]
12 Dan Kelly [57]
11 Ollie Hassell-Collins [1]
10 Charlie Atkinson [18]
9 Joe Powell [1]
1 Francois van Wyk [31]
2 Charlie Clare [78]
3 Joe Heyes [123]
4 Cameron Henderson [37]