Tigers on Loan 2023/24

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers on Loan 2023/24

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:00 pm Ilione (topic of a lot of discussion) scored 2 tries for Nottingham while we were at the stoop...
who did Nottingham play ?
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:26 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:00 pm Ilione (topic of a lot of discussion) scored 2 tries for Nottingham while we were at the stoop...
who did Nottingham play ?
Friendly vs the Army (they were scheduled to play Jersey Reds this weekend prior to their collapse)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:23 pm
TheChild wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:20 pm
He was good last night. I was at Penzance last week and he was awful- looked very out of practice.
That's interesting, perhaps it's a fitness thing? Or, maybe, he just lacks consistency?
I thought it might have been lack of match fitness. He was much improved last night.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

TheChild wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:37 pm
He was good last night. I was at Penzance last week and he was awful- looked very out of practice.
That's interesting, perhaps it's a fitness thing? Or, maybe, he just lacks consistency?
I thought it might have been lack of match fitness. He was much improved last night.
:smt023
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Or he's had a brief period where Medical studies have interrupted training slightly?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I reckon if Jamie Roberts can qualify as a doctor while playing for Cardiff, Wales and the Lions, Ilione can make time to come to training.

Has there ever been any suggestion from the club that he isn't fully available to fulfill his professional contract?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:00 pm I reckon if Jamie Roberts can qualify as a doctor while playing for Cardiff, Wales and the Lions, Ilione can make time to come to training.

Has there ever been any suggestion from the club that he isn't fully available to fulfill his professional contract?
No but things like rehabbing from knocks may be more complicated. That for example may well explain his absence post Exeter, his apparent lack of match fitness etc...
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:00 pm I reckon if Jamie Roberts can qualify as a doctor while playing for Cardiff, Wales and the Lions, Ilione can make time to come to training.

No, it just appears to be something people put about to avoid confronting that clearly the coaches rate him less than they do. Feyi-Waboso is the same age, also a medical student and playing every week.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:23 am

No, it just appears to be something people put about to avoid confronting that clearly the coaches rate him less than they do. Feyi-Waboso is the same age, also a medical student and playing every week.
Agreed. I suspect that the coaching team see Ilione as someone who could have a huge future, but needs to work on a few things first.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/LboroRugby/status/1 ... vGVyg&s=19

Gourlay and Cusick both starting in the BUCS tomorrow, Meredith on the bench.

Quite a few ex Tigers in there too
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Roberts took his time to get his Med Degree (Wiki says he gradated after 8 years for a 5 year course + Intercalated 1 Yr Degree - so definitely took his time!) followed by another degree at Cambridge followed by a Masters at L'boro and I don't think has ever worked as a full time Dr in a hospital. Feyi-Waboso is retaking his 1st year after the Wasps demise so is basically doing an academic year of what he has done already. Ilione is studying full time and is now at a point (4th year) in his studies where he has to do full hospital shifts as a significant part of his studies as well as a taking a major set of exams this month. He did mention in his Tigers-Eyes episode that the club and Nott Med School are working together to manage rugby/medicine work load. If I was a betting man I would guess he has another year of full med studies then will be able to start F1 in hospital part time so will become available to play much more rugby if that is wants to do.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I was at the Exeter game and thought Illione did ok, the team played poorly I did not think Illione was the worst of our players. I think that one day he will be an excellent 8, possibly a flanker but for me in the middle of the back row.
Jamie Roberts completed his medical studies some time ago times change in both medicine and rugby and of course from one University to another, I am.pleased that our club seems willing to accommodate the long term.interests of a talented young player.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:12 pm

Agreed. I suspect that the coaching team see Ilione as someone who could have a huge future, but needs to work on a few things first.
Yes. Agree 100%.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

+ 1
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Champ: Archie Van De Flier @ 1 for Nottingham
Emeka Ilione @ 7 for Nottingham
Tom Manz @ 19 for Nottingham

Nat 1: Simon Koroiyadi @ 6 for Lions
Charlie Davies @13 for Lions
Malelili Satala @ 20 for Lions

Nat 2: Cam Miell @ 1 for Loughborough

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/5aVJKcytPCwj6UeX/

https://twitter.com/LboroRugby/status/1 ... SxOhg&s=19

https://twitter.com/NottinghamRugby/sta ... mDfQw&s=19