Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Freddie Steward @ 12

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:29 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:52 pm Im not sure,think the lock at 6 is tired old hat now. Much prefer Ludlam at 6. I'd even contemplate dropping Itoje at present and playing Lawes and Chessum in the second row.
I think Lawes playing lock is done, he's slimmed down a fair bit in the last couple of seasons and bar an emergency, like Ewels red Vs Ireland, he's not going to slot back in there. Not sure his body can take the strain, he's said himself he wasn't sure his body would hold out as long as it has.

The problem for Steward is that he's so solid and reliable and that isn't sexy. People quickly forget that you need players that can do the boring job so that others can shine. How long did we endure Daly at 15, who was great in attack, and worry everytime a kick went up or there was a one on one tackle to be made? Back then we were just wanting a fullback that was rock solid at the basics. Now we have one it seems everyone now wants a world class all court fullback who will make the 1% tackles and run it from deep like Cedric Heymans in his peak but also be rock solid under the high ball and carry strong in traffic.

England have two young 12s coming through very well in the Prem in Dan Kelly and Seb Atkinson. Get the world cup done with and then develop them.
Wow,just looked at his stats. Hadn't realised how little he has played at lock in the last few years
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

If you think Steward is a significant problem for England then you aren't watching the same game as i am.

Put him into a functioning backline or team that has some degree of attacking strategy and he'd look like the fantastic full back he is.

the problem is that our attack is so one dimensional and easy to defend against even Dupont would look average.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:13 pm If you think Steward is a significant problem for England then you aren't watching the same game as i am.

Put him into a functioning backline or team that has some degree of attacking strategy and he'd look like the fantastic full back he is.

the problem is that our attack is so one dimensional and easy to defend against even Dupont would look average.
Just to be clear as I said in the op this is what I have seen some supposed experts suggesting including SCW.
I am more than happy with him at 15 a fact born out by a recent pole which put him as the only English player in the worlds top 10
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:29 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:13 pm If you think Steward is a significant problem for England then you aren't watching the same game as i am.

Just to be clear as I said in the op this is what I have seen some supposed experts suggesting including SCW.
I am more than happy with him at 15 a fact born out by a recent pole which put him as the only English player in the worlds top 10
No worries - I wasn't directing my answer at anyone in particular, as you say it does seem to be a more regular comment from a range of pundits, experts and media but IMO its one of the last things we need to worry about at the moment. we could have peak Cullen at FB and he'd look like a clogger in this England team.
Baz

Post by Baz »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that some of those same pundits are suggesting Smith for FB.
So, Steward, Daly, Smith runs the gamut from tallest to smallest. Daly is hopeless in the air; would Smith be able to compete? That Daly ever thought his best position is FB, and that Jones encouraged him, beggars belief. They can all catch a ball, but winning in the air? A step too far, I think.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Baz wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:33 pm I'm surprised no one has mentioned that some of those same pundits are suggesting Smith for FB.
So, Steward, Daly, Smith runs the gamut from tallest to smallest. Daly is hopeless in the air; would Smith be able to compete? That Daly ever thought his best position is FB, and that Jones encouraged him, beggars belief. They can all catch a ball, but winning in the air? A step too far, I think.
Very true he had some time there against Ireland. Will beat the first man more often than not kicking game is ok, but he rest meh.
Beauden Barrett he ain’t
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:05 pm
Baz wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:33 pm I'm surprised no one has mentioned that some of those same pundits are suggesting Smith for FB.
Very true he had some time there against Ireland. Will beat the first man more often than not kicking game is ok, but he rest meh.
Beauden Barrett he ain’t
Smith in the backfield could be a great addition if England play it clever. You could name Smith at 15 and Steward on the wing but then not play a standard set up. Hide Smith on the wing and keep Freddie in position to field kicks. England tend to drop the 9 and 10 into the backfield so you'd probably sub the 9 into the defensive line and keep Steward back instead. In attack you've got Freddie on the wing to run off the shoulder of the 9/10 or hig the touchline for the crossfield kick and Smith as the extra playmaker.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Its not as easy as hiding a player though. Sounds good on paper but the best teams will always kick well enough to target a player and miss Steward. See Big Joe and Daly recently. Smith would get peppered sadly
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

As an ex-FB who could catch, tackle, and kick, in the old days that kept me in Kibworth 1st XV but I am not sure it is enough today. FS is a very good chaser and kicks well. If there is anyone better under the highball in the world, I would love to know. Not sure about his tackling and anyone with good footwork seems to be able to leave him a bit flat-footed at times. His movement from a standing start does need work but I would still play him at FB, not center. However, I could see him playing on the wing where the touchline is very much his friend.

My biggest issue with the way we are playing is that any kick is only as good as the chase and we do not seem to have the chasers needed doing their job well enough. Malins and May will try but are there better at this job in the country? Yes - Radwan, Murley or OHC are a better option for me and just as importantly the future as they are younger (24/5) as opposed to May (33)
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

trendylfj wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:21 am As an ex-FB who could catch, tackle, and kick, in the old days that kept me in Kibworth 1st XV but I am not sure it is enough today. FS is a very good chaser and kicks well. If there is anyone better under the highball in the world, I would love to know. Not sure about his tackling and anyone with good footwork seems to be able to leave him a bit flat-footed at times. His movement from a standing start does need work but I would still play him at FB, not center. However, I could see him playing on the wing where the touchline is very much his friend.

My biggest issue with the way we are playing is that any kick is only as good as the chase and we do not seem to have the chasers needed doing their job well enough. Malins and May will try but are there better at this job in the country? Yes - Radwan, Murley or OHC are a better option for me and just as importantly the future as they are younger (24/5) as opposed to May (33)
Yes,Daly has been our main kick chaser and he is scared of his own shadow! Feels like I’m having a pop at him continuously but this is elite level. You can’t keep playing someone just because he’s very good with ball in hand when there are so many other deficiencies in his game
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Pity Harry Potter didn’t qualify for England
A2O
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:48 am Pity Harry Potter didn’t qualify for England
How long would Harry Potter have needed to play and reside in England to qualify- if he wanted to of course?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:48 am Pity Harry Potter didn’t qualify for England
He does, he was born in England...

He however wants to represent Australia
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:53 am
How long would Harry Potter have needed to play and reside in England to qualify- if he wanted to of course?
He was born here so is already eligible to play for England
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:59 am
Nofrontteeth wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:53 am
How long would Harry Potter have needed to play and reside in England :smt023 to qualify- if he wanted to of course?
He was born here so is already eligible to play for England
Ta very much for clarification :smt023