World Class Players

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

World Class Players

Post by ay2oh »

There’s been much talk of Englands lack of world class players. Got me thinking about how many of these we have at Tigers. In my opinion Wiese, Montoya and Pollard fall into this category and Chessum, Martin, Reffell and Steward could be in a couple of years .
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: World Class Players

Post by sam16111986 »

Watson could potentially be in that conversation as well. More than 50 England caps, two Lions tours. Only injury has stopped him playing more at the tip stage.

Dan Cole used to be world class. Age has slowed him down a bit now though. Similarly Ben Youngs. You don't get invited to multiple Lions tours and become an international centurion by accident.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:05 pm Watson could potentially be in that conversation as well. More than 50 England caps, two Lions tours. Only injury has stopped him playing more at the tip stage.

Dan Cole used to be world class. Age has slowed him down a bit now though. Similarly Ben Youngs. You don't get invited to multiple Lions tours and become an international centurion by accident.
Watson was superb defensively yesterday,read the game incredibly well and we would’ve shipped more points if it wasn’t for him.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Yes but we can’t really count Watson as a Tigers player at the moment.
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We have one definite World Class player at Tigers & that's Montoya, Pollard might be but just doesn't get out on the park enough to provide the evidence.
We have a good handful who might get to that level, Chessum, or for me Chessums potentially the shortest odds
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:46 pm There’s been much talk of Englands lack of world class players. Got me thinking about how many of these we have at Tigers. In my opinion Wiese, Montoya and Pollard fall into this category and Chessum, Martin, Reffell and Steward could be in a couple of years .
Agree with this, Wiese or Montoya would make a huge difference to that England team.

Chessum most likely of the others to get there.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:30 pm Yes but we can’t really count Watson as a Tigers player at the moment.
It's a good point.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Me I sort of mentally split players into these sort of tiers

World Class
International Standard
Top Club Player
Club Player
Squad depth/development player

What makes this Tigers exciting is not so much how many of the very top tier we have, but the fact we have so many players in Tier 2 & 3.

Giving us depth across the squad.

You take the Tigers squad minus those going to the world cup and you still have a full starting 15 in just the top 3 tiers

Shilcock
Hassell-Collins
Porter
Kelly
Bassett
Atkinson
Powell
Cronin
Dolly
Heyes
Wells
Henderson
Rogerson
Liebenberg
Hatherell

That's still not touching players like Cracknell, Carter etc

That's a 15 we can put out with all of these 11 (12) away/injured
Van Poortvliet, Pollard, Cole, Chessum, Martin, Steward, (Watson), Youngs, Reffell, Montoya, Wiese & Kata
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Only true world class player at the moment is Montoya - arguably best no.2 in the world. Pollard and Wiese are both top test level players and feel we can beat most teams with them three in the XV.

Manu and Cole when at their best were also world class. Could say they were the best in their position when on top form. Same when Youngs first burst onto the test scene.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:06 am Only true world class player at the moment is Montoya - arguably best no.2 in the world. Pollard and Wiese are both top test level players and feel we can beat most teams with them three in the XV.

Manu and Cole when at their best were also world class. Could say they were the best in their position when on top form. Same when Youngs first burst onto the test scene.
Yes it's either Montoya or Marx depending how I'm feeling that day :smt003
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Montoya and Wiese are definitely in the "World Class Category". If Pollard hadn't been struggling with injury, I'd also have added him. I know it's a "what if" moment but when it was confirmed Pollard wouldn't take the field at Sale I seriously thought our chances of winning had seriously declined (and those around me seemed to have the same thought).

For that reason, I'd also add Steward. In my mind, he's the only England player I'd put in a World XV. He's only out of favour because England are utter tripe at the moment. But even now, I wouldn't write off any SB led England team. Its clear International teams have to adapt their game plan solely to address Steward's dominance, particularly in the air. I'm also sure most International Coaches wouldn't hesitate to have him in their First XVs. I rate him ahead of Ramos and Keenan though can understand why some would put these higher (Any FB will look good in the number 1 and 2 ranking teams!). I can also see why some would consider putting Beauden Barrett ahead of him, but then again, BB is more a FH in my book.

All my personal view obviously.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me Steward is nowhere near world class at the moment. He’s massive under the highball but at test level modern 15s need to almost be like a second playmaker in their ability to attack, like BB, Keenan and Ramos. I’m not saying Steward can’t get there because he’s only 22 and nowhere near his prime - but something he needs to work on. Same with his kicking out of hand. In 10 years we could be saying he’s England’s best ever fullback.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree that Steward is not world class YET but could be along with Chessum Martin and Reffell. Also got hopes for OHC and Kelly.
A2O
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:26 am
ay2oh wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:30 pm Yes but we can’t really count Watson as a Tigers player at the moment.
It's a good point.
Why not? Is it it a matter of who's the employer or who's the registered players club?
It is a professional game after all. Could I pay him and register him with the Tigers. Is it down to the taxman"s judgement and contracted labour?

If wrong then please explain
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:56 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:26 am
It's a good point.
Why not? Is it it a matter of who's the employer or who's the registered players club?
It is a professional game after all. Could I pay him and register him with the Tigers. Is it down to the taxman"s judgement and contracted labour?

If wrong then please explain
He is denoted as unregistered so RFU paying him at present
A2O