National league 1 - 2023/24

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: National league 1 - 2023/24

Post by Soggypitch »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:34 pm Digital program for this weekends game
https://publuu.com/flip-book/228604/872806/page/1
That's an impressive digital programme TB. Good luck to the Lions today. I'm about to head out to Leicester Forest to watch Mkt Harb, who will hopefully carry on their good form....having only lost one game this season!

But I might just call in for a pint at the Lions on my way back, have to go through Blaby, and I'm sure some of the oldies from Wigston will be there!
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I know there's a lot of lads still around from my playing days and the colts that made up the next generation too, I'm hopeful of a good result this weekend, hope your team goes well.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Half time Leicester Lions 13 - 7 Plymouth Albion
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Lions win 19-12
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

On a roll!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I watched it live on youtube, Lions were up against a big outfit who were in the race for promotion, this is a very important set of results. At home again next weekend when Moseley come to Blaby.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:00 pm I know there's a lot of lads still around from my playing days and the colts that made up the next generation too, I'm hopeful of a good result this weekend, hope your team goes well.
Great win for the Lions!! If they keep up this form they will be safely mid table very soon!

Meanwhile on Leicester Forest's 4G pitch (I've never seen so many stoppages for injuries), Market Harborough won 56 - 8 despite being 8-7 down with 5 minutes to go in the first half. I don't know what happened to LF in the second half, they just seemed to run out of puff and then lost all self belief. A shame because they have some very good players, as shown in their first half performance.
Onwards to Old Scouts next Saturday, this is Harborough's (and Scouts) game in hand, whoever wins will go top. Followed by the much anticipated local Derby v Lutterworth at Northampton Rd.
Soggypitch
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Well done Lions. It’s so important in the first season up a league to stay up, which hopefully they will do and then continue to grow
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Nat 1 is a great proving ground for academy players, so Tigers benefit(Saints also as it happens lol), so if the Tigers aren't playing or are away and you can't make it, there's a lot to offer at the Lions. I would also add go watch your local side too whoever they are.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Leicester Lions 19 Plymouth Albion 12
The Lions made it four wins in a row with a hard fought victory over 3rd place Plymouth Albion on a blustery day at Westleigh Park.
The opening quarter was very competitive and both sides had scoring opportunities that weren't taken, but it was the home side that broke the deadlock with a long range Luke Bouchier penalty on 18 minutes.
The lead was doubled on 31 minutes when Dan Lewis slotted another penalty but it was the visitors who got the first try when hooker Mead benefitted from the Plymouth driving maul.
The lead was short lived though as the Lions hit back with arguably the best move of the match. From in their own half winger Will Glister broke and found the impressive Charlie Davies out wide who beat two defenders before offloading to James Stubbs to cross under the posts.
The second half saw both sides trying to wrestle control of the closely fought contest however it was Plymouth who were enjoying the majority of the territory, due in part to playing with the wind. The Lions defence held firm though and their scrum was proving the difference between the two sides. Lewis profited from two penalties to extend the lead to 19-5.
A tense finish was set up when Lions Nick Cairns was shown a yellow card for a high tackle and prop Rukhadze scored from another driving maul, but the Lions defended stoutly for the last two minutes to record another memorable win.
Head coach Gareth Collins commented: ''We're absolutely delighted with today's performance. Plymouth are a top side with a pretty formidable pack so the fact we got the edge at the set piece was huge. We also had to show a lot of fight to keep them out, especially at the end of the game when down to 14. We're obviously in a good place at the moment, and confidence is high, but there's a long way left to go and we just need to keep working hard.''
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Huge game this weekend in what might be a new Midlands derby game, Moseley had the better of the game at Billesley Common, where the Lions picked up a losing bonus point and will no doubt be aiming to take advantage of being at home and get another win under their belts. The weather is forecast for light winds and light rain, with no game at Welford Road it is hoped a few Tigers fans will come along and swell the crowd for what promises to be great game.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I remember going over to The Reddings in the late 70s to watch a John Player cup game between Mosley and Tigers which Tigers won. In fact we had to turn round on our way home when we suddenly realised we had left one of our number in the players bar
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:59 am I remember going over to The Reddings in the late 70s to watch a John Player cup game between Mosley and Tigers which Tigers won. In fact we had to turn round on our way home when we suddenly realised we had left one of our number in the players bar
So the date was 3rd April 1982 and I went to watch LCFC play Spurs in the FA Cup semi final at Villa Park. In one of the most disappointing days of my young life at the time, City were well beaten on the day (those were the days when the FA Cup really meant something!!).

But I remember walking out and saying to my Dad, oh well at least we will be able to go to Twickers to watch Tigers in the JPC Final (they were playing the semi final v Moseley at the same time as the FA Cup semi final).

Imagine our shock to learn that Tigers had also lost to Moseley 12- 4 on the day.....we were gutted!!!!

Ps Glaws beat Coventry in the other semi and in the final at Twickers (20,000 attendance), the final score was 12- 12 and they shared the trophy!! The likes of Phil Blakeway and Mike Teague were playing for Glaws that day.
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Leicester Lions face Birmingham Moseley at Westleigh Park tomorrow in the Nat 1 midlands derby, no current Tigers in the squad this week as they are playing at Nottingham tonight.
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=98 ... 2006712797
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

The digital program for todays game at Blaby when Moseley come to the Lions Den
https://publuu.com/flip-book/228604/892895/page/1