National league 1 - 2023/24

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: National league 1 - 2023/24

Post by Rugbygramps »

Soggypitch wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:29 pm I saw Lewis Chessum has been playing for the Lions Tigerburnie.

How has he been playing in a struggling team, standing out at all?

Interested because of the Henderson injury obviously.

I hope they have a better 2nd half of the season, it's a tough league!! How many go down?
There was a report earlier in the thread of being gobby and a look at me attitude to his opponents
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

What I saw of the match highlights, he fit in well but and scored a try, but he wasn't head and shoulders above anyone else, Nat 1 is a very good league, it's a very big step up and the Lions are on a steep learning curve, going from an amateur league into a semi pro one with fully pro sides in it. They are not being embarrassed, it is small margins, which hopefully they will put right, they have an unsettled team as quite a few of the old side retired.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:41 pm
Soggypitch wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:29 pm I saw Lewis Chessum has been playing for the Lions Tigerburnie.

I hope they have a better 2nd half of the season, it's a tough league!! How many go down?
There was a report earlier in the thread of being gobby and a look at me attitude to his opponents
I'm not aware of that
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It used to be with Nat 1 that teams had in them ex premiership or championship players who hadn’t quite made it or were coming to the end of their career. Lewis Chessum will find the rugby physical and the guy he has been paired at lock with Will Ward must be nearing veteran stage by now but has always been excellent
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:40 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:41 pm

I'm not aware of that
Tigerburnie there were definitely a couple of posts, I believe after the Taunton game, where he had been disrespectful to the opposition and shouting about how much he was earning. They now appear to have been removed I assume by the club as they don’t like any negative press. So I expect this one to go soon
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Slightly lower in Regional 2 Midlands East, it has been a brilliant season so far with Northampton Old Scouts, Lutterworth, Market Harborough and Nuneaton all within 3 points at the top of the table, with Kettering a distant 5th.

See https://www.englandrugby.com/fixtures-a ... 2024#table

Mkt Harb and Old Scouts have a game in hand.

The highlight for Mkt Harb fans was a fantastic away win at Lutterworth, after being a long way adrift at half time. Four good teams, it will be interesting to see how the league pans out.......not sure any of them really want to go up!! :smt002
Soggypitch
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

England U20's players return for duty, strong looking Lions team
[www.facebook.com]

Charlie Myall starts and Malelili Satala on the bench
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Leicester Lions 25-20 Cinderford FT
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:35 pm Leicester Lions 25-20 Cinderford FT
Excellent win
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There are a handful of clubs who seem to be one step ahead of the rest, so the Lions have a chance from the rest to pick up a few points here and there, they have the players just lacking the experience, but it is coming.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:46 pm There are a handful of clubs who seem to be one step ahead of the rest, so the Lions have a chance from the rest to pick up a few points here and there, they have the players just lacking the experience, but it is coming.
You must be delighted, well done.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Nice early Christmas present, just need a win in Paris now
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Charlie Myall must be on nearly a try per game.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Leicester Lions 25 Cinderford 20
The Lions maintained hopes of survival with a much needed and hard fought win against a very physical Cinderford side.
The first half was mainly a battle for territory on a heavy pitch but it was the home side who struck first when Charlie Myall crossed in the corner on 15 minutes after scooping up a loose ball. Dan Lewis converted from out wide for a 7-0 lead.
Cinderford levelled the scores 5 minutes later though when they scored from their first driving lineout of the day following a kick to the corner after a breakdown penalty on half way.
A Lewis penalty regained the lead for the home side but it was another converted try from another driving maul just before half time that gave Cinderford a narrow half time lead.
HT 10-14
The Lions started the second half brightly and a kick through was chased down by Jake Sterland who's hard tackle on the opposition scrum half forced him to spill the ball and the flying winger hacked on and dived on the ball to score. Lewis converted for a 3 point lead. (17-14)
Both sides then wrestled for the lead in a very competitive period and two Winfield penalties from Cinderford gave them a 3 point lead before Lewis levelled the score with a penalty of his own with 15 minutes to go. (20-20).
The match winning score came on 70 minutes when the Lions attacked from deep and a Luke Bouchier break was finished off by Ogden who had just enough pace to beat the covering defence to the corner. (25-20).
The last 10 minutes was a nervy affair for the home support as the visitors pressed the Lions try line in the closing stages but the home side held firm and a crucial Simon Johnson turnover sealed the victory.
Head coach Gareth Collins commented: ''Obviously today was a big game for us so we're delighted with the result. Cinderford are a really strong side and their set piece caused us lots of issues. It was never going to be easy to play our style of rugby in those conditions so I was really pleased with how we managed the game through our kicking game but still played with width when we could. There's a lot for us to be proud of from the first half of the season, and we're well in the fight to stay up, so we'll enjoy the Christmas break now and look forward to the challenge of the second of the season. We have certainly proved that we can more than compete at this level and have nothing, or no one. to fear.''