Super User

Re: 2025 Lions Tour fixtures confirmed

Post by fentiger »

tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

watsonjm wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:20 pm
tjs10inOz wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:28 pm
watsonjm wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:18 pm Does anyone have an experience with getting Lions tickets? We are planning a trip to Aus to coincided with the Tour but would only need tickets (lots of family in Aus) so wouldn't want a full package if that makes sense.
They will be VERY difficult to get hold of outside of either an organised tour, or official channels.

For example, Super Rugby members have today been emailed about limited opportunities to enter a BALLOT for the right to buy Lions Test tickets!
Not the news I was hoping for but also not unexpected
To be honest, you'll be better placed than most if you have family in Australia, as they should be able to register for updates etc, plus have an Australian address for registration.
Most people in the UK planning on buying them from Australian sites will struggle.

I know that, as a Western Force member, I will be able to buy pre-sale tickets for the Perth tour game in Q1 2024, over a year out from the match.
I will also be able to enter a club ballot for access to Test tickets in early 2025, with no indication of how many tickets will be made available to each franchise for each test match. Each Super rugby franchise will have a similar ballot. No Super Rugby members will have guaranteed access to Lions Test tickets though.

While I expect some to go on general sale in Australia, I don't think there will be that many, and they won't be the prime tickets either. Your best bet would be for the Melbourne test, given the capacity of the MCG, and the fact that rugby union is barely on the sporting radar there.
When I went there for the Lions in 2001 with Gullivers, the border control staff kept asking why so many Brits were arriving, as they were oblivious to the 2nd Test happening in a couple of days. The smartly dressed Australian couple sat next to me at the game got up and left at half time as they had a theatre show to go to!
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

tjs10inOz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:29 am
watsonjm wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:20 pm
tjs10inOz wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:28 pm

They will be VERY difficult to get hold of outside of either an organised tour, or official channels.

For example, Super Rugby members have today been emailed about limited opportunities to enter a BALLOT for the right to buy Lions Test tickets!
Not the news I was hoping for but also not unexpected
To be honest, you'll be better placed than most if you have family in Australia, as they should be able to register for updates etc, plus have an Australian address for registration.
Most people in the UK planning on buying them from Australian sites will struggle.

I know that, as a Western Force member, I will be able to buy pre-sale tickets for the Perth tour game in Q1 2024, over a year out from the match.
I will also be able to enter a club ballot for access to Test tickets in early 2025, with no indication of how many tickets will be made available to each franchise for each test match. Each Super rugby franchise will have a similar ballot. No Super Rugby members will have guaranteed access to Lions Test tickets though.

While I expect some to go on general sale in Australia, I don't think there will be that many, and they won't be the prime tickets either. Your best bet would be for the Melbourne test, given the capacity of the MCG, and the fact that rugby union is barely on the sporting radar there.
When I went there for the Lions in 2001 with Gullivers, the border control staff kept asking why so many Brits were arriving, as they were oblivious to the 2nd Test happening in a couple of days. The smartly dressed Australian couple sat next to me at the game got up and left at half time as they had a theatre show to go to!
Thanks this is really useful.

Have you signed up on on - https://wallabies.rugby/lions-membership - for early access? Would be interested to know how much it is before figuring out a way to sign up.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

No I haven't, but I believe it is a crazy $1800, and that only gives you priority access to tickets, with no tickets included in the package!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

tjs10inOz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:29 pm No I haven't, but I believe it is a crazy $1800, and that only gives you priority access to tickets, with no tickets included in the package!
$1800!! might as well get a package through lions tour!
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

watsonjm wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:32 pm
tjs10inOz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:29 pm No I haven't, but I believe it is a crazy $1800, and that only gives you priority access to tickets, with no tickets included in the package!
$1800!! might as well get a package through lions tour!
You have to remember that they aren't intended for Lions fans wanting access to tickets on the sly. They are chasing the quasi-corporate market here as this is an expanded "Wallabies First" membership.
It includes exclusive "club member" events (essentially pre-game hospitality the day before each Wallabies home match, not just Lions games), access to Wallabies Test tickets for the whole year & stuff like that.
It's aiming at the rugby fan that only follows the national team, has more money than sense, but doesn't want/have access to corporate hospitality.