Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Prem Fixtures Released

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

wigworth wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:02 am
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:55 am What are peoples thoughts on the Derby Weekend, personally I'm not sure its a good idea doing all the derby games in one weekend, might it be better to spread them out and hype them up individually?
To me it tends to come across quite forced when they try to hype them up in the URC, as an outside observer I can't tell if it is an effective marketing tactic but it certainly doesn't entice me in as a viewer. Just let them fall where they may in a season.
I'm happy with the Derby weekend for the simple reason they are trying something new. And boy does our sport need a little initiative. Small steps and all that.....

I welcome the deconfliction with the 6N - Always felt short changed in previous seasons during the 6N as effectivelly was paying the same price for a second string team and it made a mockery of a couple of Derby games. The impact on the clubs on cash flow is worrying though....

The issue remains that unless World Rugby, PRU, RFU are torn up and rebuilt into organisations suitable to lead, grow, promote and govern a 21st Century sport I can't see how the sport gets out of, lets face it, a terminal decline. In this context Derby weekends and 6N gaps all seems a bit like moving deckchairs on a certain liner. Which is gutting because it's a great product on the pitch.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:18 pm
wigworth wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:02 am
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:55 am What are peoples thoughts on the Derby Weekend, personally I'm not sure its a good idea doing all the derby games in one weekend, might it be better to spread them out and hype them up individually?
To me it tends to come across quite forced when they try to hype them up in the URC, as an outside observer I can't tell if it is an effective marketing tactic but it certainly doesn't entice me in as a viewer. Just let them fall where they may in a season.
I'm happy with the Derby weekend for the simple reason they are trying something new. And boy does our sport need a little initiative. Small steps and all that.....

I welcome the deconfliction with the 6N - Always felt short changed in previous seasons during the 6N as effectivelly was paying the same price for a second string team and it made a mockery of a couple of Derby games. The impact on the clubs on cash flow is worrying though....

The issue remains that unless World Rugby, PRU, RFU are torn up and rebuilt into organisations suitable to lead, grow, promote and govern a 21st Century sport I can't see how the sport gets out of, lets face it, a terminal decline. In this context Derby weekends and 6N gaps all seems a bit like moving deckchairs on a certain liner. Which is gutting because it's a great product on the pitch.
Have I missed where they have introduced this?!?

I don't think they have at all, RIL did a nice graphic showing what weekends in the season they land on, but they are just random weeks in the season
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Round 6 weekend of November 18 fixtures are
Tigers v Saints
Quins v Saracens
Exeter v Gloucester
Bath v Bristol
Sale v Newcastle

4 of those are on TNT Sale game isn’t
Admittedly couple are a bit of a stretch to make derbies
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

So it's timed for the football international break where there is a decent chance to get more mainstream coverage in the papers/online, so I'm willing to give it a go, but am not too convinced.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

Those who subscribe to Twitter may have seen a short clip from Bristol today where people respond to all the other clubs' badges as the home games are revealed for next season. Whilst it's clearly staged (nobody recognises the other 8 teams' badges, but everybody recognises Bristol's), it is actually quite amusing; our badge is an 'angry jaguar' whereas Bath's is 'dull'.

I wonder whether the club has missed a bit of a trick with its rather conservative social media presence? There are some equally amusing replies from Sarries, Saints & Falcons...

https://twitter.com/BristolBears/status ... 5423489026
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TiltonTiger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:38 pm Those who subscribe to Twitter may have seen a short clip from Bristol today where people respond to all the other clubs' badges as the home games are revealed for next season. Whilst it's clearly staged (nobody recognises the other 8 teams' badges, but everybody recognises Bristol's), it is actually quite amusing; our badge is an 'angry jaguar' whereas Bath's is 'dull'.

I wonder whether the club has missed a bit of a trick with its rather conservative social media presence? There are some equally amusing replies from Sarries, Saints & Falcons...

It's a rip off of something the Tennessee Titans did back in May.

https://twitter.com/Titans/status/16568 ... _&ref_url=
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TiltonTiger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:38 pm Those who subscribe to Twittermay have seen a short clip from Bristol today where people respond to all the other clubs' badges as the home games are revealed for next season. Whilst it's clearly staged (nobody recognises the other 8 teams' badges, but everybody recognises Bristol's), it is actually quite amusing; our badge is an 'angry jaguar' whereas Bath's is 'dull'.

I responded in the best way I knew how, acknowledged the well played and gave credit to the Irratated Panda team!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:36 pm Round 6 weekend of November 18 fixtures are
Tigers v Saints
Quins v Saracens
Exeter v Gloucester
Bath v Bristol
Sale v Newcastle

Typical of the RFU & Premiership that instead of making these above fixtures at Christmas December 23rd when local derbies and full houses are needed they send Tigers away to one of the remotest spots of Exeter when the M5 and the trains will be full, the sun in Exeter will not be shining to enjoy our usual pints of Otter in the sun and munch on those great pasties.
I for one will unfortunately miss one of the great games of the season as Christmas calls. :smt114 :smt111 :smt013
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wormus wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:58 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:36 pm Round 6 weekend of November 18 fixtures are
Tigers v Saints
Quins v Saracens
Exeter v Gloucester
Bath v Bristol
Sale v Newcastle

Typical of the RFU & Premiership that instead of making these above fixtures at Christmas December 23rd when local derbies and full houses are needed they send Tigers away to one of the remotest spots of Exeter when the M5 and the trains will be full, the sun in Exeter will not be shining to enjoy our usual pints of Otter in the sun and munch on those great pasties.
I for one will unfortunately miss one of the great games of the season as Christmas calls. :smt114 :smt111 :smt013
There was a large debate last Christmas about games at home over Christmas weekend that people couldn’t attend because of family commitments attending other events cost etc. This coming Christmas the game is away and yet again posters are complaining. Some people will always find something to complain about
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:16 pm
Tigers v Saints
Quins v Saracens
Exeter v Gloucester
Bath v Bristol
Sale v Newcastle

There was a large debate last Christmas about games at home over Christmas weekend that people couldn’t attend because of family commitments attending other events cost etc. This coming Christmas the game is away and yet again posters are complaining. Some people will always find something to complain about
Annoyingly it is the one game not on TNT (BT) too...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:23 pm
Annoyingly it is the one game not on TNT (BT) too...
TBH Exeter aren’t the draw they once were. Also you can get it for £5 and the highlights are always available within 24 hours. Unfortunately can’t have everything
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers v Saints
Quins v Saracens
Exeter v Gloucester
Bath v Bristol
Sale v Newcastle

There was a complaint made earlier about a debate last Christmas about home and away games over Christmas that ended up with posters complaining. Some people will always find complaints that they can complain about
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Is there no club rugby at all between 27 Jan (Quins, A) and 23 Mar (Glos, H)?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:24 am Is there no club rugby at all between 27 Jan (Quins, A) and 23 Mar (Glos, H)?
No,a club 8 week break this 6N. Could hurt a lot of clubs financially ,maybe we can set some friendlies up
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:51 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:38 pm Those who subscribe to Twitter may have seen a short clip from Bristol today where people respond to all the other clubs' badges as the home games are revealed for next season. Whilst it's clearly staged (nobody recognises the other 8 teams' badges, but everybody recognises Bristol's), it is actually quite amusing; our badge is an 'angry jaguar' whereas Bath's is 'dull'.

It's a rip off of something the Tennessee Titans did back in May.

https://twitter.com/Titans/status/16568 ... _&ref_url=
Tennessee Titans weren't the first to do it either.
Western Force did it earlier than that, though admittedly with kids in daycare, rather than adults on the street, and I very much doubt they were the first to come up with the idea either:

https://westernforce.rugby/videos/watch ... 20Fixtures
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!