Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

2023/24 Premiership Rugby Cup

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/jackd9873/status/16 ... qQL4Q&s=19

It seems that the groups for the PRC got accidentally leaked early on our website

So expecting these to be confirmed tomorrow:
8/9/10 Sept Home vs Caldy
15/16/17 Sept Away vs Sale
22/23/24 Sept Home vs Ampthill
29/30/1 Sept/Oct Home vs Newcastle
7/8/9 Oct Away vs Bedford

Not a bad start to the season IMO
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: 2023/24 Premiership Rugby Cup

Post by Rugbygramps »

Be nice for Caldy and Ampthill to play at MWWR.
That’s 4 wins and the Sale game will be interesting they’ll be missing a few too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:15 pm Be nice for Caldy and Ampthill to play at MWWR.
That’s 4 wins and the Sale game will be interesting they’ll be missing a few too
Think Newcastle is possibly a tougher one to call than just auto-assuming a win.

They have a much smaller squad than ourselves, we have always used the PRC as a development competition, but with Newcastle having a smaller squad (generally speaking) more of their big name players play in the PRC for them, by necessity more than choice.

That said with these games leading directly into the season, certainly the later ones (including the Newcastle game) we may be wanting some of our first team to get minutes under their belt, so it may be we have to use it more as a preseason match than development match this time round.

Either way I wouldn't rush to write 4 wins down immediately.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:37 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:15 pm Be nice for Caldy and Ampthill to play at MWWR.
Think Newcastle is possibly a tougher one to call than just auto-assuming a win.

They have a much smaller squad than ourselves, we have always used the PRC as a development competition, but with Newcastle having a smaller squad (generally speaking) more of their big name players play in the PRC for them, by necessity more than choice.

That said with these games leading directly into the season, certainly the later ones (including the Newcastle game) we may be wanting some of our first team to get minutes under their belt, so it may be we have to use it more as a preseason match than development match this time round.

Either way I wouldn't rush to write 4 wins down immediately.
If it was up there I would agree with you. They are likely to be without their Argentinian contingent and including Nottingham we will be in 4 games in and strength of our squad I would be very disappointed if we didn’t win.
Will have to wait and see but nice to be talking about games again
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Also if that is the draw we will have plenty of chance to play all the available squad against the first 2 championship sides for them to get good experience and the more experienced lads to be fresher.

Strongest side available without any World Cup returnees and assuming Wells injury something like

Cronin
Dolly
Heyes
Cater
L Chessum
Liebenberg
Cracknell
Hatherall
Powell
Atkinson
OHC
Kelly
Scott
Bassett
Shilcock

Should be good enough for most
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/pr ... -confirmed

Confirmed that the early leaked games are correct.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/about/ ... new-format

Pool A
Saracens
Harlequins
Gloucester
Coventry
Hartpury
Nottingham

Pool B
Sale
Leicester
Newcastle
Bedford
Ampthill
Caldy

Pool C
Exeter
Bath
Jersey
Cornish Pirates
London Scottish

Pool D
Northampton
Bristol
Ealing
Doncaster
Cambridge

Intersting to note we agreed as top seeds to pool C to swap with Exeter and be 2nd seeds in Pool B instead (seedings based on league positions). This was for "operational" reasons, which if you look at the groups geographically makes sense
Last edited by TigerFeetSteve on Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Yes TFS I thought before you post it looked geographically based. London Scottish won’t be too happy though.

So pool winners through to the semifinals between us and Sale imo
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Just from a purely selfish POV, living in Leeds. I wish we'd got Donny.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

I'm looking forward to these matches, be nice to see some different teams in Caldy and Ampthill. Just a shame the game down at Goldington Road clashes with a decent day of matches in the World Cup.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Can anyone explain how Gloucester can have Hartpury in their pool?
The cynic in me says that any dual registered / loan players will not be allowed to play against their primary employer thus giving a Gloucester a better chance of a big score.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:16 pm Can anyone explain how Gloucester can have Hartpury in their pool?
The cynic in me says that any dual registered / loan players will not be allowed to play against their primary employer thus giving a Gloucester a better chance of a big score.
Doubt that will be the case but how many players are DR/loan from Gloucester now?
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:16 pm Can anyone explain how Gloucester can have Hartpury in their pool?
They're separate clubs and Hartpury get their DRs from a number of clubs?
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

It will be good to see these Championship clubs at Tigers and see how they develop with this competition.
I suppose the Ampthill "Mob!" will include the ex-Tigers vocal superstar Tom Hardwick at flyhalf. I think there are other ex-Tigers in these teams too. I welcome this competition, but still not as good as those cold Monday nights watching the "A" league with a bag of chips in the Crumbie! :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Did anyone else catch this?
"The bottom side in the Premiership will also face the Championship winner in a two-legged play-off for promotion.'
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer