23/24 Injury/Suspension/Absent International List

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: 23/24 Injury/Suspension/Absent International List

Post by johnthegriff »

I believe you are allowed to spend only about £400k on injury dispensation assuming you can afford the spend. With JVP absent we are still well covered in the 9 position with Youngs, Edwards, Powell and Whitely. We have a large squad to cover for the World Cup, unless we are dramatically hit by injury I think we should be alright in most positions without needing to resort to extra spending unless somebody exceptional become available in an area where we have somebody out for three months.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:46 pm I believe you are allowed to spend only about £400k on injury dispensation assuming you can afford the spend. With JVP absent we are still well covered in the 9 position with Youngs, Edwards, Powell and Whitely. We have a large squad to cover for the World Cup, unless we are dramatically hit by injury I think we should be alright in most positions without needing to resort to extra spending unless somebody exceptional become available in an area where we have somebody out for three months.
This is where I have the issue. The union with whom the player was on duty should be responsible for all associated costs from the injury including paying the salary of the injured player so as the club can re-invest that in putting in place adequate cover.

I would be fascinated to know how much, if any, of medical costs, rehab expenses, salary, other benefits and, in the worst case, compensation in the case of a catastrophic injury the unions have to cover. Surely it is not simply a case of them paying the players match fees and the club the agreed release amount (that it ridiculously split evently amongst the premiership clubs). There must be a greater level of liability than that.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

GB72 it sounds as if you are trying to introduce fairness and justice into the system could I suggest you check back to Many Tuilagi injury absences and several other players unavailable after international duty. I am sure there is some compensation in the event of catastrophic injury but ordinary injury I think is just tough luck on the player and his club. Hopefully after the World Cup we will still have a top.international quality scrum half (Youngs) and three back up players in the position so I don't think we need a replacement for JVP, hopefully he will.be available to us later in the season and in the meantime there is a wonderful opportunity maybe for Edwards to enhance his reputation.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scotland squad has been officially announced, as expected no Cam Henderson, so he's with us at the start of the season
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

JVP back with the squad today, in his boot.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Surprised Scotland let McInally and Bayliss go vs Ashman and Crosbie
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:14 pm Given we essentially signed Powell as a bonus to cover two international scrum halves when LI folded.

I'm doubtful even if he’s out for the season that we'll sign an injury replacement. Once the world cup is over for England I can't see Youngs playing for England again really.

So we'll have

Youngs, Powell, Whiteley & Edwards.

Not many clubs would even consider not signing a injury dispensation for one of their internationals
I seem to remember that we had Harry Simmons as a scrum half and alternately a winger but others on here seem to forget him as he has been sidelined for several seasons.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:15 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:14 pm Given we essentially signed Powell as a bonus to cover two international scrum halves when LI folded.

I'm doubtful even if he’s out for the season that we'll sign an injury replacement. Once the world cup is over for England I can't see Youngs playing for England again really.

So we'll have

Not many clubs would even consider not signing a injury dispensation for one of their internationals
I seem to remember that we had Harry Simmons as a scrum half and alternately a winger but others on here seem to forget him as he has been sidelined for several seasons.
Simmons is mainly seen as a winger now - and certainly let season was played at 11. Think he would be further down the pecking order as a 9, but would be one that could be used as an emergency.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:17 pm

So we'll have

Simmons is mainly seen as a winger now - and certainly let season was played at 11. Think he would be further down the pecking order as a 9, but would be one that could be used as an emergency.
Simmons has played the equivalent of about 300 minutes of elite rugby at scrum half, with one start in the Prem and one in the Challenge Cup; all the rest was PRC/AWC, mainly off the bench. It's over 3 years since he played at scrum half in the top tier too.

As you say, and emergency 9 perhaps if the situation was bad enough!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:25 pm

Simmons has played the equivalent of about 300 minutes of elite rugby at scrum half, with one start in the Prem and one in the Challenge Cup; all the rest was PRC/AWC, mainly off the bench. It's over 3 years since he played at scrum half in the top tier too.

Agreed!

Given we have Powell, Whiteley and Edwards all either recently signed or started at 9 over Harry as well as JVP and Youngs I think the chance Harry playing 9 in a game either selected at 9 or ‘21’ would be in more of an emergency scenario.

Hoping we don’t get to that level of emergency as Harry will likely be needed on the wing with only OHC, Bassett, Simmons and Browning as wingers confirmed at the club!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I wonder if there is a scrum half or possibly a speedy winger promoted from Academy to Senior Academy, there has so far been no announcement but surely there must have been some movement.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:52 pm I wonder if there is a scrum half or possibly a speedy winger promoted from Academy to Senior Academy, there has so far been no announcement but surely there must have been some movement.
Ollie Allan at 9 is a new signing to the academy from London Irish I believe, then Jack Kinder rumoured to be a winger signed to the academy. Unsure on any promotions from junior academy upwards until confirmed.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:32 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:25 pm

Agreed!

Given we have Powell, Whiteley and Edwards all either recently signed or started at 9 over Harry as well as JVP and Youngs I think the chance Harry playing 9 in a game either selected at 9 or ‘21’ would be in more of an emergency scenario.

Hoping we don’t get to that level of emergency as Harry will likely be needed on the wing with only OHC, Bassett, Simmons and Browning as wingers confirmed at the club!
Although Kata used extensively as a winger before too.

It doesn't help that the club haven't edited Simmons' player profile since he started!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Kata has been playing on the wing for Tonga
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:19 pm JVP back with the squad today, in his boot.
Yes he was at Gresham today, with all our squad, he was signing autographs for loads of little kids, he was wearing a boot but looked very cheerful.