Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: 23/24 Injury/Suspension/Absent International List

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:44 am Done an update with Pollard's latest news plus Henderson and Porter not in final squads
Stirling work TFS. In a selfish Tigers POV, not bad having a few return home, though individually a huge shame. I hope Pollard is not pushed and can return to Tigers for some Training if still on ‘Standby’. Having him integrate into calls and systems even if not playing will be a big boost. I just hope It’s not deja-vu like last season with Handrè…

Wells has also been photographed in training yesterday I believe. So hopefully that means Wells Henderson and Carter as the main locks with L Chessum, Manz and Carmichael in the PRC early season.
Not 100% sure he'll be joining us right away. With him being on standby he can't train with the squad during the World Cup, doesn't mean they can't spend time with the squad beforehand. I suspect he'll join us right at the start of the World cup
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:18 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:18 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:44 am Done an update with Pollard's latest news plus Henderson and Porter not in final squads
Stirling work TFS. In a selfish Tigers POV, not bad having a few return home, though individually a huge shame. I hope Pollard is not pushed and can return to Tigers for some Training if still on ‘Standby’. Having him integrate into calls and systems even if not playing will be a big boost. I just hope It’s not deja-vu like last season with Handrè…

Wells has also been photographed in training yesterday I believe. So hopefully that means Wells Henderson and Carter as the main locks with L Chessum, Manz and Carmichael in the PRC early season.
Not 100% sure he'll be joining us right away. With him being on standby he can't train with the squad during the World Cup, doesn't mean they can't spend time with the squad beforehand. I suspect he'll join us right at the start of the World cup
Excellent point
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just seen that Pollard, Am, Du Toit, and a couple of others will travel to England with the Springboks squad for their final warm up games
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Re OHC while he was pictured modelling a fetching pink t shirt he does seem to be absent in any training videos. If there is an issue hopefully only a minor one
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Nienaber says Polly is in the 'return to play' stage, and has trained one defence and one attack session. But is doing less than 50% of the workload of his competition.

Sounds like they're being very sensible with him.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

JVP very much a doubt for the World Cup

Foot/ankle/ligaments
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:54 pm JVP very much a doubt for the World Cup

Foot/ankle/ligaments
so you’ve done a scan already have you ?
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:30 pm
Darc Tiger wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:54 pm JVP very much a doubt for the World Cup

Foot/ankle/ligaments
Look like his knee took a knock when Adams dipped his shoulder into him off the ball. Hopefully it's just a twist and nothing serious.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:45 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:30 pm

Foot/ankle/ligaments
Look like his knee took a knock when Adams dipped his shoulder into him off the ball. Hopefully it's just a twist and nothing serious.
He was in a boot
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

At least one of the papers are reporting Mitchell has been called up
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

JVPs injury didn’t look good. Gutting for him if he misses out on the WC from this (though from and England POV Mitchell coming back in may not be a bad thing - just wish it was Mitchell, JVP and an other not at JVPs expense…).

As TFS has said, Powell looks a good signing now and gives us good cover with him and Whiteley before Youngs comes back. Be surprised if we see JVP before Jan if not later, if it is as bad as some fear.

I hope It’s not that bad and all the best to you Jack!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:29 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:45 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:30 pm so you’ve done a scan already have you ?
He was in a boot
SB said he'll have scans so boot and crutches would be expected as precautionary at the very least. Don't want to risk slipping or putting undue pressure on it and making it worse getting onto the coach.

Makes sense Mitchell would be drafted in as he was in the initial training squad and the 6N squad.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/st ... and-230714

Confirms JVP needs ankle surgery, recovery from surgery means he may well be missing significant parts of the season
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Given we essentially signed Powell as a bonus to cover two international scrum halves when LI folded.

I'm doubtful even if he’s out for the season that we'll sign an injury replacement. Once the world cup is over for England I can't see Youngs playing for England again really.

So we'll have

Youngs, Powell, Whiteley & Edwards.

Not many clubs would even consider not signing a injury dispensation for one of their internationals
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:14 pm Given we essentially signed Powell as a bonus to cover two international scrum halves when LI folded.

I'm doubtful even if he’s out for the season that we'll sign an injury replacement. Once the world cup is over for England I can't see Youngs playing for England again really.

So we'll have

Youngs, Powell, Whiteley & Edwards.

Not many clubs would even consider not signing a injury dispensation for one of their internationals
I guess it also comes down to available funds. The bonus I suppose is there are a lot of out of contract, available players floating around.