Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Stephen18 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:40 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:14 pm https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/176 ... FgElw&s=19

Saracens announce their 2nd Loosehead signing in a couple of days plus also announced Mawi a contract extension...

Surely that means West (and Vunipola) is up for grabs?

I would take West if we had the opportunity...
I'm massively sold on this if I'm honest. West, Whitcombe and Ellof would be a pretty solid trio of LH's with Van Der Flier and Miell in the background coming through.
Is West a premiership starter? I remember him when he was here and he was a great addition to the squad and did well when he played, but he was a back up to Cronin. I get there’s talk of adding more ball carriers throughout the pack rather than just a number 8, but if he’s not an out and out 1st choice and we need to bring in another starting loose head, I was hoping whitcombe would become the 2nd choice.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

GB72 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:43 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:14 pm https://twitter.com/Saracens/status/176 ... FgElw&s=19

Saracens announce their 2nd Loosehead signing in a couple of days plus also announced Mawi a contract extension...

I'm massively sold on this if I'm honest. West, Whitcombe and Ellof would be a pretty solid trio of LH's with Van Der Flier and Miell in the background coming through.
With potential replacements already announced by Saracens, it could also fall under the sort of announcement that could be made 'Soon'
Massively agree.

Possibly wildly off the mark but maybe Ellof, West and Perese are three names that would be new signings. Been linked with 2 in the media, West is more speculative but feels a realistic name to come in.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Stephen18 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:15 pm

Is West a premiership starter? I remember him when he was here and he was a great addition to the squad and did well when he played, but he was a back up to Cronin. I get there’s talk of adding more ball carriers throughout the pack rather than just a number 8, but if he’s not an out and out 1st choice and we need to bring in another starting loose head, I was hoping whitcombe would become the 2nd choice.
Memory may be playing tricks on me, but i thought West started nearly all of his games with us. Cronin was injured for a fair chunk of it, but when he came back West still kept the shirt. Personally i'd be comfortable starting West in the league and Champions Cup.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:19 pm

Memory may be playing tricks on me, but i thought West started nearly all of his games with us. Cronin was injured for a fair chunk of it, but when he came back West still kept the shirt. Personally i'd be comfortable starting West in the league and Champions Cup.
Agreed, for me West was slightly ahead of Cronin last season by the end of the year. He was the season before Wasps first choice Loosehead and he had an international call up in 2021 (though wasn't capped).

I expect if he rejoined to be our primary starting Loosehead.

EDIT: based on All Rugby stats after he joined us, he started in all but 3 of our prem games (including the semifinal) one of those he didn't start was his debut, the other two were rounds 22 & 23 when we had qualified (or all but for the semifinals and were rotating players a bit)
Last edited by TigerFeetSteve on Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

You absolutely right I just had a quick look and he started 7 of his 11 games for us including the semi final which I hadn’t realised, I thought Cronin was out main prop last season.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Stephen18 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:42 pm

You absolutely right I just had a quick look and he started 7 of his 11 games for us including the semi final which I hadn’t realised, I thought Cronin was out main prop last season.
Cronin did actually start the season as first choice, but breaking his arm at Clermont has done him no favours. Not really been the same player for me ever since.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

West was very good for us but doesn’t seem to have kicked on at Sarries though I think he’d been injured. Very much speculation at the moment
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:56 pm West was very good for us but doesn’t seem to have kicked on at Sarries though I think he’d been injured. Very much speculation at the moment
Different clubs put different requirements out on their props.

West is also up against 2 international Looseheads there (he was rumoured to have signed to go there this season prior to his Tigers contract) at the time he was signed to cover Vunipola and Mawi being away. Different clubs put different emphasis on their props so not too concerned that his gametime has been a bit limited at Sarries.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Some players don't settle in certain clubs for loads of reasons, see Charlie Atkinson for us. West's got a body of work to look at so I wouldn't over focus on just the most recent season at Saracens. You want a stable of props ideally & he'd be a fine option.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If Tom West was available for a return I'd take him back in a heartbeat. He seemed to fit in well here, is only 28 and won't be particularly expensive in prop terms. He certainly played well for us.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

following on from the Rolling Maul boys becoming proper podcasters by interviewing Andrea Pinchen which was a great listen, Andy Goode has interviewed Dan McKeller on this weeks Rugby Pod, not gotten to it yet but Goode doesn't normally pull his punches so should be interesting.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:04 pm following on from the Rolling Maul boys becoming proper podcasters by interviewing Andrea Pinchen which was a great listen, Andy Goode has interviewed Dan McKeller on this weeks Rugby Pod, not gotten to it yet but Goode doesn't normally pull his punches so should be interesting.
McKellar is also on the BBC Radio Leicester rugby show tonight
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:14 pm If Tom West was available for a return I'd take him back in a heartbeat. He seemed to fit in well here, is only 28 and won't be particularly expensive in prop terms. He certainly played well for us.
For me I think it's time to give Whitcombe a run as the starting LH.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:33 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:14 pm If Tom West was available for a return I'd take him back in a heartbeat. He seemed to fit in well here, is only 28 and won't be particularly expensive in prop terms. He certainly played well for us.
For me I think it's time to give Whitcombe a run as the starting LH.
With van Wyk and Cronin. Both rumoured to be off we will be very short at loosehead. We aren't exactly well stocked at loosehead as it stands. If we could acquire one or both of Will Goodrick-Clarke and Tom West to provide competition for Whitcombe that would be good for the squad overall.

I think Whitcombe is a good player but with props you can't put all your eggs in one or even two baskets.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tom West was very consistent for us, I'd be more than happy to have him back as 1st choice.

I do wonder if McKellar likes players with a more all round game though, hence the reappearance of Van Wyk after a while out in the cold, despite his scrummaging limitations.