Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Scuttle »

GB72 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:09 am
Scuttle wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:05 am
ay2oh wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:21 pm like he’d tell you😂
I don't think even Yorkshire can do talking Rhinos
If they could, the first thing they would say would involve telling you they were from Yorkshire.
Indeed! I have 2 daughters in law from Yorkshire, and I am from Lancashire. Deep joy!!
As Good As It Gets
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:52 am Totally agree with @RagingBull on trying to over-analyse the words of a guy who responds to questions on his future by saying, "I've never been important enough to be asked... I'd like to keep it that way."

Having said that... the 'for now' in his "For now, I'm here," makes my heart ache.
There's this from Adam Whitty who did the interview when he mentions his "passion" and inferences which don't show on the word for word quote...

https://twitter.com/adamjwhitty/status/ ... oR1rA&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

if he's going he's going, no one will doubt his commitment whilst in the shirt however and that's what really counts this season
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:57 pm if he's going he's going, no one will doubt his commitment whilst in the shirt however and that's what really counts this season
It's a short career and he's no roots over here, so if he can earn a load more money playing in a top French team, who can blame him?!
Providing he plays his heart out for Tigers whilst contracted here, which I have no doubt he will do!!!

My favourite player, he will be sorely missed, let's hope he/we can do something special this season!!
Soggypitch
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Soggypitch wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:10 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:57 pm if he's going he's going, no one will doubt his commitment whilst in the shirt however and that's what really counts this season
It's a short career and he's no roots over here, so if he can earn a load more money playing in a top French team, who can blame him?!
Providing he plays his heart out for Tigers whilst contracted here, which I have no doubt he will do!!!

My favourite player, he will be sorely missed, let's hope he/we can do something special this season!!
Totally agree that he will give 100% while he’s here and I think we all hope he stays.
If he does go it would be interesting if we looked for another unpolished diamond South African. I know Ernst Von Rhyn skippered their u20s but Sale have found themselves a real gem there
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I've said before that we'd struggle to keep hold of Wiese at the end of his contract. Can't say we haven't got value for money. Can't begrudge him if he opts for the big payday.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:21 pm

Totally agree that he will give 100% while he’s here and I think we all hope he stays.
If he does go it would be interesting if we looked for another unpolished diamond South African. I know Ernst Von Rhyn skippered their u20s but Sale have found themselves a real gem there
Cameron Hanekom at the Bulls seems to have a good reputation but hasn't made it big yet so could be attainable. Has started the season at 8 for the Bulls pushing Louw onto the flank. At 21 he's a bright talent.

Will be difficult to sign an international quality all action 8 like Weise though as they are rare and unsurprisingly command high salaries. Hopefully Jasper still bleeds white, green and red so we can enjoy watching him at Welford Road for a few years yet.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:57 pm

Cameron Hanekom at the Bulls seems to have a good reputation but hasn't made it big yet so could be attainable. Has started the season at 8 for the Bulls pushing Louw onto the flank. At 21 he's a bright talent.

Will be difficult to sign an international quality all action 8 like Weise though as they are rare and unsurprisingly command high salaries. Hopefully Jasper still bleeds white, green and red so we can enjoy watching him at Welford Road for a few years yet.
Shame players like Tom Willis were snapped up as he would have been ideal. Maybe even someone like Harry Wilson from Aus if DMK can put a word in? I reckon he’d fit quite well and seems out of int reckoning (although depends who next Aussie HC is).

Wonder if we’ve been watching the World Cup and planning ahead… maybe someone different to the traditional 8 like Martins or a Georgian or Fijian flank and allow Hatherell and Hanro to play 8 more?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:01 am

Shame players like Tom Willis were snapped up as he would have been ideal. Maybe even someone like Harry Wilson from Aus if DMK can put a word in? I reckon he’d fit quite well and seems out of int reckoning (although depends who next Aussie HC is).

Wonder if we’ve been watching the World Cup and planning ahead… maybe someone different to the traditional 8 like Martins or a Georgian or Fijian flank and allow Hatherell and Hanro to play 8 more?
As in the Portuguese Martins? Don't think he'd suit us as an 8.

Wilson would be a good shout. Slightly disappointed we didn't try and pick up Lucas Brooke after the LI demise, thought he could have been developed into a good 7/8.

I think the Georgians get picked up young by the French clubs. Keeping an eye on Dura Super Rugby team is probably a good idea.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:38 pm

Wilson would be a good shout. Slightly disappointed we didn't try and pick up Lucas Brooke after the LI demise, thought he could have been developed into a good 7/8.

I think the Georgians get picked up young by the French clubs. Keeping an eye on Dura Super Rugby team is probably a good idea.
Agree Martins wouldn’t be a direct replacement at 8 but a backrow of Martins (6) Tommy (7) and Hanro (8) wouldn’t be bad imo!

Wilson is the right sort of player I think. Just depends if he’d come. We seem to always go for this grafter type, but really miss the ball carrier type.

The Fijian Derenalagi looked good and powerful at the WC but again not really an 8.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:52 pm

Agree Martins wouldn’t be a direct replacement at 8 but a backrow of Martins (6) Tommy (7) and Hanro (8) wouldn’t be bad imo!

Wilson is the right sort of player I think. Just depends if he’d come. We seem to always go for this grafter type, but really miss the ball carrier type.

The Fijian Derenalagi looked good and powerful at the WC but again not really an 8.
Yeah we need an explosive carrier if we do lose Weise. It's not just the number of carries but the impact of them. Cracknell or Liebenburg could drop in at 8 and carry hard but need that little extra.

Derenalagi played 8 in Super Rugby so could be a go. Be interesting to see if he could adjust to NH rugby.

Martins is an interesting one, be a switch back to the days of a Mafi/Croft type on the flank. His all action displays were good for Portugal. He's in ProD2 currently (his club seem quite handy at scouting for Tier 2 talent) so wonder if a bigger team might come offering a deal soon.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:37 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:52 pm

Yeah we need an explosive carrier if we do lose Weise. It's not just the number of carries but the impact of them. Cracknell or Liebenburg could drop in at 8 and carry hard but need that little extra.

Derenalagi played 8 in Super Rugby so could be a go. Be interesting to see if he could adjust to NH rugby.

Martins is an interesting one, be a switch back to the days of a Mafi/Croft type on the flank. His all action displays were good for Portugal. He's in ProD2 currently (his club seem quite handy at scouting for Tier 2 talent) so wonder if a bigger team might come offering a deal soon.
Derelangi reminds me a bit of Bill Mata so could work - but all depends on Wiese of course.

The days with Croft/Mafi at 6 had Salvi at 7 - who is more industrious than Reffell but less impact in the link play. Then Crane at 8 or Waldrom. Crane was similar to to Hanro at 8 perhaps, maybe Hatherell. Waldrom a bit more like Wiese.

The balance will be interesting but shows there are options out there!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Squad wise I feel we need to fine tune it with the cap increase (if we can afford it)
Loosehead - Either need a better starter than Cronin or a better back up than Van Wyk. Whitcombe should be viewed as out main bench option though he's got a really good mix of abilities.
Starter options - Sutherland and Fischetti are both on 1 year deals, and there is a rumour of Genge.
Backup options - Goodrick-Clarke, or someone
Youngster option - I like Phil Brantingham at Falcons

Tighthead - Really happy with Hurd's growth he can push Heyes now I feel, Question is how long Cole can be seen as a starter. Prob has one more season after this as a starter. Richardson isn't the answer as depth option guess once fit see how Hoyt does.

Lock - Carter on a short term deal not sure I would keep him or not, depends how our lineout develops. Henderson will be chased by the SRU which is a worry. Unpopular opinion but feel Wells isn't quite what he once was. One of Carter or Wells could move on and we should start to be looking at some of the younger lads to come in.

Back Row - Must keep Wiese. Rogerson is a good Hanro back up, work horses that would allow a 7 to jackal and a 8 to carry.
I like
6. Liebenberg, Rogerson, Carnduff
7. Reffell, Ilione,
8. Wiese, Hatherall,
All round: Cracknell
As options though and we have more youngster coming up.

Scrum half - Keep Youngs and JVP. I feel Powell and Whiteley aren't good enough even as 3rd choice but IDK if it's the system or not. If Edwards and Allen can develop this season and with Youngs retiring I would be happy with
JVP, Youngs, Edwards, Allen

Fly half - Interesting one Pollard world class. Shillcock is an excellent back up BUT is also potentially the main back up 15 next season. Atkinson looks shot of confidence prob would be better for him to move honestly, Wilkinson is he a prem level 10? Meredith can he step up?

Centre - Another issue. Kelly and Porter form since rejected by England looks bad. Kata proving to be a very powerful looking 12, Scott is my first choice 13 fingers crossed he can stay fit. Woodward looks really promising at 12 as does Cusick at 13. Cokanasiga looks like he isn't good enough or needs a change of environment.

Wing - Happy with our options but we need more depth with speed especially if Kata is playing centre. Is Porter a better winger than centre?

Full back - Linked with what we do at 10, need Brown or a option like brown to allow Shillcock at 10.

So currently I would be looking at
OUT
Van Wyk
Richardson
Carter/Wells
Rogerson (?)
Atkinson (?)
Wilkinson (?)
Cokanasiga
Brown

IN
Loosehead (Starter or Back up option)
Feel a genuine lock/Back rower might be a good one. Similar to Van Rhyn at Sale mould
Centre/Winger
Fly Half/Fullback

Promoted/Used more youngsters
Hoyt, Ilione, Carnduff, Lewis Chessum, Edwards, Allen, Meredith, Woodward, Cusick,

That's currently my thoughts on the squad ATM
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

Hanekom has a Welsh Grandmother apparently
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67397341
CrumbieGrumbler
Tiger Cub

Post by CrumbieGrumbler »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:28 am Squad wise I feel we need to fine tune it with the cap increase (if we can afford it)
Loosehead - Either need a better starter than Cronin or a better back up than Van Wyk. Whitcombe should be viewed as out main bench option though he's got a really good mix of abilities.
Starter options - Sutherland and Fischetti are both on 1 year deals, and there is a rumour of Genge.
Backup options - Goodrick-Clarke, or someone
Youngster option - I like Phil Brantingham at Falcons

Tighthead - Really happy with Hurd's growth he can push Heyes now I feel, Question is how long Cole can be seen as a starter. Prob has one more season after this as a starter. Richardson isn't the answer as depth option guess once fit see how Hoyt does.

Lock - Carter on a short term deal not sure I would keep him or not, depends how our lineout develops. Henderson will be chased by the SRU which is a worry. Unpopular opinion but feel Wells isn't quite what he once was. One of Carter or Wells could move on and we should start to be looking at some of the younger lads to come in.

Back Row - Must keep Wiese. Rogerson is a good Hanro back up, work horses that would allow a 7 to jackal and a 8 to carry.
I like
6. Liebenberg, Rogerson, Carnduff
7. Reffell, Ilione,
8. Wiese, Hatherall,
All round: Cracknell
As options though and we have more youngster coming up.

Scrum half - Keep Youngs and JVP. I feel Powell and Whiteley aren't good enough even as 3rd choice but IDK if it's the system or not. If Edwards and Allen can develop this season and with Youngs retiring I would be happy with
JVP, Youngs, Edwards, Allen

Fly half - Interesting one Pollard world class. Shillcock is an excellent back up BUT is also potentially the main back up 15 next season. Atkinson looks shot of confidence prob would be better for him to move honestly, Wilkinson is he a prem level 10? Meredith can he step up?

Centre - Another issue. Kelly and Porter form since rejected by England looks bad. Kata proving to be a very powerful looking 12, Scott is my first choice 13 fingers crossed he can stay fit. Woodward looks really promising at 12 as does Cusick at 13. Cokanasiga looks like he isn't good enough or needs a change of environment.

Wing - Happy with our options but we need more depth with speed especially if Kata is playing centre. Is Porter a better winger than centre?

Full back - Linked with what we do at 10, need Brown or a option like brown to allow Shillcock at 10.

So currently I would be looking at
OUT
Van Wyk
Richardson
Carter/Wells
Rogerson (?)
Atkinson (?)
Wilkinson (?)
Cokanasiga
Brown

IN
Loosehead (Starter or Back up option)
Feel a genuine lock/Back rower might be a good one. Similar to Van Rhyn at Sale mould
Centre/Winger
Fly Half/Fullback

Promoted/Used more youngsters
Hoyt, Ilione, Carnduff, Lewis Chessum, Edwards, Allen, Meredith, Woodward, Cusick,

That's currently my thoughts on the squad ATM

There's a rumour we may be trying to get Genge back?! That would certainly be a welcome rumour if so. Or have I misinterpreted your post