Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Pellsey »

RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:05 am
Pellsey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:03 am As a 2nd choice, Cronin is great...
But further limiting Whitcombe’s game time? Tricky one
True!!!

I just don't see Cronin as a Tigers' 1st choice, unfortunately. He would be for lesser clubs :)
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Loving the positivity from the usual suspects. Whitely yes 3rd choice but a good player, but with Lenny likely to have one season left and JVP with England when fit, where else are you finding someone to fill that role.
Cronin is a premiership standard player. Why is it restricting Whitcombe game time, you need to be able to rotate props without a drop in standard, and again who are you bringing who’s available. West and Goodrich Clarke are on the same level even if they were available
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:10 am
ay2oh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:04 am Would love to see Pollard and Montoya extend their contracts
That would make my week too!!
Won't happen but I'd be happier with Wiese and Montoya lol
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:18 am
Pellsey wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:10 am
ay2oh wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:04 am Would love to see Pollard and Montoya extend their contracts
That would make my week too!!
Won't happen but I'd be happier with Wiese and Montoya lol
Can see Montoya staying but Pollard might be off after next season
A2O
Sampy

Post by Sampy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:13 am Loving the positivity from the usual suspects. Whitely yes 3rd choice but a good player, but with Lenny likely to have one season left and JVP with England when fit, where else are you finding someone to fill that role.
Cronin is a premiership standard player. Why is it restricting Whitcombe game time, you need to be able to rotate props without a drop in standard, and again who are you bringing who’s available. West and Goodrich Clarke are on the same level even if they were available
Lenny is only 34. 5 years younger than. Wiggesworth when he played for us, think he'll be with us for a long time yet
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

My only concern about Montoya is the fast tracking of an Argentinian team into Super Rugby. That you have to think may be a temptation.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Argentine super rugby team will prob focus on home players and the older abroad players.
Got to remember they folded for a reason in the first place.

RE re-signings
Whiteley prob won't get a better 3rd choice SH, and gives Edwards and Allen both a great target

Cronin tricky one for me
I feel that props you need a 2nd choice prop who is a prem start quality and a 3rd choice who is a 2nd choice quality.
It's all about who else comes in Cronin would prob be the best back up in the league IMO, as a starter he is prob in the top 5/6.

If we announce someone like De Bruin, Eloff or West then LH is in a very good and solid place imo
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Good news about Whiteley - he's been one of our most consistent performers. Invaluable in the absence of YBY and JVP.

Cronin and van Wyk will both be 33 by the start of next season, so I'm happy if we give a contract to one of them and aim to get in a replacement in their mid-/late-20s. That'd complement Whitcombe nicely.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Matt Scott will be leaving and returning to Edinburgh (the city, not necessarily the team) at the end of the season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:43 am Matt Scott will be leaving and returning to Edinburgh (the city, not necessarily the team) at the end of the season.
Brave to come out with that prediction when we know there's likely 2 more extensions announced today plus rumours of other centres going...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Harry Simmons next, I'm glad we are showing him some faith but his injury curse will surely need to come to an end soon
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:04 am Harry Simmons next, I'm glad we are showing him some faith but his injury curse will surely need to come to an end soon
I hope so! Great renewal!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Really happy we're keeping hold of Simmonds.

Not so pleased Cronin. He's 33 and his scrum work is fading in effectiveness. Got to hope that deal is a significant reduction because he's not a likely starter and probably should be third choice if we can bring in a good loosehead.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:54 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:43 am Matt Scott will be leaving and returning to Edinburgh (the city, not necessarily the team) at the end of the season.
Brave to come out with that prediction when we know there's likely 2 more extensions announced today plus rumours of other centres going...
It's come from a reliable source!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Sampy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:30 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:13 am Loving the positivity from the usual suspects. Whitely yes 3rd choice but a good player, but with Lenny likely to have one season left and JVP with England when fit, where else are you finding someone to fill that role.
Lenny is only 34. 5 years younger than. Wiggesworth when he played for us, think he'll be with us for a long time yet
Not convinced only time will tell