LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by ay2oh »

Apparently we have 2 new centres to announce according to a poster who quoted “a reliable source”.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

For me the difference between Ford and Wiese is that there was a like for like replacement for Ford in Pollard.
There just isn’t for Wiese unless the like of Valentini Savea or Matera suddenly become available
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:41 pm Apparently we have 2 new centres to announce according to a poster who quoted “a reliable source”.
I was at the garage next to the ground Wednesday afternoon and caught sight of what could well have been a photo shoot for a new player in front of the big stand. Unfortunately wasn’t close enough to get details
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:41 pm For me the difference between Ford and Wiese is that there was a like for like replacement for Ford in Pollard.
There just isn’t for Wiese unless the like of Valentini Savea or Matera suddenly become available
A fair point but much is reliant on the interpretation of not replacing. Are we not getting anyone in, are we not getting the same type of player in (not really possible) or are we spending the funds elsewhere. Time will tell but, as I said, I have my doubts on the squad spending this year (the cynic in me thinks you cannot say anything other than you are spending up to the cap when you are asking people to pay more for season tickets) but all of this may just be me having a tin foil hat moment, I have those every now and again. The comments in the interview on the Pod this week about the cap being absorbed by the retention of existing players just came across to me as a hint not to expect big names.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:49 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:41 pm For me the difference between Ford and Wiese is that there was a like for like replacement for Ford in Pollard.
A fair point but much is reliant on the interpretation of not replacing. Are we not getting anyone in, are we not getting the same type of player in (not really possible) or are we spending the funds elsewhere. Time will tell but, as I said, I have my doubts on the squad spending this year (the cynic in me thinks you cannot say anything other than you are spending up to the cap when you are asking people to pay more for season tickets) but all of this may just be me having a tin foil hat moment, I have those every now and again. The comments in the interview on the Pod this week about the cap being absorbed by the retention of existing players just came across to me as a hint not to expect big names.
I think the days of premiership signing non English internationals are gone. There is plenty of stardust through the squad which is why we need some solidity bringing in imo. Also as you and others have mentioned the Stewardm Chessum, Martin, Reffell of this world are going to need more money to retain
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:21 pm So based off bits of chatter and the guys who have re-signed today I’m guessing the squad will look something like this for next season:

15 - Steward, Brown (+ Gourlay and Daniels)
14 - Watson, Simmons (+ Satala)
13 - Kelly, (New Signing? - Perese), Porter? (+ Cusick and Davies)
12 - Kata, Cokanasiga (+ Woodward and Myall)
11 - Hassell-Collins, Bassett (+ Kinder)
10 - Pollard, Shillcock, Wilkinson (+Meredith)
9 - JVP, Youngs, Whiteley (+ Edwards and Allan)
8 - (New signing? - an other Back row/8) Hatherell (+ Koroiyadi and Williams)
7 - Reffell, Cracknell? (+ Ilione, J Manz and Beddall)
6 - Liebenberg, Rogerson? (+ Carnduff and Perkins)
5 - O Chessum, Henderson (+ Thomas)
4 - Martin, Wells, Carter? (+ L Chessum, T Manz?)
3 - Cole, Heyes, Hurd, Richardson? (+ Hoyt, Crane? and Mountford)
2 - Montoya, Dolly?, Clare?, Theobald-Thomas (+ Vanes, Smith?, and Clarke)
1 - (New signing? - West?), Whitcombe, Cronin, (New Signing? - Eloff?), (+ Van der Flier, Miell)

Largely settled which I think is what the coaches are going for.

New centre/s, Prop/s and No.8/back row and think we’ll be largely there.

Maybe ok for next season if we can start to gel the attack together - then will be interesting when the likes of Pollard, Cole, Youngs, Brown etc come up for renewal the season after and how the squad looks with those guys in/out!
No Matt Scott?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:53 pm
GB72 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:49 pm
I think the days of premiership signing non English internationals are gone. There is plenty of stardust through the squad which is why we need some solidity bringing in imo. Also as you and others have mentioned the Stewardm Chessum, Martin, Reffell of this world are going to need more money to retain
They are all under contract from my understanding (and I could be wrong). To spend up to the cap next year as stated, we need to spend the additional £1.4 million pounds plus the salaries from any departing players and any increase to Pollard's salary if we re-sign would be outside of that as he is a marquee. Not sure any of the signings from yesterday would have racked up the wage bill massively but we will see.

To be fair, in my opinion, I think spending up to the cap irrespective would be wrong. I would like to see a financially stable club first.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

To be fair, in my opinion, I think spending up to the cap irrespective would be wrong. I would like to see a financially stable club first

That would be prudent
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

GB72 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:28 pm
sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:20 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:42 am Are we expecting new signings to be announced today?
That tends to assume there will be any new signings :smt002

I'm sure Andrea said most of the additional cap will be used for retention of existing players.
I will say that I am not totally convinced about the statements saying we will spend up to the cap. There are so many things that our ability to do that must depend on that we just cannot ascertain. Season ticket sales at the new prices, the new TV deal, the player release deal from England etc. The most recent interview with Andrea sort of suggested that we have maxed out on other revenue sources and hence the high ticket prices and so I am just not sure, with all of the uncertainties mentioned, how we can be so confident that we can spend up to the cap. Just as an example (and this could simply be a choice as to the type of players we want) but when Ford left, we had Pollard signed within a few weeks (at least that is what it seems like), a star player was leaving, we announced another star to replace him. Now Jasper is leaving and it is rumoured that we may not replace etc. All very different.

As I said, time will tell and I very much hope to be proven wrong and will more than happily chow down on some humble pie if I am.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

SASCOkid wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:56 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:21 pm So based off bits of chatter and the guys who have re-signed today I’m guessing the squad will look something like this for next season:

15 - Steward, Brown (+ Gourlay and Daniels)
14 - Watson, Simmons (+ Satala)
13 - Kelly, (New Signing? - Perese), Porter? (+ Cusick and Davies)
12 - Kata, Cokanasiga (+ Woodward and Myall)
11 - Hassell-Collins, Bassett (+ Kinder)
10 - Pollard, Shillcock, Wilkinson (+Meredith)
9 - JVP, Youngs, Whiteley (+ Edwards and Allan)
8 - (New signing? - an other Back row/8) Hatherell (+ Koroiyadi and Williams)
7 - Reffell, Cracknell? (+ Ilione, J Manz and Beddall)
6 - Liebenberg, Rogerson? (+ Carnduff and Perkins)
5 - O Chessum, Henderson (+ Thomas)
4 - Martin, Wells, Carter? (+ L Chessum, T Manz?)
3 - Cole, Heyes, Hurd, Richardson? (+ Hoyt, Crane? and Mountford)
2 - Montoya, Dolly?, Clare?, Theobald-Thomas (+ Vanes, Smith?, and Clarke)
1 - (New signing? - West?), Whitcombe, Cronin, (New Signing? - Eloff?), (+ Van der Flier, Miell)

Largely settled which I think is what the coaches are going for.

New centre/s, Prop/s and No.8/back row and think we’ll be largely there.

Maybe ok for next season if we can start to gel the attack together - then will be interesting when the likes of Pollard, Cole, Youngs, Brown etc come up for renewal the season after and how the squad looks with those guys in/out!
No Matt Scott?
One poster reckoned Scott wouldn’t be with us next season so I went on that assumption.

More than happy to keep Scott though and use Porter as a winger more (assuming he is staying too…)
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Yep, Scott is moving back to Scotland.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

GB72 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:28 pm
sapajo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:20 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:42 am Are we expecting new signings to be announced today?
That tends to assume there will be any new signings :smt002
The most recent interview with Andrea sort of suggested that we have maxed out on other revenue sources
I don’t remember it like that, I’m sure she said we didn’t want to rely on the generosity of our major shareholders
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Based solely on appearances you could easily let go Porter, Watson, Dolly and see zero impact. Now ofc it’s a bit simplistic as others could be injured next season and they could be fine. The message from Andrea and others is that we don’t need the same size of squad any longer due to 10 game prem and minimal international overlaps. So fewer players and higher calibre.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

If we need a back 3 player then Ravutaumada at the Drua would be an excellent pick up, he reminds me of a speedier Goneva
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:15 am If we need a back 3 player then Ravutaumada at the Drua would be an excellent pick up, he reminds me of a speedier Goneva
Yeah there's a couple of Drua guys I'd like us to be looking at and he'd be one, particularly if we're looking at impact out wide. Comfortable on both wings and at fullback. Played at the world cup and at 24 prime age to bring over. Unfortunately I suspect French clubs will wave more money at him than we will be able to but I'd hope we'd still have a look.

Same with the Drua captain and 8 Derenalagi looks like the natural successor to Mata for the Fijian national team. Played well at the world cup. Wouldn't be like for like with Weise but we could certainly help him up his work in the tight and he'd bring a handling ability to our pack that we don't currently have. Could very much run moves off of him in the way England used to with Mako Vunipola, which stretches defence and stops the number of double tackles on the forward carriers.