LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by sk 88 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:39 am Depends if the moneys there,if it is keep him in case we lose a few 6N and there's injuries to contend with too as well as him covering 6.
Worth remembering in the 6N we will have an absolute maximum of 1 Premiership game in the pre-tournament training week & 2 Prem Cup games. Even were Ollie Chessum & George Martin both called up we'd still have Sam Carter, Harry Wells, Cameron Henderson, Lewis Chessum for the Premiership game & all those bar potentially Henderson for a Prem Cup semi final.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:16 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:56 am They were chatting on the Rolling Maul pod about the fact Mike Williams is on a short term contract.
Has it actually been confirmed as fact that Mike Williams is on a "short term contract" that most assume is up mid season?

Or is it as factual as Mike Brown only being signed "until the end of the 6 Nations to cover Freddie Steward" last season when he was always on a contract until at least the end of 22/23 season?
Mike Williams said October in an interview on Radio Leicester that was reported elsewhere too.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It will be interesting to see who gets called up.

The World Cup may well be a watershed for many current internationals who may well retire from international duty or be retired!
This may mean others are called up.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:21 pm It will be interesting to see who gets called up.

The World Cup may well be a watershed for many current internationals who may well retire from international duty or be retired!
If as touted the selections are for a 4 year World Cup cycle you would expect quite a few of this squad to be phased out
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:42 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:21 pm It will be interesting to see who gets called up.

If as touted the selections are for a 4 year World Cup cycle you would expect quite a few of this squad to be phased out
I don't think there will be a mass culling of the squad before the 6N. Phasing out of the older guys ahead of the next world cup will probably take place over time. A lot depends on form as well.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:17 pm

I don't think there will be a mass culling of the squad before the 6N. Phasing out of the older guys ahead of the next world cup will probably take place over time. A lot depends on form as well.
Which is why I used the term phased out. A couple are moving to France, Ribbans and Marchant Willis, the likes of Cole, George Vunipola, Tuilagi, will be too old, but there are plenty are plenty of youngsters Smith, Steward, Chessum, Martin, Earl Rodd, who will be in their prime plus some 30 year olds who have another couple of years left at test level. Just as an example the following pack would be available in 4 years, their age next yo them

Genge- 32
Dan - 26
Heyes - 28
Martin- 26
Chessum - 27
Hill - 28
Pearson - 27
Earl - 29
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:51 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:17 pm

Which is why I used the term phased out. A couple are moving to France, Ribbans and Marchant Willis, the likes of Cole, George Vunipola, Tuilagi, will be too old, but there are plenty are plenty of youngsters Smith, Steward, Chessum, Martin, Earl Rodd, who will be in their prime plus some 30 year olds who have another couple of years left at test level. Just as an example the following pack would be available in 4 years, their age next yo them

Genge- 32
Dan - 26
Heyes - 28
Martin- 26
Chessum - 27
Hill - 28
Pearson - 27
Earl - 29
Itoje is the same age as Genge. He could quite easily make another world cup. Will Stuart a year younger.

It'll depend on development of the young guys coming obviously but I'd expect the likes of Manu and George to still be around for the 6N and George probably fancies one last tilt at the Lions.

I'm more interested in how Borthwick and the new attack coach Felix Jones look to develop how England attack. Whether they'll change things to suit Marcus Smith or keep things more pragmatic and then look to bring on Fin Smith as a more natural fit.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The talk seems to be around building a new back line round Smith, we will have to see.
I think everyone will agree that there is still plenty of experience and a good mixture of youth. There is a weakness in certain areas, in depth, certainly front row and possibly the centres but time May bring other options
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:52 pm The talk seems to be around building a new back line round Smith, we will have to see.
I think everyone will agree that there is still plenty of experience and a good mixture of youth. There is a weakness in certain areas, in depth, certainly front row and possibly the centres but time May bring other options
Which Smith? :smt005

Marcus Smith is the media darling but he's not really delivered in the 10 shirt so far. I suspect he'll need to learn to adapt or play impact sub.

At 12 we've got some good options in Kelly and Seb Atkinson coming through. Ma'asi White, Olly Hartley and Woodward here look promising also. Will Joseph is already capped and moving to Quins to replace Marchant could potentially be really good for him. Lawrence is still young, Anyanwu at Quins is big and quick a potential diamond to polish up. Dingwall at 24 could yet come good.

I have concerns over 9 as JVP is the only youngster with any real number of caps. Mitchell is starting to catch up but Randall and Quirke only have a handful a piece and there's questions over them. Ben Spencer's time has surely gone, maybe Gus Warr to come in before Scotland convince him to change allegiances?

As you say props are a concern though there are some young guys that could come good.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66890447

Certainly if Sutherland is the rumoured LH we were linked with it's definitely not a done deal
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/is-this- ... ndy-goode/

With Eddie Jones’ position becoming more precarious each game (that Australia lose), should we be worried about the repercussions of the ARU sacking their head coach?

Do you think DMac would go if they wanted him, and do you think Andrea would let him?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Portugese 14, anyone?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

fentiger wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:23 pm Portugese 14, anyone?
The 15, 7 and 8 are pretty useful too

I’m really enjoying this despite the commentator
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:22 pm https://www.rugbypass.com/news/is-this- ... ndy-goode/

With Eddie Jones’ position becoming more precarious each game (that Australia lose), should we be worried about the repercussions of the ARU sacking their head coach?

Do you think DMac would go if they wanted him, and do you think Andrea would let him?
Said all along I was worried,let’s hope the contract is watertight with no breaks! I’ve been assured on here that Jones will be kept regardless as they’re a money issue but I can’t see Jones staying if he went out in the group stages,building for 2027 or not. He would get strips torn off him at every angle,plus Japan want him too. If the job became available it’s something McKellar would seriously have to think about as it might not come up again for a while. Watch this space!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No6_Flanker wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:22 pm https://www.rugbypass.com/news/is-this- ... ndy-goode/

Having been burnt once I can’t see the club getting caught again. I would expect there to be a very prohibitive buy out clause