World Cup Squad Announcements

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

World Cup Squad Announcements

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Seen a few bits on other threads about world cup squads, so thought maybe easier to actually make a thread to properly put the squads on.

Think I'm right in saying Kata is the first Tiger officially in a world cup squad
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: World Cup Squad Announcements

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:20 pm Seen a few bits on other threads about world cup squads, so thought maybe easier to actually make a thread to properly put the squads on.

Think I'm right in saying Kata is the first Tiger officially in a world cup squad
Yup, he's in the Tonga squad of 35
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

First RWC training squad we've had a player named in to my knowledge.

The Boks have named a 40-man squad (now 41-man with Kleyn added) for the three round 2023 Rugby Championship though. Including Wiese and Pollard as expected. I'd presume that's going to be used basically as warmups similar to these big training squads.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:50 pm First RWC training squad we've had a player named in to my knowledge.

The Boks have named a 40-man squad (now 41-man with Kleyn added) for the three round 2023 Rugby Championship though. Including Wiese and Pollard as expected. I'd presume that's going to be used basically as warmups similar to these big training squads.
Yes their 33 man squad will come from that group. As you say rugby championship is only 3 rounds this year so games spread out with lots of training in between
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Now Ken Owens has pulled out the Welsh RWC squad!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:36 pm Now Ken Owens has pulled out the Welsh RWC squad!
A player that gives it ALL for his country but his back injury, age and others are not on his side. A proud Welshman - take a breather.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

There is an argument that the "Sheriff" has hurt his back carrying the rest of the Welsh tight 5 recently.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:31 pm There is an argument that the "Sheriff" has hurt his back carrying the rest of the Welsh tight 5 recently.
Isn’t Coley also known a The Sheriff amongst other things.
Maybe there’s only room for 1 Sheriff at RWC
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Putting this here Just watched the first episode of This Rose on YouTube which covers the first 2 weeks of England training
Very interesting and assume it is going to carry on up to and through the World Cup
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-27201803

:censored:... just a bit of casual waterboarding in Wales warm up prep, hope Reffell doesn't come back with PTSD
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:46 pm https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-27201803

:censored:... just a bit of casual waterboarding in Wales warm up prep, hope Reffell doesn't come back with PTSD
Didn't SA do something similar for their prep for the 2003 WC? Didn't work out too well for them.
thunderbirds

Post by thunderbirds »

Surely that borders on abuse- can't see how that helps anyone
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Its especially bizarre considering Gatland will be pretty familiar with the majority of the squad, wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to get sacked
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:19 pm Its especially bizarre considering Gatland will be pretty familiar with the majority of the squad, wouldn't surprise me if he's trying to get sacked
There is zero percent chance the WRU could afford that IMO
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The yellow card bunker system used in SR will be introduced for the RWC. I didn't catch any Super Rugby this season but was this process used for ALB blatant red card and after the 10 minutes of looking it was still deemed to be a yellow?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer