England Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

England Squad

Post by kpj tiger »

OK so that's the season done and dusted, who would be in your England 33 man squad and your starting XV if you'd like

LH: Genge, Rapava Ruskin, McIntyre
Hooker: George, LCD, Dan
TH: Sinkler, Stuart, Heyes
Lock: Itoje, Ribbans, Lawes, Chessum/Martin
Backrow: T Curry, J Willis, Pearson, T Willis, Z Mercer, Martin/Ludlam
SH: Youngs, Mitchel, Spencer
FH: Farrell, Ford
Centre: Lawrence, Tuilagi, Kelly, Marchant
Back 3: Steward, Watson, Murley, Arundell, Daly

I've gone with some left field picks so I'll explain them, McIntyre for me has been the best scrummaging loosehead this season and the only one who might stand a chance against France or SA. Theo Dan is worth the punt as the reserve hooker for his sheer explosivity, Tom Willis should get a go he's been getting rave reviews playing in the Top14 and seems a bit more solid than Mercer, Simmonds or Dombrandt , Spencer edges JVP who I think is bang out of form at the moment.

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinkler
4. Martin
5. Itoje
6. J Willis
7. Curry
8. T Willis
9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Murley
12. Kelly
13. Lawrence
14. Watson
15. Steward

16. LCD
17. Rapava Ruskin
18. Stuart
19. Chessum
20. Pearson
21. Mitchell
22. Ford
23. Daly
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: England Squad

Post by Rugbygramps »

Going on a 33 man squad, has that been confirmed yet ?

L/h - Genge, Obano, Rodd
Hooker - LCD, George, Dunn
T/h - Stewart, Sinclair, Cole
Locks- Itoje, Hill, Lawes, Ribbans, Martin (unfortunately can’t see Chessum being fit in time.
Back row - Tom Curry, Jack Willis, Earl, Pearson, Mercer.

S/h - JVP, Mitchell, Youngs
F/h - Farrell, Ford
Centre - Tuilagi, Kelly, Slade, Lawrence
Back 3 - Steward, Watson, Malins, Murley, Daley.

Genge
LCD
Steward
Itoje
Martin
Curry
Willis
Earl

Youngs
Farrell
Malins
Kelly
Lawrence
Watson
Steward

Bench

George
Rodd
Sinclair
Lawes
Earl
Mitchell
Ford
Daley
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Here's my 33 man squad: (Think 33 man has been confirmed by WR)

LH Prop - Genge, Raparva-Ruskin, Obano
Hooker - George, LCD, Dan
TH Prop - Cole, Sinckler, Stuart
Lock - Itoje, Martin, Lawes, Hill
Backrow - T Curry, Willis, Willis, Mercer, Ludlam, Pearson
SH - Youngs, JVP, Quirke
FH - Farrell, Ford
Centres - Lawrence, Kelly, Tuilagi, Slade
Back 3 - Steward, Watson, Arundell, Malins
Utility back - Daly

Tough to leave out Earl, Murley, Smith, Spencer, Mitchell, OHC in particular.

Also assuming Ollie Chessum won't make the squad due to injury - otherwise he takes Jonny Hill's place at lock.

Tough call for captain - but between Genge, Ford and Farrell for me.

23 of:

Genge, George, Cole
Itoje, Martin
Curry, Mercer, J Willis
JVP, Farrell
Kelly, Lawrence
Watson, Steward, Malins

LCD, Raparva-Ruskin, Sinckler
Lawes, T Willis
Quirke, Ford, Daly
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

As sure as eggs are eggs Farrell will be captain, though he and Ford may be co captains
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hill is a penalty machine so would take Ribbans .
A2O
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

ay2oh wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:01 pm Hill is a penalty machine so would take Ribbans .
If Ribbans wasn't off to France I'd agree, but personally aside for positions where we need them (LCD, J. Willis) id look to dis-include those who choose to go to France after the WC.

Personal preference of course.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:13 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:01 pm Hill is a penalty machine so would take Ribbans .
If Ribbans wasn't off to France I'd agree, but personally aside for positions where we need them (LCD, J. Willis) id look to dis-include those who choose to go to France after the WC.

Personal preference of course.
Johnny Hill is a good player, he was a machine in the semi final against us but he does hurt the team by giving at least one nonsensical penalty each game. He gave Sarries an easy 3 yesterday right in front of the posts.

I think it's to early to decide on the squad yet. I'm hoping to see Freeman, Pearson, Blamire, Fin Smith, Martin, Warr and others get the chance to put their hands up in the pre tournament friendlies. Make competition for the places.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:31 am I've gone with some left field picks so I'll explain them, McIntyre for me has been the best scrummaging loosehead this season and the only one who might stand a chance against France or SA.
It's crazy how sometimes a change of club changes a players fortunes, when he was leaving Wasps there was a bit of chat about whether we'd want him at Tigers, and quite a few said not, now he's in discussion for England.

viewtopic.php?p=784519&hilit=McIntyre#p784519
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:28 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:31 am I've gone with some left field picks so I'll explain them, McIntyre for me has been the best scrummaging loosehead this season and the only one who might stand a chance against France or SA.
It's crazy how sometimes a change of club changes a players fortunes, when he was leaving Wasps there was a bit of chat about whether we'd want him at Tigers, and quite a few said not, now he's in discussion for England.

Yeah fair play to him he's really worked hard on his technique and has done really well at Sale. A player's ability and form isn't a stationary thing, he's really found another gear and I wouldn't be against him getting a run out in a friendly to show whether he can step up to international level.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Under the Jones era I lost interest in England after the total mess up in the final against South Africa when he sold us down the river, now finding it hard to have any interest in this World Cup too. No build up, no real idea of who will play, how we will go, feels like we will just be winging it.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:44 pm

Yeah fair play to him he's really worked hard on his technique and has done really well at Sale. A player's ability and form isn't a stationary thing, he's really found another gear and I wouldn't be against him getting a run out in a friendly to show whether he can step up to international level.
I think it also shows how the right setup can really get the most out of a player, take Brown and Ashton when they joined us too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:03 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:44 pm

I think it also shows how the right setup can really get the most out of a player, take Brown and Ashton when they joined us too.
Very true.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

For me Ribbans is just not powerful enough for international rugby.
Sadly Chessum is unlikely to be fit enough after his ankle injury.
I would go with Martin.

Lawes doesn’t see himself as a lock but for me he would be on the bench to cover 2nd and back row.

The thing to bear in mind that England need to play enough new blood. The team that made the final wasn’t quite good enough and were outmuscled by South Africa.

Key positions are tight head and inside centre and 8 that have been problematic. Sinckler has regressed at Bristol.
Farrell, if he plays is fly half and not inside centre, if not the midfield won’t work.

Quarter finals probably but not much further unless a miracle is worked by the coaching side.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:41 pm Under the Jones era I lost interest in England after the total mess up in the final against South Africa when he sold us down the river, now finding it hard to have any interest in this World Cup too. No build up, no real idea of who will play, how we will go, feels like we will just be winging it.
I get the England thing, but it's the hope that kills you right ? I still remember how good that semi-final win was, we played some great rugby to beat NZ, shame we couldn't back it up a week later. In terms of this World Cup, i'm the opposite, can't wait for it as it should be a cracker, with at least South Africa, France, NZ and Ireland all in with a realistic shot of winning it, with Argentina, Australia and England capable of beating anyone in a one-off game, and the "lesser" nations providing more of a threat in the group stages for the "big guns" to be worried - and Scotland could have a say in the Group of death (with Ireland and the Springboks). A lot of players returning to their country of origin which could make for some interesting group games. With the time difference not being an issue and the real possibility of the French riding the wave and winning the whole thing, it should be a belter. France v New Zealand as the opener should be enough to get the juices flowing - 8th September.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

As much as he is a bit of a tool, you can't leave out Ben Earl in my opinion.