Champions Cup Final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Champions Cup Final

Post by johnthegriff »

As always the Disciplinary system is biased towards the Irish. Rugby does itself favours by decisions like this, any one else, any other country except possibly New Zealand and this would have been a lengthy ban.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:38 am As always the Disciplinary system is biased towards the Irish. Rugby does itself favours by decisions like this, any one else, any other country except possibly New Zealand and this would have been a lengthy ban.
I suppose it depends on what was actually said, given Mr Hartley got 11 weeks for his outburst you could perhaps infer it was less aggressive than that. Also given he wasn't actually playing in the match I don't know if he would be considered support staff for Leinster which might be why it was Leinster who were fined and not him. However I do agree with the sentiment that the punishment is pretty much a slap on the wrist and is effectively inconsequential.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Quelle surprise
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wigworth wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:39 am
johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:38 am As always the Disciplinary system is biased towards the Irish. Rugby does itself favours by decisions like this, any one else, any other country except possibly New Zealand and this would have been a lengthy ban.
I suppose it depends on what was actually said, given Mr Hartley got 11 weeks for his outburst you could perhaps infer it was less aggressive than that. Also given he wasn't actually playing in the match I don't know if he would be considered support staff for Leinster which might be why it was Leinster who were fined and not him. However I do agree with the sentiment that the punishment is pretty much a slap on the wrist and is effectively inconsequential.
It depends massively on what he said and if he actually apologised after the event. We need to see the transcript to see what went on.

Hartley swore at the ref and to this day insists he didn't aim it at the ref (despite looking at him as he said it).

Tom Youngs got a smaller ban than Sexton after the Bristol front row cheating debacle at Welford Rd having also sworn at the ref after the game but apologising directly and privately after the event. Tom walked onto the pitch to confront the ref as well albeit he'd been subbed earlier in the game iirc.

Three weeks is in line with other citings dependant on what has been said obviously.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Always been a running joke this, for nearly two decades. I was so pleased their parade got rained on TBH, poor Johnny must have thought it a shoo-in after 3 games at home and then the final.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.