Super User
Super User

RPA awards 2023

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65627105

Jasper Wiese has won the RPA player award

Freddie Steward the England player award

Big show of how other pros see them
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: RPA awards 2023

Post by TigerCam »

Brilliant, well deserved. The downside is their price tag will increase.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

TigerCam wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:46 am Brilliant, well deserved. The downside is their price tag will increase.
Freddie’s just signed a new contract so doesn’t matter
A2O
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I would imagine the chances of keeping Jasper beyond his contract are fairly small
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Why?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:01 pmWhy?
I think it will certainly be a lot harder to keep him. That said, he could easily end up being our next "excluded player" from the cap.

I also hope we've got Tom Pearson's agent on speed-dial. Surely a conversation has to be had if the worst happens at Irish.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:23 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:01 pmWhy?
I think it will certainly be a lot harder to keep him. That said, he could easily end up being our next "excluded player" from the cap.

I also hope we've got Tom Pearson's agent on speed-dial. Surely a conversation has to be had if the worst happens at Irish.
I'm not sure it will be THAT much harder, when he originally signed he was signed to be injury cover and depth at 8 behind Cyle Brink. So would have been on wages reflecting that.

However when he signed an extension, he was already on the fringes of the Springbok squad, so is probably on "International" wages as is.

Yes he's progressed since then, but he's spoken about how much Tigers as a club means to him, I think he'll stay most likely at least one more contract cycle.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I can’t believe Freddy Steward won - I only believe what I read on here and as far as I am aware he’s not fast enough, not strong enough, doesn’t beat a man and is basically massively overrated and been rubbish all year.

The RPA have clearly got it wrong or don’t know as we do.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:59 pm I can’t believe Freddy Steward won - I only believe what I read on here and as far as I am aware he’s not fast enough, not strong enough, doesn’t beat a man and is basically massively overrated and been rubbish all year.

The RPA is only voted on by players, they clearly have no understanding or feel for the game, they need to leave it to armchair pundits to put them right.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I'm not so sure that Jasper will move.I get the feeling that he feels very settled here and enjoys playing with this group of players and appreciates the support of the MWWR crowd.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:11 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:59 pm I can’t believe Freddy Steward won - I only believe what I read on here and as far as I am aware he’s not fast enough, not strong enough, doesn’t beat a man and is basically massively overrated and been rubbish all year.

The RPA is only voted on by players, they clearly have no understanding or feel for the game, they need to leave it to armchair pundits to put them right.
Maybe the players voted for him because he’s always the first to get the beers in?!

I do think that in the last couple of months he has looked increasingly tired. There’s been a lot asked of him from both 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and 🐯 since he came to peoples’ notice. I just hope he gets a good rest and shows the world what he’s made of come September.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:11 pm

Yes, if professionals listened to the words of wisdom found below the line in rugby-related media pieces, they’d understand just what a waste of space Freddie Stewart is🤔

To be serious for a moment, it’s great that he got this recognition. He’s had a rapid shift from being the ‘hot new kid on the block’ to the tall poppy who everyone seems to want to take down, so being honoured by those best place to judge him will hopefully be a huge boost to him.

As for Jasper - also delighted for him. I suspect amongst pros that No 8s are largely ranked on the basis of “which opponent do I least want to see pick up the ball from the back of a scrum and head down my channel?” In which case, his award was probably a foregone conclusion!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:59 pm I'm not so sure that Jasper will move.I get the feeling that he feels very settled here and enjoys playing with this group of players and appreciates the support of the MWWR crowd.
I watched the YouTube piece from the dressing room after the semi and the emotion JW showed implies to me he is a true Tiger and will stay. Certainly hope so. (I voted for him as my player of the season as well, so not biased!)
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Jasper is such a huge player for us but with Pollard now here I think Jasper will stay.
French Clubs might tempt him away after next season but the South Africans fit in well in the Uk.
Whatever happens he has been a Superstar for us.