Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Exiles set for Exile?

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/AlexMLowe/status/16 ... fudiQ&s=19

It does not look great at this point
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:30 pm I suppose at the bare minimum, this gives the staff one last cheque they might not have had otherwise.
True. But should the very worst happen, then every passing day diminishes the chances of any staff/players securing jobs elsewhere...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:20 am
Darc Tiger wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:30 pm I suppose at the bare minimum, this gives the staff one last cheque they might not have had otherwise.
True. But should the very worst happen, then every passing day diminishes the chances of any staff/players securing jobs elsewhere...
I'm sure I read that the players and staff were very strongly in favour of the extension, so that they could get some payment.

They'll all already be looking for new jobs so a week won't make any difference.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

It is all very confusing now. If the takeover deal was dead in the water and the club was going to be allowed to crash then there is no logical reason for the current owner to pay even half of the salaries (I am assuming that it was not done out of the goodness of his hear). That surely implies that there is hope for it to be sorted by next week and, in fact, what we are seeing is some pretty horrendous brinksmanship. Guessing the current owners do not see why they should cover the whole wages bill when the takeover should already have been completed.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:43 am
I'm sure I read that the players and staff were very strongly in favour of the extension, so that they could get some payment.

They'll all already be looking for new jobs so a week won't make any difference.
There's looking and then there's signing a new contract. The latter is key, and to do that I think they have to be free of any old contract first...
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Is there any reliable information what the "red-tape" issues are?

This, to me, seems to be the crux. Are their genuine but solvable reasons for the delay.

It's been going on for some time and surely it can't be that difficult...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ourla wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:43 pm Is there any reliable information what the "red-tape" issues are?

This, to me, seems to be the crux. Are their genuine but solvable reasons for the delay.

Well the RFU supposedly didn't want to grant the extension, so they don't think the issues will be solved, it was reported that it was only the players request to the RFU that they and (possibly more relevantly) other staff, get some wages to help them
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:42 pm
ourla wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:43 pm Is there any reliable information what the "red-tape" issues are?

Well the RFU supposedly didn't want to grant the extension, so they don't think the issues will be solved, it was reported that it was only the players request to the RFU that they and (possibly more relevantly) other staff, get some wages to help them
That is what is so contradictory. If there is no chance of the deal going through, it makes no sense that the current owner offered to stump up 50% of the wages to get a week's extension.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

GB72 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:48 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:42 pm

That is what is so contradictory. If there is no chance of the deal going through, it makes no sense that the current owner offered to stump up 50% of the wages to get a week's extension.
The RFU doubt it will go through, the current owner you'd think is desperate for it to go through...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:26 pm
Tiglon wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:43 am

There's looking and then there's signing a new contract. The latter is key, and to do that I think they have to be free of any old contract first...
Sure, but the players and staff specifically asked the RFU to give the club an extension, so I don't think we need to be outraged on their behalf when they've been given something they've asked for.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

'............The Government has stepped in to drag rugby union out of its financial crisis after a disastrous year that looks set to end with London Irish becoming the third top-flight club to unravel.

Ralph Rimmer, the former Rugby Football League chief executive, and Chris Pilling, a board member of UK Sport, have been appointed to help rugby union “reshape its strategic financial and sporting direction”.

Telegraph Sport understands the repayment of Covid loans could be examined, and perhaps renegotiated, as part of this collaboration, which has been prompted by a dire year of upheaval that could see a third club go to the wall next Tuesday when Irish face their deadline.

“The Government supports the RFU and PRL’s work to stabilise professional rugby union including attracting new capital investment,” read a statement from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. “It shares the concerns of fans about where the game goes next, and has appointed two independent advisers to work with the RFU and PRL on their plans to restructure the Professional Game Agreement.

“The issues at Worcester, Wasps and London Irish have laid bare the challenges facing the sport of rugby union. The inability of rugby clubs to raise capital investment and the financial challenges at various levels within the game have contributed to the need for urgent work to help secure rugby union’s immediate future and advise on its future direction.”

The statement also suggested that the Government would be “taking further action to further protect its investment on behalf of taxpayers” after providing “a financial lifeline to keep elite and grassroots rugby afloat during the pandemic”.

Rimmer and Pilling will work closely with CVC as well as the RFU and PRL, reporting directly to Lucy Fraser, the secretary of state for culture, media and sport. Rimmer served as the chief executive of the RFL between 2018 and 2022, a period that saw him secure a 12-year strategic partnership with IMG.

IMG are bidding to grow rugby league with some radical policies. One of these is a grading system that appears likely to govern promotion and relegation to and from the Super League from 2024, where organisations will be marked out of 20 on factors besides performance. These include fandom, finances, their stadium and their prominence within the local community. This could chime with Telegraph Sport’s revelation last month that Wasps are being considered for a franchise place in the Championship as the RFU and PRL ponder ways to strengthen the second tier below what is expected to end up as a 10-team Premiership.

Pilling has held senior roles as HSBC, Asda, Walmart and British Airways and sits on the boards of Barclays Bank and Musgrave as well as UK Sport.

“I absolutely recognise the importance of this sporting pyramid to communities across the country,” Rimmer said. “I also understand from my own experiences in rugby league the challenges and pressures which the sport currently faces and I’m confident that I can help all parties in creating not just a sustainable future but also an exciting one.”

Premiership Rugby chief executive Simon Massie-Taylor confirmed that a newly formed sporting commission for the Premiership would be announced imminently and that elements of a financial monitoring panel would be in place for next season.

“We welcome the Government acknowledging the role that they play in helping stabilise the future of the Premiership,” Massie-Taylor said.

“And we are looking forward to working with Ralph and Chris as we finalise our plans for the future of the professional game with our partners at The RFU, RPA and other key rugby stakeholders.

“In the coming days we will also announce our newly-formed Sporting Commission. And former Government adviser Sir Nigel Boardman has also commenced work on formulating new financial regulations, as part of our financial monitoring panel, with the first elements planned to be in place for the start of the new season.”

RFU chief executive Bill Sweeney, meanwhile, reiterated his commitment to solidifying the second tier of English rugby union as part of the ongoing professional game agreement negotiations.

“The RFU and PRL have been working collaboratively for some time on a joint strategy to stabilise and transform Rugby Union following the exceptional challenges created by Covid,” he said.

“Government choosing to work with us on this process is an important and much appreciated development and we are delighted to welcome Ralph and Chris to support the work we are doing to re-shape the future of the professional game.

“The restructuring of the professional game agreement into a strategic partnership provides a great opportunity for all stakeholders to set aside self-interest and collaborate to reset and secure the future long-term sustainable growth of the professional game including developing the strongest possible second tier.”

London Irish have been a one-week extension on the deadline for their buyers to demonstrate meaningful substance or for the current owner, Mick Crossan, to demonstrate that he will be able to fund the club through next season.

Fail to meet that “final” ultimatum on June 6 will see the club suspended less than a year after Worcester Warriors and then Wasps went into administration.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

HMRC have lodged a winding up petition! (according to Telegraph @ 6pm)
Give blood, play rugby!!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Tax Man commeth, if I ran a business the one creditor I'd ensure was paid was HMRC, they don't screw around
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

wardy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:21 pm HMRC have lodged a winding up petition! (according to Telegraph @ 6pm)
If they are involved am I right in saying there is more to it than unpaid salaries
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:27 pm
wardy wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:21 pm HMRC have lodged a winding up petition! (according to Telegraph @ 6pm)
If they are involved am I right in saying there is more to it than unpaid salaries
I doubt they issue winding up orders for small sums of money