Exiles set for Exile?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Exiles set for Exile?

Post by Rugbygramps »

As has been mentioned by other posters the effects of Covid have had/are still having a long lasting effect on clubs.
Even without my Tigers tinted glasses on I would say we are at least as secure financially as any of the other 9 remaining clubs
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:50 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:39 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:26 pm

According to "Ruck" it's Tigers and Chiefs.

That is According to Ruck.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/failed-to-come-g ... suspended/
Click bait I believe is the term. It says that a £13 million investment was required, which they got otherwise administrators may have been required.
Didn't say it wasn't. Did say "According to Ruck!"
I totally agree with you just emphasising your point
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

WildGoose wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:06 pm So obviously this is conjecture but a friend got a sports massage from the Exiles' physio (or one of them, I imagine they have a few) and was told that two other clubs are about to go to the wall. Falcons and, erm, well, apparently we are. Is that bogus? How worried are we/should we be?

Click bait I believe is the term. It says that a £13 million investment was required, which they got otherwise administrators may have been required.
I would agree with that assessment
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Unfortunately the club game is deteriorating into a bit of a car crash with many clubs struggling. My point/question relates to the differences and similarities to county cricket. The county cricket clubs seem to survive on very thin pickings. Less than premiership rugby I would guess. Does rugby's issues relate to being over stretched from a wages point of view? What is the issue with the rugby business model??
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:30 pm Unfortunately the club game is deteriorating into a bit of a car crash with many clubs struggling. My point/question relates to the differences and similarities to county cricket. The county cricket clubs seem to survive on very thin pickings. Less than premiership rugby I would guess. Does rugby's issues relate to being over stretched from a wages point of view? What is the issue with the rugby business model??
Quite simply, without being smart , expenditure outweighing income....
Drinking champagne when they can only really afford lemonade....
Clubs have to cut their cloth accordingly.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

They all got involved in an arms race that the league simply is not strong enough to support.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:30 pm Unfortunately the club game is deteriorating into a bit of a car crash with many clubs struggling. My point/question relates to the differences and similarities to county cricket. The county cricket clubs seem to survive on very thin pickings. Less than premiership rugby I would guess. Does rugby's issues relate to being over stretched from a wages point of view? What is the issue with the rugby business model??
Put very simply the game has become unsustainable in its current format. Salaries were pushed higher and higher by players wanting to make the most out of what is a comparatively short career, who can blame them, and clubs wanting to compete on the European stage with the likes of Leinster and the mega rich french clubs.
This was then escalated by wealthy individuals who could afford to drop a few million a year, backing clubs who could not survive without their support, and also more unscrupulous individuals looking to make a fast buck, or launching schemes to the public that were doomed to fail.
Couple this with the RFU and latterly the Premiership, inability to administer a professional game properly and you have a scenario that was never going to work
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Tigersunited wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:26 am Is that because he left the rfu to join prl, so the figure reflects payment by the rfu for part of the financial year.
Correct.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The RFU won’t have a national team at this rate!
Me being a cynic think that’s The RFUs plan to get clubs to go to “provincial teams!”
Sadly I doubt the majority of clubs’ fans won’t support this.
But:
How can Premiership Clubs survive on 9 Premiership games??
Newcastle are run wisely and the season before last made a profit.
Quins have great marketing people so should be ok.
Saracens, Bath will be ok. Rich owners!
I may be wrong but nothing has been said about next season!
Yes: there’s the new Cup format but surely clubs need:
a)extra home games
b) no clashes with Six Nations!

What a shambles!
Last edited by Ian Cant on Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:54 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:50 pm

Didn't say it wasn't. Did say "According to Ruck!"
I totally agree with you just emphasising your point
:smt023
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

WildGoose wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:06 pm So obviously this is conjecture but a friend got a sports massage from the Exiles' physio (or one of them, I imagine they have a few) and was told that two other clubs are about to go to the wall. Falcons and, erm, well, apparently we are. Is that bogus? How worried are we/should we be?

Perhaps we are named because we said what we were doing in public, as did Chiefs.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The marquee player idea destroyed the aims of the salary cap which was to create a level playing field, to have two players outside the cap handed the advantage back to the super rich sugar daddy. Not only that it inflated the wage demands of other players in the squad creating the demand for increases in the cap.I
We must in future demand that every team submits a business plan we!l in advance of each season accompanied by personal guarantees from directors of necessary showing that all expenses and wages will be met for the season. It may also help.If the wage cap was based on a club's turnover and ability to pay. It seems few clubs have the courage and common sense of Fa!cons to live within their means.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Maybe a British and Irish Super League is required, look for some serious investment to build and promote it.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I’d imagine there are heated discussions going on with Scottish and Richmond. The plan for 10/10 is clearly ripe for bringing in a year early now, but the championship needs a trim for the numbers to work. Sweeney is guilty of sleeping at the wheel, and now has a hell of a job to put something viable together for next season, at least he gets a bit more time with the late start for the Premiership.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I doubt it.
The presence of the Irish regions with one in particular and to a lesser extent another benefitting from the lions share of funding has made the league unwinnable for the Welsh clubs who merged into regions an lost identity for no real gain.

Let England pick players who play elsewhere. Can’t afford superstar salaries any more.
Reduce the salary cap? £4,000,000? Allow teams to exceed this but for every £1 over comes with a requirement to pay £1 to a shared fund. 60% pooled between the Premiership and Championship sides.
Get rid of the excess of foreign players. It is harming player development. Out of the EU the Kolpak agreement ended? Two lower budget leagues. Why try and fund a World all stars league? 2 max non-England qualified players in the 23. World ruby May gave the foreign Grandad rule but if you want to play for a Premiership side then you have to choose England. Sounds harsh but in these stretched finances we have to accept that this is not a development league for other nations.
Last edited by mol2 on Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.