Exiles set for Exile?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Exiles set for Exile?

Post by Darc Tiger »

Thought it deserved its own thread at this point.

RFU Statement:

City A.M. reporting today that players at the club are still confident the takeover by an American consortium will go though.

https://www.cityam.com/london-irish-cou ... be-proved/
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Exiles set for Exile?

Post by Hot_Charlie »

"Players at the club are saying what they are told to say!"

A sorry state of affairs. I just can't get the motivation in buying a club that's heavily in debt and in a loss making sport that has few major assets other than a training ground.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:11 am
Darc Tiger wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:06 pm Thought it deserved its own thread at this point.

City A.M. reporting today that players at the club are still confident the takeover by an American consortium will go though.

https://www.cityam.com/london-irish-cou ... be-proved/
"Players at the club are saying what they are told to say!"

A sorry state of affairs. I just can't get the motivation in buying a club that's heavily in debt and in a loss making sport that has few major assets other than a training ground.
The vast majority of London Irish's debt is to their current owner, so it is quite possible they are writing debts off as part of the sale (also why he's not happy with putting more money in atm helping cover wages etc)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Certainly do not want Exiles to be suspended from the Premiership and hope they can pull through this and move on from there current predicament. That said if they do get suspended I speculate that a number of players may be looking for future employment elsewhere.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I really hope LI are rescued in time but the RFU are taking the right steps having seen Wuss and Wasps go under this season. Either prove you can operate for next season or don't enter the competition. No more cowboys living on a wing and prayer.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Let's not forget we had our own mid-season cash issues.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:45 pm Let's not forget we had our own mid-season cash issues.
I'm not sure a persuasively worded set of financial documents in support of an investment from known, trusted and well respected sources is quite in the same league of predicament.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:45 pm Let's not forget we had our own mid-season cash issues.
I'm sure most clubs are finding times tough. It's going to take a long time to get over Covid.

Still makes sense for the RFU to ask every club to provide evidence they have adequate finances for next season.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

Am I right in saying that PRL are still putting the salary cap up season after next, even in the wake of the overall financial instability?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigersunited wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:13 pm Am I right in saying that PRL are still putting the salary cap up season after next, even in the wake of the overall financial instability?
Yep. The argument would be it's a cap, not a compulsion. But yes, pretty much every club bar maybe one will try and get as close to it as they can, if not hit it. On current performance, as long as their owners have deep pockets, that's probably ok, but...
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

You've got to speculate to accumulate or what ever....

Lots of companies borrow to expand and increase revenue. If you have a chance to bolster your squad and potentially do better in the league/europe and therefore increase revunue with more sponsors and bums on seats etc. then why not.

Yes its a finacial risk, and the clubs need to ask themselves and their backers about it, but for some it could be worth it. Others maybe not and you need to know your limits in any kind of business. If the opportunity isn't there, then the growth is stifled.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ads wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:08 am You've got to speculate to accumulate or what ever....

Lots of companies borrow to expand and increase revenue. If you have a chance to bolster your squad and potentially do better in the league/europe and therefore increase revunue with more sponsors and bums on seats etc. then why not.

Yes its a finacial risk, and the clubs need to ask themselves and their backers about it, but for some it could be worth it. Others maybe not and you need to know your limits in any kind of business. If the opportunity isn't there, then the growth is stifled.
I think the big problem with that is you can be the most successful club in Europe and you still aren't going to make money out of rugby. Yes, you've got to speculate to accumulate but in the current climate, why on earth would you speculate on English domestic rugby?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

hire some damn professional marketing men to bring in a bigger TV deal and more sponsorship, stop shooting yourself in the foot by scheduling marquee fixtures during international windows so the stars aren't there. Then maybe the league might become more financially viable.

BT Sport's (soon to be TNT Sports) coverage is great but did they even compete for the last contract or was it handed to them? If they and Sky have some agreement not to compete for rights sue them, its illegal.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

If Irish don't get sorted by the end of the month and get removed from the 23/24 Prem it must be asked "what is the smallest league size viable to continue?"
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

We need two 12 team leagues with P&R. And then the cup comp involving all 24 teams.
But we also need people to pull their fingers out and get on with trying to make it happen.

IMO anyway...