Exiles set for Exile?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Exiles set for Exile?

Post by Rugbygramps »

Salaries are key especially for those at middle lower ends of the spectrum. A Freddie Steward earning £200k plus England earnings, plus free stash from designer clothing brands is going to be ok.

Start taking money from squad players there needs to some sort of pay off, be it study time for qualifications, training for another trade after rugby as 2 examples
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

10 team idea is going well then.....

https://twitter.com/MattHughesDM/status ... 1380764687
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

If there are enough fixtures to fulfil the contract I doubt they can force it
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:46 pm If there are enough fixtures to fulfil the contract I doubt they can force it
I agree, there would still be plenty of matches, they would just have to do 4 a weekend rather than 3
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:55 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:46 pm If there are enough fixtures to fulfil the contract I doubt they can force it
I agree, there would still be plenty of matches, they would just have to do 4 a weekend rather than 3
Not about total matches but when they are.
Going to 18 rounds lose 6 weekends meaning TNT need to pay for something else to show unless PRL keep 26 rounds with teams having bye weeks, so 3/4 matches a week rather than 5.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Farmboy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:19 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:55 pm
Not about total matches but when they are.
Going to 18 rounds lose 6 weekends meaning TNT need to pay for something else to show unless PRL keep 26 rounds with teams having bye weeks, so 3/4 matches a week rather than 5.
Right thanks. So with 10 teams there will be 18 match weekends, no bye weekends required. Has TV coverage been sorted for the new format PRC yet, there’s 5 weeks
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

HOW SAFE ARE WE?

Post by Dangerous4 »

Now that London Irish have gone, some reports mention that both Exeter and ourselves are walking the tightrope, concerning the possibility being next into administration. Thus, can we afford our big name stars?

The situation, I think, for all Premiership clubs is precarious. I'm amazed that Sarries with all their stars to pay, still appear to be a viable business.

In March we were very close to going into administration. Could we really be next?

I hope I am not re-hashing any previous posts. If so, then many apologies.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: HOW SAFE ARE WE?

Post by ay2oh »

It’s only the ruck muckraking adding one and one and making ten. When there was a motion for the two Toms to put money into the club earlier this year the wording included the word administration in order to make the shareholders aware of the seriousness of our situation. It is a moot point how close we were to folding but the £13M put in was to secure our medium term future after covid+ 2 clubs going bust decimated our cash flow. AFAIK our club is now reasonably solid if of course the RFU/PRL have a plan going forward.
A2O
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Hardly surprising BT/TNT are doing this, it's not just fewer matches, it's fewer interested fans as well. If the league is smaller, it's worth less money.

Pretty straightforward and inevitable.

I doubt it will mean a reduction in TV revenue per club compared to last season, but equally there's unlikely to be extra shared around to mitigate fewer home matches.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Really don't like to be a doom monger but this thread paints a pretty dreadful picture for the future of the sport in the UK

https://twitter.com/RugbyPodcast/status ... 0593904644
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: HOW SAFE ARE WE?

Post by daktari »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:50 pm Now that London Irish have gone, some reports mention that both Exeter and ourselves are walking the tightrope, concerning the possibility being next into administration. Thus, can we afford our big name stars?

The situation, I think, for all Premiership clubs is precarious. I'm amazed that Sarries with all their stars to pay, still appear to be a viable business.

In March we were very close to going into administration. Could we really be next?

I hope I am not re-hashing any previous posts. If so, then many apologies.
Saracens aren’t a viable business, it’s a hobby that’s having money put in to it.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

This was, of course, entirely forseeable but some wear peculiar spectacles. Andrew Brownsword, he of the greetings card business, was the first big sponsor of Bristol. He said, as he left, "If I'd known how much it was going to cost me I would never have become involved".
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
PJM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PJM »

Sorry to see what’s happened to the Not Nots.

If BT/TNT get a rebate do you think I will get one too?

Its a rhetorical question by the way!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

There is a middle ground between everything is hunky dory and professional rugby is going to implode.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:17 pm This was, of course, entirely forseeable but some wear peculiar spectacles. Andrew Brownsword, he of the greetings card business, was the first big sponsor of Bristol. He said, as he left, "If I'd known how much it was going to cost me I would never have become involved".
Bear in mind though, this is a man who will sit in his car and wait for an hour while his wife gets her haircut, rather than pay £20 for parking, despite being worth £200m :smt044

Lovely man, but not one to waste money and far too sensible to keep losing cash on a rugby club. I think it was Bath he owned, wasn't it? IIRC the drugs scandal there was a big part of him walking away as well, but I might have got that muddled up.