Re: Exiles set for Exile?

Post by Darc Tiger »

Apparently its over
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:22 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:29 pm Statement expected at 7pm apparently.
Absolutely cannot wait to see Bill Sweeney and Simon Massie-Taylor spin this as if they're saving rugby by deliberately throwing Irish to the wolves
Why is it throwing them to the wolves by this pair, wages not paid, HMRC banging on the door, can't see how we can blame the RFU or PRL for this one.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:52 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:29 pm Statement expected at 7pm apparently.
Absolutely cannot wait to see Bill Sweeney and Simon Massie-Taylor spin this as if they're saving rugby by deliberately throwing Irish to the wolves
Why is it throwing them to the wolves by this pair, wages not paid, HMRC banging on the door, can't see how we can blame the RFU or PRL for this one.
Totally agree another case of financial mismanagement and having no business plan moving forward.
Different from the other 2 but equally as troubling and in many ways less surprising
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:55 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:52 pm

Totally agree another case of financial mismanagement and having no business plan moving forward.
Different from the other 2 but equally as troubling and in many ways less surprising
This is the danger of relying on a sugar daddy, when the decide they want to stop putting money in then you are in big trouble.

Clubs are being hammered by Covid loan repayments at a time when they are still recovering from the effects of Covid on their businesses.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

So obviously this is conjecture but a friend got a sports massage from the Exiles' physio (or one of them, I imagine they have a few) and was told that two other clubs are about to go to the wall. Falcons and, erm, well, apparently we are. Is that bogus? How worried are we/should we be?
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

WildGoose wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:06 pm So obviously this is conjecture but a friend got a sports massage from the Exiles' physio (or one of them, I imagine they have a few) and was told that two other clubs are about to go to the wall. Falcons and, erm, well, apparently we are. Is that bogus? How worried are we/should we be?
Blimey. At this rate BT Sport coverage will consist of Saracens A playing Saracens B.

On a serious point, I expect the work of Andrea et al has had a large proportion of their time allocated to securing financial sustainability.
As Good As It Gets
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

WildGoose wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:06 pm So obviously this is conjecture but a friend got a sports massage from the Exiles' physio (or one of them, I imagine they have a few) and was told that two other clubs are about to go to the wall. Falcons and, erm, well, apparently we are. Is that bogus? How worried are we/should we be?
In the current world there are no guarantees. Falcons have always prided themselves with being able to survive under the cap.
I think I’m right in saying that our 2 major shareholders have invested around £13 million in the last 12 months to help shore things up. We also own the ground, a membership of around 12000 and an average home gate of around 20000, so would suggest there are others that may struggle more than us, with Quins and Exeter being near the top of that list
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

According to "Ruck" it's Tigers and Chiefs.

That is According to Ruck.

https://www.ruck.co.uk/failed-to-come-g ... suspended/
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Irish will be unable to participate in any league next season
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

RPA statement, including quotes from RFU and PRL: https://therpa.co.uk/news/2023/6/statem ... don-irish/
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:26 pm

Click bait I believe is the term. It says that a £13 million investment was required, which they got otherwise administrators may have been required.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Desperately sad news.

English rugby is on it's knees. Really concerning.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

It's possible he'd only read that article rather than some kind of secret insider knowledge! Presumably if it were that bad, there would be a need for a sale, which would have probably hit the news by now.

Still it is concerning.
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:39 pm

Click bait I believe is the term. It says that a £13 million investment was required, which they got otherwise administrators may have been required.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:39 pm

Didn't say it wasn't. Did say "According to Ruck!"
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"