Exiles set for Exile?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Exiles set for Exile?

Post by ads »

Its not nice for anyone involved or for the game itself but the RFU do need to be strict to prevent this sort of thing happening again. A five team league doesn't help anyone....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I do find it amazing that the club itself has no funds at all to pay its staff & the payroll comes direct from the owner, that is a business that isn't a going concern.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:55 am I do find it amazing that the club itself has no funds at all to pay its staff & the payroll comes direct from the owner, that is a business that isn't a going concern.
Isn't that basically all clubs in the English Premiership?

Club "We're running out of money"
Owner/Shareholders "Here, have some more"

Repeat ad nauseam

Only this time

Club "We've run out of money"
Owner "Tough"
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/TightFive_Rugby/sta ... Z8LeQ&s=19

RFU sound like they have rejected it, deadline 7pm tonight to pay all salaries.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:22 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:55 am I do find it amazing that the club itself has no funds at all to pay its staff & the payroll comes direct from the owner, that is a business that isn't a going concern.
Isn't that basically all clubs in the English Premiership?

Club "We're running out of money"
Owner/Shareholders "Here, have some more"

Repeat ad nauseam

Only this time

Club "We've run out of money"
Owner "Tough"
At which point you could argue the club is "trading" illegally.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Very few professional sports clubs would have money to continue if it were not for the sponsors/owners, so in this respect LI are not unusual. Gate/TV money isn’t enough to cover the cost of a team. A lot of sponsorship is needed.
The problem when a single one of those is the difference between survival and bankruptcy and it pulls out. Be that a big corporate one or individual benefactor who doesn’t feel the benefit to their business justifies it or they simply lack the funds to continue.

The big benefactor is so much easier but the risks are so much greater if they move on or they run short on cash.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

With a bit of spare cash it is so easy to buy into a Rugby Club that has little by way of assets. Tigers, Gloucester, Saints and one of two others own their grounds so it will take serious money to buy them. Worcester were in that situation but apparently we're ripped off. A club owning it's own facilities can earn on non match days and can benefit in so many extra ways where as a club paying to hire a stadium for a match starts with a massive expense that cannot be justified by returns, that club is therefore vulnerable.
I really hope Irish survive, I have memories of wonderful.visits to them before they moved homes. With hindsight they should have looked to buy a ground they could develop rather than paying to hire The Madjeski or Brentford.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:06 pm
I really hope Irish survive, I have memories of wonderful.visits to them before they moved homes. With hindsight they should have looked to buy a ground they could develop rather than paying to hire The Madjeski or Brentford.
Similar to Wasps, except they eventually bought a ground that they couldn't afford.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

RFU. = Chocolate Teapot?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The proposed new American owners I think were planning on investing in the development of Wimbledon AFC's new ground for some level of stake in the stadium.

Obviously that was dependent on a successful takeover...
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Hot Charlie Wasps or their owner sold their ground and moved them to Loftus Rd which was awful.for rugby, no idea what happened to the money. Wycombe for them was not bad, it was about the right size. The move to Coventry financed by a Bond scheme that was frankly foolish, leave your fans behind lose several.millions of pounds a year knowing that the bonds needed repaying at the end of the term whilst playing in a stadium that was three times the size needed. These things cannot be done overnight, and a team must remember that it's fans ( customers) are an asset that you must not desert. Irish in Brentford are not that far from their origins, if they find a ground in the London area they have a chance assuming they have the backing to continue for a season or three.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

It seems the RFU have extended the deadline to June 6. Though quite what difference 4 business days will have, at this point, is anyone's guess.
It seems it'll be a continuation of uncertainty for all those involved with LI.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I suppose at the bare minimum, this gives the staff one last cheque they might not have had otherwise.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:01 am https://twitter.com/TightFive_Rugby/sta ... Z8LeQ&s=19

I read it that the RFU have acquiesced to the 50% payment at the request of staff and players, whilst being disappointed that it is not payment in full. That seems weak by the RFU but nobody can say they are not giving LI every chance
As Good As It Gets
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scuttle wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:41 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:01 am https://twitter.com/TightFive_Rugby/sta ... Z8LeQ&s=19

I read it that the RFU have acquiesced to the 50% payment at the request of staff and players, whilst being disappointed that it is not payment in full. That seems weak by the RFU but nobody can say they are not giving LI every chance
Yeah they accepted the 50% in the end to still give them the extra week.