Next season Champions Cup - 2023/2024

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Next season Champions Cup - 2023/2024

Post by ourla »

As ever I think our approach might change depending on circumstances.

Our form, injury situation. Form of the opposition. Before the first game or two. If we are already in good shape in the Prem not suffering too many injuries we could have a crack.

And then if we do/don't do well in those first couple, we can re-evaluate.

I agree with new coaching team and tough draw it might be a year to concentrate on the Prem.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

While personally, I've done with European competition, I'd be amazed if Tigers did anything to suggest the same. Any press release or team selection with a whiff of "we're not going to bother, because we're not good enough" would surely be unthinkable by the club.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Could be just a case of staying on the Borthwick route and going gun team at home and rotating away,which I expect will happen anyway
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
coolbawn

Post by coolbawn »

I think we can't go back to the old pools with one more home match because the Top14 clubs insisted on a shorter Champions Cup so they had an extra weekend for their league. I imagine the PRL agreed with this.

It was the representatives of the three leagues who allowed EPCR to do away with seeding below the top 4. Madness. What oversight is there ? Who agreed to it ? We can only wonder.

I assume they now need time before announcing fixtures because they need to liaise with the three leagues to minimize toing and froing between Europe and South Africa. If so, that's fair enough in theory.

Presumably in the near future the impact of all the English talent only being spread across 10 teams will strengthen those teams (see Quins recruitment from LI). Assuming the leakage to France and Japan can be stemmed.

The IRFU doesn't manipulate all the top players from Ireland into Leinster ! Relative to the tiny Irish population, lots of good players are born and brought up in Leinster and they generally try to stay there and be picked by Leinster. In the 23 which beat up France this year, 12 or 13 were not Leinster players.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Huh, how does this seeding system work? Must have been worked out by Saints fans…..

On the flip side, that’s some amazing teams visiting Welford Road. Some weekends away to savour. And as the inevitable underdogs we effectively get a free hit.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:34 pm Huh, how does this seeding system work? Must have been worked out by Saints fans…..

On the flip side, that’s some amazing teams visiting Welford Road. Some weekends away to savour. And as the inevitable underdogs we effectively get a free hit.
4 seeds
La Rochelle - Champions Cup winners
Saracens - Premiership winners
Toulouse - Top 14 winners
Munster - URC winners

Problem was there was no other seeding rankings in it after that an open draw, our group has the runners up of every competition in it.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

The failure of Leinster to win the URC really does throw off the pool stages.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:34 pm Huh, how does this seeding system work? Must have been worked out by Saints fans…..

Bring it on!! To win it the Tigers have to beat everyone, so be it. Nice test for Dan to see just how good he and his team of coaches. Faint heart and pigs etc comes to mind.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Our group.Probably all teams taking points off each other, winning home games key and nicking some points away..I see no purpose in striving all season to qualify for European Champions Cup.place then not trying to win it. Obviously some squad rotation necessary just like we did in Bordeaux and in Clermont, games will.not be easy but we have a chance. I believe a full squad against Leinster last season and the result might have been different.
Keep the faith.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:54 pm Our group.Probably all teams taking points off each other, winning home games key and nicking some points away..I see no purpose in striving all season to qualify for European Champions Cup.place then not trying to win it. Obviously some squad rotation necessary just like we did in Bordeaux and in Clermont, games will.not be easy but we have a chance. I believe a full squad against Leinster last season and the result might have been different.
Keep the faith.
Coming second in the group gets a home tie in the round of 16 I believe and coming fourth means we still qualify albeit with a difficult away trip.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The top 4 seeds should be the semifinalists from the previous year.
The next (4-8) should be the highest ranked from the leagues or second/third if the the league winners had qualified by being in the top 4 in the last European Cup.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:46 pm The failure of Leinster to win the URC really does throw off the pool stages.
A very enjoyable failure I may add though!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:43 pm https://twitter.com/ChampionsCup/status ... q3MPA&s=19

Group fixtures out tomorrow
Hope its Stormers away :smt005
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ch ... res-230712

Home vs Stormers 10th Dec
Away vs Stade Francais 17th Dec

Away vs La Rochelle 14th Jan
Home vs Leinster 20th Jan