Next season Champions Cup - 2023/2024

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Next season Champions Cup - 2023/2024

Post by ourla »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:26 pm Must say I have no enthusiasm left for this competition.
Why not?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Because it's not a level playing field with the salary cap differences and centrally contracted players.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I still enjoy the competition but I do understand Spain's disillusionment. For me it should be a club competition, I do understand that in Ireland they always had provincial rugby and with fewer player I could understand that but when the I.R.U decided that one province would receive more funding than the others in a cynical attempt to buy glory that was wrong..That players for that team were then specially protected and basically reserved for European and International matches was not in the spirit of rugby in my opinion.
I have no problem with the French clubs having a larger salary cap, they are still club's and maybe we should be looking at their system and marketing to learn from them. I have no idea what South African teams are doing in a European Cup other than in some way it suits the Irish.
I suppose that being ever optimistic I believe that my team Leicester Tigers can beat any other side so I will continue to enjoy the " Heineken " Cup thinking this could be our year until it isn't when I will.look forward to the next season.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:56 am Because it's not a level playing field with the salary cap differences and centrally contracted players.
And yet a French club side has now won it 2 years on the bounce, admittedly with a far larger budget.
It will be interesting to see if there is a change at Leinster with new coaches, and not winning anything lat season
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:11 am
sapajo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:56 am Because it's not a level playing field with the salary cap differences and centrally contracted players.
And yet a French club side has now won it 2 years on the bounce, admittedly with a far larger budget.
Thanks this perfectly illustrates my concerns :smt023
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I take posters points on the uneven playing field.
There seem to be 2 types of fans that post on here, and this is not meant in a derogatory way at all.
Firstly there are the ardent tigers fans who support their team through thick and thin, and take a passing interest in the world wide game. By this I mean the previous comments about the champions cup, and some posters who have said they are not that bothered about RWC even when England are playing, as long as Tigers players come back injury free.
Then there are the rugby fans who support Tigers. I count myself in this bracket. I will watch a good game of rugby no matter who is playing, the whys and wherefores don’t bother me, yes I want Tigers to be successful but I shall be watching the super Rugby Pacific final between the Chiefs and Crusaders on Saturday as it will be a damn good game of rugby .
I have exactly the same feelings about Champions cup games and RWC
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Most things aren't a level playing field.

England is a Tier 1 rugby country, with a wealthy union, several well supported/high profile clubs. So I am not sure we are in a position to claim unfairness.

There has been a lot of talk about Leinster specifically and about how French rugby in general is run - and about what a shit show Wales is. And everything in between. It's hard to create perfect competition. Do you want to go down the NFL route.

And I would argue there is more to it than purely winning - I mean only one team can win it each year.

Just read gramps post which skim reading I broadly agree with.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:43 pm
Most things aren't a level playing field.

England is a Tier 1 rugby country, with a wealthy union, several well supported/high profile clubs. So I am not sure we are in a position to claim unfairness.

There has been a lot of talk about Leinster specifically and about how French rugby in general is run - and about what a shit show Wales is. And everything in between. It's hard to create perfect competition. Do you want to go down the NFL route.

And I would argue there is more to it than purely winning - I mean only one team can win it each year.

Just read gramps post which skim reading I broadly agree with.
You asked and I replied. Just because most things are not a level playing field does not mean that I find the prospect of an an English premiership winning it anytime soon likely.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sapajo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:56 pm You asked and I replied. Just because most things are not a level playing field does not mean that I find the prospect of an an English premiership winning it anytime soon likely.
Sure but by extension you are saying that you only interested when Tigers have a good chance of winning. Which I just find odd.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Regarding the latest complaints about the gradient on the playing surface, perhaps they should ask how an island with a population similar to the English East Midlands region can support for 'outfits' when it has competition from additional team sports? Who says the funds raised in Dublin should be split equally and not according to how / where they are generated? Munster and Ulster have also won the cup, albeit some time ago.

Why do French clubs have bigger budgets? Are they better supported, generate more commercial income, have richer sugar daddies, receive local council subsidies? If the French can do it, why can't the English? Selling off some of the family silver to CVC was short-sighted.

In the English Premiership, some clubs don't spend up to the salary cap. Some have found creative ways to spend more (in the past). Some clubs with sugar daddies want to raise the cap. Tigers fans shouldbe thankful they support a club with a large fans base with the commercial advantages that brings.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:11 pm
sapajo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:56 pm You asked and I replied. Just because most things are not a level playing field does not mean that I find the prospect of an an English premiership winning it anytime soon likely.
Sure but by extension you are saying that you only interested when Tigers have a good chance of winning. Which I just find odd.
I am only interested when Tigers have a fair chance of winning :smt003
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:30 am
ourla wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:11 pm
I am only interested when Tigers have a fair chance of winning :smt003
Tbf depending on the draw we could end with a very favourable draw, in the last 2 seasons we've been unfortunate to face the tournament favourite in the ¼ finals, get a favourable draw this year, with such a high probability of a group of death the draw could give Tigers a better run to the latter rounds
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So we play
La Rochelle
Leinster
Stormer
Stade

Well....... That's easy
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

We are in the pool of death....
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

The absolute state of our pool...