Chris Ashton - Try Scorer | Retirement Tribute

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

StanWilks

Chris Ashton - Try Scorer | Retirement Tribute

Post by StanWilks »

Hi again, Tigers Fans!

Not the result we were hoping for yesterday, and certainly not the end to Ashton's career that we - and certainly he - were hoping for.

The only consolation is that, with him being red carded, I can bring his retirement tribute to you all a little earlier, which I hope is a vast improvement on the tribute I originally made of him: https://youtu.be/5lA15Yg7NOU

I've aimed to make it a more comprehensive piece that features not only his tries, but also his assists and - thanks to a helpful critique from TigerFeetSteve and Offside - his amazing tackle against Saints on his debut that immediately resulted in him being yellow carded.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it. Let's hope his absence won't be too impactful on our semi-final against Sale next week.

Thanks for your time,

Stan.

PS: Tributes for George Martin and Dan Scott are being developed as we speak. The research stage is taking a little longer, but they should be uploaded soon!
Used to play rugby. Kind of a Poundland Cipriani? Yeah, I'll go with that.
Tykger

Re: Chris Ashton - Try Scorer | Retirement Tribute

Post by Tykger »

StanWilks wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:22 am Hi again, Tigers Fans!

Not the result we were hoping for yesterday, and certainly not the end to Ashton's career that we - and certainly he - were hoping for.

The only consolation is that, with him being red carded, I can bring his retirement tribute to you all a little earlier, which I hope is a vast improvement on the tribute I originally made of him: https://youtu.be/5lA15Yg7NOU

I've aimed to make it a more comprehensive piece that features not only his tries, but also his assists and - thanks to a helpful critique from TigerFeetSteve and Offside - his amazing tackle against Saints on his debut that immediately resulted in him being yellow carded.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it. Let's hope his absence won't be too impactful on our semi-final against Sale next week.

Thanks for your time,

Stan.

PS: Tributes for George Martin and Dan Scott are being developed as we speak. The research stage is taking a little longer, but they should be uploaded soon!
Brilliant work as usual Stan. Thank you.

As an aside to the amazing production, how do you choose your soundtracks? They would make a cracking DVD.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Nice video Stan, thanks.

However, I remember the try saving tackle being the one in that Saints match when Ashton came on as a blood bin replacement for Hegarty (?) and tackled Furbank into touch after tracking him back when Furbank broke the line (Saints attacking the Welford Road end). Pretty much his first involvement in a Tigers shirt against one of his old clubs and, of course, our local rivals.

He went back off pitch and then came on later as a full sub, and got yellow carded fairly quickly afterwards.
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Sun May 07, 2023 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

Tykger wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:41 am

Thanks for your time,

Stan.

As an aside to the amazing production, how do you choose your soundtracks? They would make a cracking DVD.
Thanks, man! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, as always. :)

Well, to call it "amazing production" seems a bit of an overstatement, but I appreciate the kind words. Haha.

Great question concerning the soundtracks!

To be honest, I just keep an eye - or ear? - on what I'm listening to at the time and see if any of those songs are conducive with the players I'm covering.

Music, in itself, is emotion so I try to capture said emotion of the player's tribute to the best of my ability. Nadolo, for example, required a song that sounded tough, whereas Burns needed something light and melancholic because he was leaving.

I'm very conscious of just slapping a random song to a tribute for no reason because it sounds cool, so I try my best to ensure that every song choice is necessitated - if not always enjoyed by the viewer.

Thanks for your question. I hope I answered it sufficiently!
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

StanWilks wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:59 am

Thanks for your time,

Stan.

Well, to call it "amazing production" seems a bit of an overstatement, but I appreciate the kind words. Haha.

To be honest, I just keep an eye - or ear? - on what I'm listening to at the time and see if any of those songs are conducive with the players I'm covering.

Music, in itself, is emotion so I try to capture said emotion of the player's tribute to the best of my ability. Nadolo, for example, required a song that sounded tough, whereas Burns needed something light and melancholic because he was leaving.

I'm very conscious of just slapping a random song to a tribute for no reason because it sounds cool, so I try my best to ensure that every song choice is necessitated - if not always enjoyed by the viewer.

Yes. Thats great thanks. Perhaps a 'Best of album' for Christmas??
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:57 am Nice video Stan, thanks.

However, I remember the try saving tackle being the one in that Saints match when Ashton came on as a blood bin replacement for Hegarty (?) and tackled Furbank into touch after tracking him back when Furbank broke the line (Saints attacking the Welford Road end). Pretty much his first involvement in a Tigers shirt against one of his old clubs and, of course, our local rivals.

He went back off pitch and then came on later as a full sub, and got yellow carded fairly quickly afterwards.
Thanks, man. You're welcome!

I stand fully corrected. Having not seen the entire game, I must have confused the two passages of plays. I'm such a donkey. Haha.

Jokes aside, I'm really sorry for confusing the two. Had I known, it would definitely have been in the tribute. What a tackle that was! At this rate, I'll be making a third Chris Ashton tribute. Haha.

Thank you very much for the correction and for reminding me that I need to work on my research skills! :)
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

Tykger wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:02 am

Awesome!

Ooh, that's very cheeky. Perhaps I should? Haha.

If you do want to listen to the music used in all the tributes, I have a playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eYZQ6pbQob
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

StanWilks wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:09 am

I stand fully corrected. Having not seen the entire game, I must have confused the two passages of plays. I'm such a donkey. Haha.

Jokes aside, I'm really sorry for confusing the two. Had I known, it would definitely have been in the tribute. What a tackle that was! At this rate, I'll be making a third Chris Ashton tribute. Haha.

Thank you very much for the correction and for reminding me that I need to work on my research skills! :)
No need for an apology mate, was still a great highlights video to watch :smt038

CA's tackle was good, very good in fact but wasn't quite as good as Mat Tait's 'great' cover tackle Vs Wasps (Dan Robson?) although it was probably exactly what Ashton needed after being signed by Tigers and there being a few dissenting voices due to his *ahem* previous employers :smt002 that endeared him to many on the Terrace at the time.

A 3rd highlights reel of the greatest (so far) Premiership try scorer wouldn't be a bad thing anyway but, if you include all (or most) of his tries, perhaps omit the ones against us - painful viewing at times...

Thanks again.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

:smt023
StanWilks wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:11 am
Tykger wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:02 am

Awesome!

Ooh, that's very cheeky. Perhaps I should? Haha.

If you do want to listen to the music used in all the tributes, I have a playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... eYZQ6pbQob
:smt023
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:15 am
StanWilks wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:09 am

No need for an apology mate, was still a great highlights video to watch :smt038

CA's tackle was good, very good in fact but wasn't quite as good as Mat Tait's 'great' cover tackle Vs Wasps (Dan Robson?) although it was probably exactly what Ashton needed after being signed by Tigers and there being a few dissenting voices due to his *ahem* previous employers :smt002 that endeared him to many on the Terrace at the time.

A 3rd highlights reel of the greatest (so far) Premiership try scorer wouldn't be a bad thing anyway but, if you include all (or most) of his tries, perhaps omit the ones against us - painful viewing at times...

Thanks again.
Good to hear. I appreciate your understanding, and your kind words!

Now that is a tackle I remember! Simply iconic.

Having now seen that tackle, you're absolutely right. It was clearly the perfect way to pledge his allegiance to the Tigers faithful, for lack of a better analysis, after playing for...Saints? I presume it was to them you were referring. ;)

Ha! Interestingly, I was requested to make a tribute of him featuring every single try he's ever scored in the Premiership, but he's been around so long that some of his earliest tries predate PR's highlight videos, so I had to abandon the project.

As a Tigers fan myself, I wouldn't make it now. It hurts seeing him score against us, especially when he was at Saracens. Haha.

Thanks for watching!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Brilliant, as ever, Stan.
Thanks so much
StanWilks

Post by StanWilks »

CJ wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 4:26 pm Brilliant, as ever, Stan.
Thanks so much
Thank you very much, CJ. Very kind of you to say.

More to come!