Tigers v Quins (H) - Saturday 06th May 2023 - KO 4-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grumpy of Crumbie

Re: Tigers v Quins (H) - Saturday 06th May 2023 - KO 4-00pm

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Never like to lose, but……

To prevent the 4th highest points scorers and 2nd highest try scorers from scoring a try for over 40 minutes with 14 men I see as some achievement, particularly as the type of open, wide rugby that Quin’s play would have them odds on to score. Disappointed that we didn’t get over at the end, but winning the second half 10-3 speaks volumes.

Congrats to the coaches and players for having a plan in place to play with 14 and execute it so well that we nearly won the game. Had we done, I’m sure the majority of posts criticising the performance would have proclaimed it as a superb effort.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:55 pm Never like to lose, but……

To prevent the 4th highest points scorers and 2nd highest try scorers from scoring a try for over 40 minutes with 14 men I see as some achievement, particularly as the type of open, wide rugby that Quin’s play would have them odds on to score. Disappointed that we didn’t get over at the end, but winning the second half 10-3 speaks volumes.

Congrats to the coaches and players for having a plan in place to play with 14 and execute it so well that we nearly won the game. Had we done, I’m sure the majority of posts criticising the performance would have proclaimed it as a superb effort.
Yup, hard to disagree with that :smt023
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

I agree with Grumpy, Qbec and mightymouse - what a group of players and staff to have recovered SO well from the gutting of our coaching staff and the loss of players to injury and internationals! And the second half yesterday was a credit to us considering the ref, tmo, and Quins’ antics. We’re a side to be so proud of. Love you, Tigers!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:36 am
AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:37 pm
AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:49 am I just hope that TMO Claire Hodnett does not try and control the game in the TMO role as she has done on previous occasions. Referee Tempest and Adam Leal need to keep her under control with her red card preferences.
Oh dear Tempest was a real disaster and Clair assisted in Ashton's red card. Still cannot believe the over shoulder tackle by Quins did not get any card and they restarted. :smt017
For the second season I believe we have not seen Wayne on the whistle at Welford Road WWW.whynot?
Barnes has been at Welford Road. He was responsible for only sin binning Ramm for the flying shoulder that left Potter's nose blooded. Wayne would have probably mitigated the Ashton tackle down as he seems overly keen to do that recently.
I agree, I think Barnes and Pearce seem to find any way not to give a red.

It's interesting given the recent complaining about the time taken on TMO reviews, that as soon as a referee makes a quick, authoritative decision based on a fairly explicit replay (without viewing it 15 times in super slo-mo), they get criticised.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Just one more whinge regarding the Quins' antics, I'd love to see sides get penalised for preventing a quick tap. Care, and particularly Smith blatantly did this several times on Saturday, the worst in my eyes was when we had a penalty 5 metres out and Smith ran half the length of the pitch then dropped the ball.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

loretta wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:52 amCare, and particularly Smith blatantly did this several times on Saturday, the worst in my eyes was when we had a penalty 5 metres out and Smith ran half the length of the pitch then dropped the ball.
The kind of behaviour that yellow cards would easily stamp out. I remember Healey getting a yellow for tugging the back of Gareth Cooper's shirt as the latter was about to feed a scrum.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

According to the Telegraph, an appeal against Chris Ashton's red card is to be made, and rightfully so, in my opinion.

Here's the article:

Leicester Tigers appeal Chris Ashton red card in bid to play Premiership semi-final
Leicester believe Ashton's dismissal should be overturned thus making him available to face Sale

By
Charles Richardson,
RUGBY REPORTER
9 May 2023 • 9:09pm

Chris Ashton likes the fact that his life has been a series of "highs and lows" as Leicester revealed that they would appeal against the red card that the wing received in the Premiership loss to Harlequins last Saturday.

Ashton, who will retire from professional rugby at the end of the season as the most prolific try-scorer in Premiership history, was sent off by referee Ian Tempest for a shoulder to the head of Harlequins wing Cadan Murley just before half-time at Welford Road last weekend.

Straight after the match, Richard Wigglesworth, Leicester's interim head coach, said the club would appeal if they thought they had a realistic chance of overturning the decision in time for their Premiership semi-final at Sale on Sunday. On Tuesday, Wigglesworth confirmed that he believed it warranted a yellow card, giving Ashton hope of another Tigers appearance.

“When we get the date of the hearing, which I would have thought would be Wednesday we will contest it," Wigglesworth said. “It will be this week and if we get it turned around he will be available. The slipping and the dipping [of Murley], there were mitigating factors in the tackle and the mitigating factors are why we think it is a yellow and not a red.

“I know [referees] have a difficult job - we just want everything to be clear and obvious. If it is a high level of force and danger then the red card is there to protect players.

Regarding decisions being overturned after the event when it is too late - rather than the correct call being made during a match - Wigglesworth added: “They have got to get it right. That is their job. We have got to get our tactics right, the players have got to get themselves right and they have got to get those decisions right."

Speaking to the Rugby Union Weekly podcast on Tuesday, Ashton said he obviously did not wish to be sent off "in any shape or form" but that he "struggled with the positivity" of his retirement week.

"I've had this since I was a child," Ashton, 36, said. "No matter what it is, I've had this way.... high, low, never happy in the middle. It's never intentional but it's just the way my life is.

"Do I like it like that? I've asked myself that many times; I've had to because I've ended up in this situation a lot. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but I think I actually do. I struggled with the positivity of my retirement week. I did not want a red card in any shape or form but it seems like one action always seems to generate another with me. I had all my family down for the game. And they saw me walk off after half an hour - I think I touched the ball twice.

"What was amazing... I've only been at Leicester for a short period of time. I couldn't believe when Ian showed me the red card - you just want to curl up and disappear - but everyone [in the crowd] stood up and clapped. I didn't know how to react. I felt like I owed it to them [to clap back]. I'm very grateful."
Semper in excretia
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Thank goodness Tempo will have nothing to do with the WC - https://www.rugbypass.com/news/world-ru ... -cup-2023/
Hehehehehehehehe
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:59 pm Ashton won the appeal
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union ... gn=KARANGA
Ian Tempest, take careful note of this just decision and next time think twice about being over zealous in your wish to wield the red card!
Semper in excretia
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Wasn't it Tempest who refused to give a penalty try in that infamous Bristol game?
Or have my memory cells gone walkabout - again?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

"What's past is prologue."
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Wow, sense finally prevails in a hearing.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Robespierre wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 9:05 pm
Ian Tempest, take careful note of this just decision and next time think twice about being over zealous in your wish to wield the red card!
A key part of the defence was previously unseen camera angles that weren't available to TMO or Tempest. The hearing took five hours as well and required Murley to give evidence stating initial contact was actually the shoulder. I'm glad Ashton is free to play but I don't think we can blame Tempest for angles he didn't see, testimony he didn't have and not taking five hours to make the decision.

Not that I rate Tempest particularly highly but from the replays BT showed of the incident it looked a red. Just a shame the RFU insisted on doing the hearing on the Thursday, that was a bit of a douche move.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I'm no fan to Tempo but, in the context of the recent coverage that refs have been getting for taking too long over decisions, and noting that he'd just had the extended discussion regarding the Lynagh incident, I can understand why he trusted his instincts to make a quick call. We could have seen a 5 minute discussion between the officials and still seen a red card.