Tigers v Quins (H) - Saturday 06th May 2023 - KO 4-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Louis

Re: Tigers v Quins (H) - Saturday 06th May 2023 - KO 4-00pm

Post by Louis »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:13 pm
Louis wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:06 pm I see what people are saying about that being a bit poor from Tigers today, but the utter dog in that team being a hair's breadth from a win with 14 men for over 40 minutes is, to me, a heartening sight. Even playing badly Tigers have got the old Leicester spirit. Of course I'd rather Tigers win than be impressive losers, but if Tigers had to lose (and at 14 men, the odds weren't in the team's favour), I'll take a well fought loss any day. That shambles against Stains last week was an abomination, for example.
I don't disagree with your comments but with such a strong side, home game, sell-out crowd, opponents not having won away, it shouldn't have got away from us. Even before the red card it didn't look like it was heading our way.
I don't think last weeks result was going to be anything other given the teams put out. Whether we should have included more of our starting 15 could be argued given how rusty some of them looked today
I think that's fair, and granted, I am digging for positives!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I knew Tempo would give a red, but I think Ashy might get off with a yellow on review.

That said, it would be the most 'Chris Ashton' way possible to end a career! :smt005
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Pellsey wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:13 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:11 pm
ads wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:07 pm Didn't see the game as was digging!!

Why did Ashton get sent off, and was that the penalty try?
I've only seen the replay of the Ashton incident and it's a pretty clear red. Ashton is always going in high and Murley steps through one tackle and then starts low and drives up cashing his face into Ashton's shoulder.

Neither player meant it but it's a shoulder direct to the head with force. Ashton is always upright. Sadly no chance of it being rescinded.
So you are saying Murley driving up towards Ashton not mitigation in itself? As you said, he was low. This is mitigation.

I think it was extremly harsh, in any case, especially as the Brown challenge got nothing, not even a penalty.
For me Ashton was absorbing the tackle and Murley changed height....both only slight adjustments but enough where we have seen mitigation to yellow.

The challenge on Brown in the air was at least a penalty. Make contact with a player in the air when you are on the ground and not challenging for the ball must be foul play.

The decision re Wells tackle on Donbrandt was the right decision but with the wrong rationale IMHO. Ref believed that initial contact had been made to the head and said no foul play. TV pictures suggested it was shoulder to shoulder contact. I don't understand how the ref feels that dipping in height means no foul play when he says that there is still head contact. Surely he should have given a penalty ( even though I think that would have been wrong outcome overall.)

All very odd to me.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Tykger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:23 pmAll very odd to me.
All very Tempestuous to me
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:29 pm
Tykger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:23 pmAll very odd to me.
All very Tempestuous to me
'I've got something you need to look at, Tempo' :smt017 :smt044 Well, who'd have thought it :smt017
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Darc Tiger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:19 pm That said, it would be the most 'Chris Ashton' way possible to end a career! :smt005
Getting a standing ovation for being sent off was mildly hilarious! :smt041
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ads wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:07 pm Didn't see the game as was digging!!

Why did Ashton get sent off, and was that the penalty try?
I've only seen the replay of the Ashton incident and it's a pretty clear red. Ashton is always going in high and Murley steps through one tackle and then starts low and drives up cashing his face into Ashton's shoulder.

Neither player meant it but it's a shoulder direct to the head with force. Ashton is always upright. Sadly no chance of it being rescinded.
So you are saying Murley driving up towards Ashton not mitigation in itself? As you said, he was low. This is mitigation.

I think it was extremly harsh, in any case, especially as the Brown challenge got nothing, not even a penalty.
Change in height downwards is mitigation. A player increasing their height as they go into contact is only a problem if the tackler is always high which they shouldn't be.

I think Ashton is trying to wrap him up but he leads with the shoulder, is always high and makes a strong hit. It's a red card by the letter of the law. Now some refs have let other players get away with similar, I'm thinking Ramm's shocker on Potter than Barnes unbelievably only gave a yellow for but if you're going letter of the law it's red unfortunately.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Just back from the game - dreadful spectacle, we were very poor, reffing was even poorer and Quins looked demob happy. The old fella and I left with 10 mins to go, first time in 15+ years of live games we have left early. I take solace from the 2nd half scoreline of 10-3 with 14 men but we need to improve massively for next week. A competent ref would help - Quins in at the side all game on our ball and off their feet on their ball and probably only penalised twice.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:43 pm

Change in height downwards is mitigation. A player increasing their height as they go into contact is only a problem if the tackler is always high which they shouldn't be.

I think Ashton is trying to wrap him up but he leads with the shoulder, is always high and makes a strong hit. It's a red card by the letter of the law. Now some refs have let other players get away with similar, I'm thinking Ramm's shocker on Potter than Barnes unbelievably only gave a yellow for but if you're going letter of the law it's red unfortunately.
I know what you are saying but it looked more to me that Murley was low and aiming his upper body into the standing Ashton, who had very little opportunity to change his stance as he was turning at the time. I don't actually think it would have been possoble for Ashton to actually lower himself to make the tackle lower in time. Any ref worth their salt would have realised this. Unfortunately Tempest was officiating today.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So no Ashton for the semifinal.

Showed fight not to roll over, but it also showed that it was a dead rubber in how we played.

Plenty to go at for next week.

Most importantly nobody got injured, was a bit worried Wells may have been in trouble for Dombrandt, but all good.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also want to compare this to the Exeter game, they were a similar distance behind when they went down a man. They crumpled, we nearly won it....
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The penalisation has to change.

Ball carriers should be required to run upright unless falling in a tackle or diving for the try line.

Murley ducked into the tackle. His actions contributed as much if not more than Ashton’s to the head contact. It’s about time that the responsibility (and sanction) did not fall upon the tackler alone.
I am not suggesting Murley did anything wrong, just that the responsibility and sanction should not be the the tackler’s alone.

As for Dombrant grabbing his face as an afterthought when he had been flattened by Wells was simply wrong.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:53 pm The penalisation has to change.

Ball carriers should be required to run upright unless falling in a tackle or diving for the try line.

Murley ducked into the tackle. His actions contributed as much if not more than Ashton’s to the head contact. It’s about time that the responsibility (and sanction) did not fall upon the tackler alone.
I am not suggesting Murley did anything wrong, just that the responsibility and sanction should not be the the tackler’s alone.

As for Dombrant grabbing his face as an afterthought when he had been flattened by Wells was simply wrong.
Murley started low and drove up into the tackle. It's pretty much textbook technique when looking to bump your way through the tackle. If you were to start penalising players for dropping the shoulder and then trying to drive up through the tackle then 90% of forwards won't last a game.

Ashton was really unlucky to get his height wrong, he's way to upright though and that's the type of tackle that World Rugby have been trying to get away from for some time.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Let’s hope that’s the cobwebs blown away because we need to be a whole lot better next week otherwise it could be game over…..literally.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I got the impression "Tempo" was trying to be a bit macho; perhaps he's had a performance review. The TMO only flagged up the Wells incident after the TV had re-run it. Claire Hadenuff, misses lots, without Oz and BT sport she'd have a very quiet game.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina