Tigers v Quins (H) - Saturday 06th May 2023 - KO 4-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers v Quins (H) - Saturday 06th May 2023 - KO 4-00pm

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:49 am I just hope that TMO Claire Hodnett does not try and control the game in the TMO role as she has done on previous occasions. Referee Tempest and Adam Leal need to keep her under control with her red card preferences.
Oh dear Tempest was a real disaster and Clair assisted in Ashton's red card. Still cannot believe the over shoulder tackle by Quins did not get any card and they restarted. :smt017
For the second season I believe we have not seen Wayne on the whistle at Welford Road WWW.whynot?
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:37 pm
AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:49 am I just hope that TMO Claire Hodnett does not try and control the game in the TMO role as she has done on previous occasions. Referee Tempest and Adam Leal need to keep her under control with her red card preferences.
Oh dear Tempest was a real disaster and Clair assisted in Ashton's red card. Still cannot believe the over shoulder tackle by Quins did not get any card and they restarted. :smt017
For the second season I believe we have not seen Wayne on the whistle at Welford Road WWW.whynot?
Wayne Barnes has been at Welford Road this season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:02 pm That was not good. Only away win for Quins this season too. Very disappointing for the last home game. I simply fail to comprehend why you'd box kick the ball away with minutes to spare: both nines did it.
Better significantly improve before the semi.
Tigers looked rusty - why send a B team to Saints last w/e?
Showed great spirit once again but think the Quinn’s 9-10 partnership was the difference, somewhat better than ours today.
Need to show better game management skills next week, managed to get a ticket so here’s hoping
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Oh dear that was one of the worst matches this year, Tigers, in first half, appeared to be going through the motions, yes you can play but dont do anything to get hurt attitude. I dont want to pick out poor players so MOM for me was Hanro and possibly Potter. Last 10 mins we showed real effort but we lost because of the earlier problems. On todays showing we have no chance next week, but we need to commit more than we did today, we have not had any continuity of games so we were so rusty and non committed.
Our scrum today was all over the place, we could not control our ball, very poor, Quins kept Marler and Collier on for the whole game, Marler takes some controlling, still got the devil in him .
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the match in spite of Tempo's ridiculous decisions. Yes, we played poorly in the 1st half and Quin's quick attacking play was very good but I was impressed by the way we played in the 2nd half and I have ever hope for next week if we play like that. How Tempo can restart with a scrum to Quins after a TMO call for foul play - "never in a realistic position to catch the ball" is beyond me - had to be a yellow for me. Don't get me started on Ashton's red - I was under the impression that when a ball carrier reduces his height just before the tackle that was a mitigation against a red. Murley clearly lower significantly and Ashton had no chance BUT he should have been lower to start with and therefore a yellow would have been the correct decision.
Hehehehehehehehe
eastyorkstiger
Tiger Cub

Post by eastyorkstiger »

i think tempest panics under pressure and gets it in his head and dosent listen or look
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:37 pm
Barnes has been at Welford Road. He was responsible for only sin binning Ramm for the flying shoulder that left Potter's nose blooded. Wayne would have probably mitigated the Ashton tackle down as he seems overly keen to do that recently.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I think our last quarter performance was good and I think the bench played really well.
Special mention to Joe Heyes who absolutely mullered a tiring Marler who should have been penalised in every scrum against Heyes and was only penalised 3 times I think. It shows Quins were vey concerned about our Big Joe as they kept the old man on for so long, obviously did not trust their bench loosehead.
The fight we showed and the energy from a big crowd in the last ten minutes meant we probably deserved the win in the end .. Quins were poor given they had a man advantage for over 50 minutes of the game (Cam’s yellow as well as the red).
Regarding the Wells Dombrant incident… if I had been the referee I would have yellow carded Dombrant for simulation! This is something that needs to be Stamped out of rugby immediately.. it’s becoming far too regular and it’s a disgrace that is bringing the sport into disrepute.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Our gameplan (box, box, box, maul) is very rigid. When it works, it's ruthlessly efficient. Playing the percentages.

When it doesn't, we can look toothless. The box kicks weren't accurate, the kick chase was poor, there was little pressure on Quins receivers. I don't think our more instinctive players, like JVP, are served well by this.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

If we are fortunate enough to be to formulate a strong coaching team for next season.
It will not be as a result of the RFU/Steve Bothwicks activities of ripping the Heart/Lungs/Guts/Back Bone out of the Tigers Coaches.
This is not to say I am not gratful for their contributions to the team before & now.
I am, but I am without doubt angry at the sheer boldness(Toned Down) of taking so much from my Club, I can't think of "Any Club" here or anywhere else in the world that could suffer that kind structural damage to its core & not only survive but acheive as well as we have.
For that I feel the Board of directors have to take a bow for their handling of this continuing situation particularly Andrea Pinchen (CEO) who from what we can see has gone above & beyond to maintain as much as possible the standards of quality expected at this great club of ours.

Then of course there are the players themselves, who without doubt must have been as devastated as we were (& are) at the audacity of not just making the first round of tearing out the Head & Defence Coaches, but then second round which as it now seems the Intrim Head, Scrum Coaches & Head Of Physical Performance.
They have been marvelous, there was a dip, but then they got together came up with a plan of action put a senior leadership team in place discussed how best to manage the way forward & changed the on field captains postion by consensus of all.
Following those actions we have been treated to some of the best games this team have played for a considerable period of time.
And you can see how every player has bought into this approach whenever they are picked & the way they all act alone/together before & after every game the "Matchday Cams" are a delight & should become a fixture from this point on.

The supporters can only react to what they see we don't know the goings on behind the scenes, the strangest of events, I have ever seen yesterday was the standing ovation Chris Ashton got when leaving the field of play following a "Red" card!, Why you might say was that? well it was because we have all seen how he not only fitted in at "Tigers" but became part of that small group of players that "Who play with their heart on their sleeve" which supporters love to see, He is not alone in that now expanding "small group" in the current group of players.

The second half (mind you the first half was dire) yesterday was a delight particularly the replacements, Shame it didn't conclude in the way it seemed it was about to. I think & I may be wrong but our approach yesterday seemed to be go out there do what you can but we don't want anymore injuries so bear that in mind, We only really started to play when the bulk of the replacements were on who certainly took it up a fair old notch or two & were it not for a knock at the end we were On for a win, but not to be.

I will not allow myself to finalise this chapter, just yet as we still have business to attend too, but what I will say is the all those players that will be leaving us at the season end. We thank you one & all for all you have done so far & we wish you success wherever that may take you.

COYT
Last edited by Qbec on Sun May 07, 2023 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree that most of our box kicks were very poor and there were times that we should have used our backs instead. On the whole though I think if we had not decided to substitute our best players we would have won but understand avoiding injury for next week was more important .
A2O
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Not too concerned about yesterday's result or performance. I've got a feeling we weren't exactly busting a gut which I can understand. There was very much an eye on the playoff games which I'm fine with
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

At one moment, the match commentator said that “Quins are now playing with tempo”, which was surely a slip of the tongue - or maybe not? Tempest gives the impression that he’s really looking for head contact and the chance to wave a red card at the unfortunate player. In this case, I firmly agree with those that suggest a yellow would’ve been more appropriate for Chris Ashton, and I hope that the hearing will give him the benefit of the doubt, so he could be available for selection against Sale.
Semper in excretia
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Let's also remember we probably didn't run any set moves etc yesterday, we'll have been doing mainly prep for next weekend's game. No point showing our cards.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:36 pm Let's also remember we probably didn't run any set moves etc yesterday, we'll have been doing mainly prep for next weekend's game. No point showing our cards.
I thought similar too. I felt we pared everything back to doing the basics to build a bit of match fitness back into the legs after a bit of a break, and to give little away that Sale could usefully analyse for next week.
As Good As It Gets