Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: News story on concussion

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:48 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:42 am For anyone that watches IACGMOH,I don’t personally but was already aware of these kind of numbers. Tony Bellew,the former WBC CW world champion estimates that he got hit in the head around 50k a times a year! I don’t believe that is an exaggeration either! And I understand that some will say well sparring gloves are bigger ,but believe me I’ve boxed and those gloves don’t protect those being hit as much as you think, they protect your hands more. And head guards even though they protect to some extent are there more for preventing potential cuts leading up to a fight. A lot of fighters don’t wear them anyway. Im not saying there aren’t cases of brain injuries in boxing but why are here many more in rugby? I honestly don’t know ,does anyone?
I'm no expert, but I would imagine the forces involved in many rugby collisions are more extreme than being punched.
I cant believe there isn't more said about Woman's boxing, there is so much written about breast cancer and repeated blows to a sensitve area must be an increased risk? Similar risk in rugby with tackling?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

What is IACGMOH
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:25 pm What is IACGMOH
I’m a Celebrity Get me Outta Here
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68713327

Football seems to be starting to have issues of their own on concussion.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:19 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68713327

The research around heading and degenerative brain injury in football has been going on for some time but has lacked the traction as most of those affected have been long retired. Jeff Astle was one of the first, his death in 2002 being recorded by the coroner as "death by industrial injury". You just have to look at the number of the 1966 World Cup winning squad who died with dementia likely to have been brought about by many seemingly minor brain traumas; of the 11 I think 7 died with dementia of some kind.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:37 pm
I'm no expert, but I would imagine the forces involved in many rugby collisions are more extreme than being punched.
I cant believe there isn't more said about Woman's boxing, there is so much written about breast cancer and repeated blows to a sensitve area must be an increased risk? Similar risk in rugby with tackling?
[/quote]

Much of that the breast cancer is association rather than causal. Take a blow to the breast or testicles tends to prompt the individual to touch the bruised area and if there happens to be a lump it gets found and investigated. It then becomes all to easy to assume a link between the the two even if they aren’t.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:50 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:19 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68713327

The research around heading and degenerative brain injury in football has been going on for some time but has lacked the traction as most of those affected have been long retired. Jeff Astle was one of the first, his death in 2002 being recorded by the coroner as "death by industrial injury". You just have to look at the number of the 1966 World Cup winning squad who died with dementia likely to have been brought about by many seemingly minor brain traumas; of the 11 I think 7 died with dementia of some kind.
Sad fact is that football is in the same position as the NFL and can pay to make it go away if there are adverse findings and a large court case. A successful suit against a national rugby union with associated damages and ongoing care costs if not covered by insurance would end that union overnight.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I did read that the issues were exacerbated by the old leather balls that used to be used which absorbed water, and therefore weight, like a sponge. Football technology has moved on a huge amount, so part of the problem has been dealt with. It could be said that rugbys biggest issue, secondary concussions, repeated whiplash injuries is only just being understood
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:56 pm

I did read that the issues were exacerbated by the old leather balls that used to be used which absorbed water, and therefore weight, like a sponge. Football technology has moved on a huge amount, so part of the problem has been dealt with. It could be said that rugbys biggest issue, secondary concussions, repeated whiplash injuries is only just being understood
Indeed, the old footballs will have been far, far worse. New footballs do obviously still involve a level of force, but we're not going to see the results of that for many years. There are people doing a lot of research in the background though.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:43 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:56 pm

Indeed, the old footballs will have been far, far worse. New footballs do obviously still involve a level of force, but we're not going to see the results of that for many years. There are people doing a lot of research in the background though.
The fact this article is a current player talking about a match less than 10 years ago he played in while concussed suggests that they'll be pulling results together as fast as they can.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Regarding LE18 comment : This start up company may be if interest

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/all/dom ... rugby/amp/

I had the privilege of mentoring Rosanna and her fellow Students last year to a European award winning innovation of the year .. still looking for funding if anyone is interested l.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Slightly related - I'm running the London Landmarks Half Marathon today in aid of Dementia UK. If anyone would like to donate, you can do so at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dave-king23 - as is custom, I'll be running in my Tigers shirt.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:15 am Slightly related - I'm running the London Landmarks Half Marathon today in aid of Dementia UK. If anyone would like to donate, you can do so at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dave-king23 - as is custom, I'll be running in my Tigers shirt.
Finished in 3.hours 40 and raised over £1,000 so far for Dementia UK