LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:42 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:27 am Was going to say, what’s peoples problems with Williams. Granted he was a bit inconsistent but was quality the first season with us which saw him get a spot in the England squad. Great squad player to have around.
I think it is the inconsistency and also after that first season he has gone no where and hasn’t settled at any club, he also does like to give a penalty away.
That being said he has the physicality and the experience he may well go on to prove all us doubters wrong, it’s been done before
TBF he's had some rough cards delt to him

Worcester was brilliant
Us started well but like with every player struggled with us especially given state of the club
Bath pretty going through the same thing as us
Exeter short term contract who seem to be focusing on young players now

Like I feel if most of those forwards was playing under Borthwick things might have been different.
The forwards didn't look the problem under Cockerill in 2017 I felt.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by RagingBull »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:47 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:27 am Was going to say, what’s peoples problems with Williams. Granted he was a bit inconsistent but was quality the first season with us which saw him get a spot in the England squad. Great squad player to have around.
His discipline was appalling and getting worse for Bath & Exeter, his standards of performance were very low and he was part of the squad with a poor attitude.
How do you separate the players who had a good attitude v the bad attitudes in that period?
Because there was plenty of good players in that squad, only so much a player group can do with 4 different head coaches
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:54 am
sk 88 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:47 am
His discipline was appalling and getting worse for Bath & Exeter, his standards of performance were very low and he was part of the squad with a poor attitude.
How do you separate the players who had a good attitude v the bad attitudes in that period?
Because there was plenty of good players in that squad, only so much a player group can do with 4 different head coaches
You don't, you just move on and don't look back.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I ammot sure why we require Mike Williams back but he was a decent player for us whether playing in second or back row. Unfortunate with a broken arm and coming back too early from it. Certainly I would not fault him for effort or attitude if the rumours are true he adds to squad depth and should t stretch the cap too much.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Let's just see who is announced and let's not pre-judge. I am sure that any hiring decision is well informed.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:32 pm I ammot sure why we require Mike Williams back but he was a decent player for us whether playing in second or back row. Unfortunate with a broken arm and coming back too early from it. Certainly I would not fault him for effort or attitude if the rumours are true he adds to squad depth and should t stretch the cap too much.
The answer is almost certainly down to what senior locks are available. Martin and Chessum are both probably going to the World Cup Henderson possibly is. If as rumoured Wells is injured, that leaves Sam Carter as the only snr lock so a body is required until others become available
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

He was due to be picked at 7 against SA until he got injured
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Williams bad attitude? Never spotted or heard anything like that before tbh
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:39 pm Williams bad attitude? Never spotted or heard anything like that before tbh
Just to be clear no one has said that.

I, and others, said the SQUAD was riddled with bad attitudes at the time, and as a collective its very hard to identify what causes these so a "better safe than sorry" approach of just not getting involved again is what some would prefer. The main issue for me is discipline and quality. The other was a background consideration.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:41 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:39 pm Williams bad attitude? Never spotted or heard anything like that before tbh
Just to be clear no one has said that.

I, and others, said the SQUAD was riddled with bad attitudes at the time, and as a collective its very hard to identify what causes these so a "better safe than sorry" approach of just not getting involved again is what some would prefer. The main issue for me is discipline and quality. The other was a background consideration.
My mistake, was definitely a split in the came. To simplify it it looked like a English Tigers v SH players one to me. It seemed in the end that the SH players looked happy and that couldn't be let happen. But maybe that's just me
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

In terms of "do we need another lock", presuming Calum Green is definitely injured and not capable of playing (as he'd be the first choice I think for most people), I can see Charlie Matthews, Sean Robinson, Greg Petersen, Brendon Nansen, Matt Postelwaite as all available at the moment who I would prefer to going back to Mike Williams. Sean Robinson & Postlethwaite are opposite ends of their careers but fairly similar and reasonable options I think. Matthews, Nansen & Petersen could well be holding out for better offers in ProD2 to be fair.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:49 pm In terms of "do we need another lock", presuming Calum Green is definitely injured and not capable of playing (as he'd be the first choice I think for most people), I can see Charlie Matthews, Sean Robinson, Greg Petersen, Brendon Nansen, Matt Postelwaite as all available at the moment who I would prefer to going back to Mike Williams. Sean Robinson & Postlethwaite are opposite ends of their careers but fairly similar and reasonable options I think. Matthews, Nansen & Petersen could well be holding out for better offers in ProD2 to be fair.
Green has gone mate
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

As said Green is basically retired
Mark Smith has said Robinson has signed for a club abroad
Peterson might interest me more than Williams, but as said he has a build that the Pro d2 is prob very interested in.

Not seen anything to suggest Postelwaite would make sense tbh, he's 26 with 30 premiership caps. Even just from a training POV Williams would make more sense

Charlie Matthews I feel could do better than a short term contract
wolverhampton_tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by wolverhampton_tiger »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:49 pm In terms of "do we need another lock", presuming Calum Green is definitely injured and not capable of playing (as he'd be the first choice I think for most people), I can see Charlie Matthews, Sean Robinson, Greg Petersen, Brendon Nansen, Matt Postelwaite as all available at the moment who I would prefer to going back to Mike Williams. Sean Robinson & Postlethwaite are opposite ends of their careers but fairly similar and reasonable options I think. Matthews, Nansen & Petersen could well be holding out for better offers in ProD2 to be fair.
As others have said, Green left/retired at the end of the season.
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... avers-2223
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Yes, so Green is available and it's only forum chatter that he's retiring hence the "if he's definitely injured" part.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!