LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:14 pm All very good points Charlie, especially given both South Africa and Englands likely participation in the semi finals, meaning those players won’t be seen till mid November at the earliest
I think that's a very valid point; many are writing England off already for the RWC, but all it is group stage results to go our way and the path to the SF is (on-paper) far easier than any other. Even getting to a QF means mid-October, and I haven't seen what mandatory rest period the England players have post tournament exit (or win!).
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 Squad and transfers thread part 2: The Lion, the Wig and the Wardrobe

Post by Rugbygramps »

Without wishing to write off any of the other nations, if England can beat Argentina in the pool stages, they would face a likely quarter final, against Wales or Fiji. Even losing to Argentina quarter finalists would likely be Australia. All of those matches the English should be favourites
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Walsh is more a natural 15 tbh he’s been out injured but he was picked by the u20’s for a reason and looked good for the lions
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:47 pm Walsh is more a natural 15 tbh he’s been out injured but he was picked by the u20’s for a reason and looked good for the lions
And given that after this coming season we definitely won’t have Brown and possibly not Watson depth is key
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I wasn't that convinced by Atkinson's performances, he was behind Gopperth on merit, so I think competition to force him to be on his mettle is to be welcomed.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:40 pm I wasn't that convinced by Atkinson's performances, he was behind Gopperth on merit, so I think competition to force him to be on his mettle is to be welcomed.
Atkinson is a good player and has the potential to be very good but needs a run of games.
A2O
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Bored now....can the rugby season get here already!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sk 88 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:40 pm I wasn't that convinced by Atkinson's performances, he was behind Gopperth on merit, so I think competition to force him to be on his mettle is to be welcomed.
I think a bit of benefit of the doubt has to be given to him. First choice at Wasps but they go bust, suddenly jobless, then new job but behind Freddie and Handre. It's been a hugely disrupted season for him and that must have taken a mental toll.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:28 am
I think a bit of benefit of the doubt has to be given to him. First choice at Wasps but they go bust, suddenly jobless, then new job but behind Freddie and Handre. It's been a hugely disrupted season for him and that must have taken a mental toll.
A very different game plan for him to adjust to as well. At Wasps he had licence to just play what he saw where as here he had to control the game and concentrate on moving his forwards into good positions to turn the screw. His knee injury definitely hampered him.

I still think not moving him into 10 and leaving Gopperth on the bench hindered us in the semi final. We really could have used Gopperth coming on in the second half and giving his experience to guide the side rather than leaving a 9/10/12 combination all 22 or under when up against nearly 90 caps worth of Ford and Prem veteran Sam James.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No doubting his ability for me, just watching him ball in hand he oozes class. Just needs a bit more time and game management. Working with Dickens may well help him
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:38 am
A very different game plan for him to adjust to as well. At Wasps he had licence to just play what he saw where as here he had to control the game and concentrate on moving his forwards into good positions to turn the screw. His knee injury definitely hampered him.

I still think not moving him into 10 and leaving Gopperth on the bench hindered us in the semi final. We really could have used Gopperth coming on in the second half and giving his experience to guide the side rather than leaving a 9/10/12 combination all 22 or under when up against nearly 90 caps worth of Ford and Prem veteran Sam James.
Agree. We really missed Gopperth making sensible decisions in the last 10. Too much blood was rushing around young veins.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:02 pm
Atkinson is a good player and has the potential to be very good but needs a run of games.
Well he needs to EARN a run of games, and the best way to earn a run of games is by having some competition for his place to make sure he needs to play well so that he gives us a headache when Pollard returns from the RWC.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:21 am
ay2oh wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:02 pm
Well he needs to EARN a run of games, and the best way to earn a run of games is by having some competition for his place to make sure he needs to play well so that he gives us a headache when Pollard returns from the RWC.
Not a fan then
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I was impressed by Atkinson from when he made his debut at 15 away to Bath. In my opinion he performed well when selected at 15 or at fly half although his kicking was not as consistent as Gopperth I felt he improved with game time, I am confident we have a good signing there. Shilcock.having seen him.play for both Worcester and Bath is another in the same.mould giving us good depth at both 10 and 15, I do not expect either player to be content to be cover off the bench and I do wonder if one of both of them can add another position to their skill set. World Cup returnees may have a challenge to regain their place in the team.